Director Issues

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by pabef, Jun 2, 2018.

1. pabef

pabef Comrade

Jun 2, 2018

I have worked at a church preschool for 16 years. I have been the director and taught all ages. I currently teach the pre-k 4 class and am assistant director. My former director was wonderful, but left in June. Her husband was the church pastor and they were moved. My current director was my coworker and friend. We have been fine until this semester. She has adopted an "I'm the boss" attitude. The staff morale is as low as I've seen. I told her recently that I felt caught in the middle. I hear griping and complaining and encourage the staff to talk to the director but they never do. No one respects her. Even though I try to stay out if it, I agree with many of their complaints. She doesn't want to hear or address the complaints that I have talked to her about. She and I have had other issues recently. Chief among them is that she gave me a job description that is basically a list of crap she doesn't want to do. For instance, I'm to check the sink before I leave each day and if there are dishes, load them in the dishwasher. Also, I'm to stay late every other Friday so she can leave early. I'm trying not to say anything to get fired. My husband thinks with this and other things that have gone on, that she is trying to force me out and hire someone cheaper. I am one of 2 staff with a bachelor's degree. My boss has an associates. I'm considering stepping down as assistant director and requesting to work part time. Thoughts? Suggestions?

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 2, 2018

If you can afford the pay cut, it sounds like a good solution to your problem. Maybe it's just time for a change?

4. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Jun 2, 2018

It looks like it's time to move on! I would find a totally new place to work, I wouldn't even work there part-time

5. pabef

pabef Comrade

Jun 3, 2018

Thanks! I am actively pursuing other job openings and reaching out to contacts. I contacted a parent who had asked me about keeping her 3 elementary school children after school and tutoring them to see what she was considering paying. I could possibly go part time and use the after school job to make up the money difference and I would have a few hours break between jobs.