Disappointed with State Testing Schedule

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Mami1Maestra2, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Mami1Maestra2

Mami1Maestra2 Rookie

Mar 26, 2019

Who decided it was a good idea to have children testing for 2+ hours every day for 5-7 days?
    I will be administering a state test for 5 days, extended time, no less, and then I'll be proctoring for 7-8 additional days, plus possibly being pulled for makeup testing.

I.am.done. The level of total and utter disregard for teaching time has finally made me feel like I need to do something different. I don't know yet, though, since I really do enjoy teaching.

What's more, is that there are people who are contracted but who do not work with students that are on standby.
    I have chosen to opt my child out of this madness, but she will not be getting taught anything because of the testing. We also know that after hours of testing in the morning, teachers are not teaching anything in the afternoons after testing.
    Just.done.

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 26, 2019

You are preaching to the choir here. The last year I taught in public school we tested for 6+ hours 4 days per week for 2 weeks. That was almost nothing considering that since November of that school year, all we were allowed to teach was reading and math test prep.

4. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Mar 26, 2019

This is all so sad. There are so many other things our nation's young people could be learning with an additional one or two weeks of classtime.

Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  5. Sachinm34

Sachinm34 New Member

Mar 27, 2019

very sad. we need more skill to develop.
    Like Bsc In Computer Science is the best option for science students.

6. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Mar 30, 2019

It's that time of year, yes it is.

7. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Mar 31, 2019

Not to be a contrarian, but I prep my high schoolers for two entire weeks just on PSAT math prep and 1 entire week for state tests and I’m able to get through the yearly overview no problem. Not a big deal for me.

8. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Mar 31, 2019

Sorry about that. I'm glad I don't touch test prep in any of my classes.

9. futuremathsprof

Mar 31, 2019

Don’t be sorry. I don’t get why it’s such a hindrance to some people. State test prep is literally built into my curriculum and I can get up to a $3k bonus if my students do well.

10. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Mar 31, 2019

None of the courses I teach have state tests, and the courses that do, don't do any test prep whatsoever, yet our scores are still near the top of the state. If you are teaching the curriculum well, I don't think test prep should really be necessary.

ms.irene and futuremathsprof like this.
  11. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Mar 31, 2019

We don't have any time for test prep. I won't even finish the curriculum by the time for the state test. I'm doing test prep for their weekly homework though.

However, our tests are only for 2 days teach. We also have other testing throughout the year so it does end up being a lot.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  12. futuremathsprof

Mar 31, 2019

True, but I mainly do it because the students who transfer in from outside our school need a *lot* of help. The “tenured” students, I guess you could say, don’t really need it, but I do it for reassurement purposes. However, it’s not enough at my school just to beat the national or state averages. My school aims to have the top or to be among the top 1% of scores statewide and we get anywhere from $1k-$3k depending on our results. I dont want the lesser amount and so I need to teach my students test-taking strategies to do exceptionally well on the exam, not just enough to pass.

13. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 1, 2019

In my state (CA), each district (actually, each school within the district) sets the testing calendar/schedule. The CA Dept of Ed gives us 3 weeks to get testing done, and the way I make the calendar, we're able to finish it up in 2 weeks (with no more than 2 hours of testing each day).

otterpop and futuremathsprof like this.
  14. futuremathsprof

Apr 1, 2019

Well done! What do you do to finish up state testing in 2 weeks instead of 3?

15. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Apr 1, 2019

mathmagic and 3Sons like this.
  16. Mami1Maestra2

Mami1Maestra2 Rookie

Apr 11, 2019

I'm looking to see if we can make some changes to testing. I work with 8-11 year olds, and hours/days long test is not developmentally appropriate.
    I'd like to see the 3rd grade testing cut from 5 days to 2. 1 hour of math, 1 hour of ELA/reading, no more than 50 questions total.
    4th grade cut from 5 days to 2 as well.
    5th grade cut from 7 days of testing to 3.
    The students in our district are grossly over-tested, as they will take district assessments following the standardized testing.

17. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Apr 11, 2019

Good luck with that. I truly hope you are successful but can't imagine the school will change it, or even that it's within the school's power to do so.

Our school is nearly identical to the schedule you shared. It's absurd.

readingrules12 likes this.
  18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 14, 2019

That seems like it would be an incentive to cheat.

otterpop, 3Sons and readingrules12 like this.
  19. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Apr 14, 2019

I agree, but why not? Why aren't teachers using this time to teach?

Students will whine about how much effort they put into testing, but come on -- two hours of testing simply isn't that arduous for anyone over second grade who doesn't also have serious attention problems. And for those who do have serious attention problems, it's the same as every other day anyway.

20. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Apr 14, 2019

We'll be testing for the next six days. In that time, I teach for one day. I understand why you might wish to opt your child out. Sadly, however, in my state opt-outs are scored as a zero, so having students do so can really have a negative impact on a school.

21. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Apr 14, 2019

We test after Easter for a week. It comes.after spring break and I think I have 30 min classes that week instead of 90. I'm not sure yet what We will be doing since it is too short for a lab.