Dinner Slump?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by AZMrs.S, Jul 14, 2011.

1. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Jul 14, 2011

Do you ever feel like you get in a dinner slump? Where you have like 6-10 recipes or so that you rotate and you have a hard time coming up with something creative and different?

I thought it would be fun to share some of our favorite dinner recipes! That way we can all find some new and exciting things to mix into our dinner routines... Also, the easier the better as many of us are getting ready to head back to school!

I'll start:
    During the winter especially, I like to make cheese ravoli. I buy the premade ravoli from the store that you just boil like regular pasta. Then I make my own alfredo sauce to go on top:
    Heavy whipping Cream
    Grated parmesian cheese (the finely grated stuff- almost like a powder)

I heat up some butter in a skillet and then add as much cream as you need. I add in parmesian a little bit at a time stirring constantly with a whisk. The cheese melts in nicely and then I just season with salt, pepper, and sometimes oregano. It is yummy and good comfort food! :)

Anyone have any recipes they want to share?

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 14, 2011

This isn't a meal, but my recipe for a potsticker appetizer & I promise you, it'll hold it's own against the best restaurants' versions. To me, it tastes better than the restaurants! :)

a package (1- 1.25 pounds) of ground turkey (or beef)
    chopped shitake mushrooms
    chopped scallions
    1 chopped jalapeno (if you want a little zest)
    oyster flavored sauce
    a few splashes of soy sauce

Mix the above in a bowl & fill some wonton skins w/ the mixture. Cook them on the stove w/ olive oil, but add in some sesame oil, which will give it great flavor.

You can easily make egg rolls instead by adding in some bok choy & using egg roll wrappers instead.

I'm telling you, you'll love it!

4. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jul 14, 2011

Oh, I soooo need this thread. I am in dinner slumps often. Let me think of a recipe to add.....I will be back.

5. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jul 14, 2011

I've been in a slump for years. Besides 4 things that I know how to make well enough to be eaten I don't know what else to cook. :(

6. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jul 14, 2011

I keep making this same chicken dish because I love it:

Chicken breasts, pounded thin

dip chicken in milk, then seasoned bread crumbs, repeat.

Saute until brown, then put in 350 degree oven.

Chicken comes out really moist.

7. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Jul 14, 2011

Tonight we are having either gourmet salads (my definition of gourmet means we have lots of various toppings) or chicken wraps with whatever salad toppings you want plus sliced chicken.

I love kabobs in the summer, I will chop just about anything and stick it on the grill. Last night I marinaded cubes of steak in soy sauce and brown sugar and grilled it with potatoes and onions. We have roasted kale on the side.

Another summer favorite is chicken or tuna pasta salad.

8. amyt682

amyt682 Comrade

Jul 14, 2011

mexican cornbread

made this the other night for the first time... boxes of cornbread mix, a pound of hamburger meat, a package of shredded cheese, a can of rotel, a can of diced potatoes drained and a can of corn drained...takes forever to cook but tastes great

9. amyt682

amyt682 Comrade

Jul 14, 2011

salad alternative

chop up a head of cauliflower, some radishes and green onion pretty fine, mix in mayo and sprinkle in some salt

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2011

Caesar salad with grilled chicken or salmon

Tortilla wraps with grilled steak, Portobella mushrooms or chicken

Panini sandwiches

Omelettes

Pitas with falafel, or chicken

Stir fried rice...toss in leftover veg and meat

11. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Jul 14, 2011

I am totally the same way! That's why I am looking for new recipes! :)

Thanks for all of the ideas... Keep them coming!

12. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Jul 14, 2011

I grill a bunch of vegetables (zucchini, summer squash, onions, red peppers, asparagus, etc.) and then use it for different meals.

Meals:
    pasta with grilled vegetables (warm)
    pasta salad with grilled vegetables (cold)
    paninis with grilled vegetables

Other meals:
    pasta with pesto sauce or roasted pepper sauce
    tacos and homemade refried beans
    bread with pesto and tomatoes

Just a few things we cook up. We try to do a different recipe once a week.

13. iloveschool

iloveschool Companion

Jul 14, 2011

I stole this from another post!! Sounds great!!

Summertime Limeade Chicken

6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    1 can frozen limeade concentrate, thawed
    3 T brown sugar
    1/2 C sriracha

Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper, then brown on each side. Set aside. Mix limeade concentrate, brown sugar, and sriracha, then bring to a boil and cook for four minutes. Return the chicken to the pan and spoon the limeade mixture over it. Serve over rice.

14. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2011

I tend to happily eat the same few meals. Always been this way...I like routine. :) I'd share anyway but they're not even recipes.

15. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Jul 14, 2011

How about something really quick for summer?
    I like to get fish filets from Captain D's.
    I bring them home and put one in a small tortilla with some tomatillo salsa and lots of lemon and lime juice. Quick, semi-homemade fish taco.
    mmmmmm.

16. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2011

Try subscribing to a magazine like Real Simple, and pull out any recipes that sound good and put them in an envelope. Pull one out every week and try it. That's what we do, to try something new.

http://www.realsimple.com/food-reci...s/pot-sticker-salad-00000000000671/index.html

http://www.realsimple.com/food-reci...ean-tuna-panzanella-00000000000706/index.html

http://www.realsimple.com/food-reci...ad-potatoes-arugula-00000000000655/index.html

Here are three favorites. These are also excellent for making Sunday night and eating for lunch throughout the week.

17. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Jul 16, 2011

Good idea to pull a new recipe a week :)

18. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2011

Some of my go-tos are...

Quick hamburger gravy with mashed potatoes
    Saute garlic and onion, then add browned and drained ground beef/turkey. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add a can of cream of whatever soup and a splash or two of milk. Heat through. Serve over mashed potatoes.

Chili
    This can be made on the stove (in about 30 minutes) or in the crockpot. Combine ground beef/turkey, two cans of kidney beans (drained), two cans of pinto or black beans, two cans of diced tomatoes, one or two cans of tomato sauce, two cloves of garlic (minced), half or whole onion (diced), a diced jalapeno (optional), and either a chili seasoning packet or a tablespoon or two of roasted red pepper flakes, 2 teaspoons of seasoned salt, and 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper. Adjust the seasonings to suit your own preferences--you'll know it's right once it smells right. :) Serve over crushed saltine crackers and top with shredded cheddar, diced raw tomatoes, sour cream, and/or chopped green onion.

Bagel sandwiches
    Tuna on a toasted bagel. Cooked turkey bacon, tomatoes, half an avocado, and a tiny bit of Miracle Whip on a toasted bagel.

Grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup

Big salads
    Chopped lettuce with your favorite additives: halved grape tomatoes, croutons or seasoned tortilla strips, dried cranberries, almonds, julienned zucchini, cauliflower, broccoli, carrots. For more protein, add a julienned grilled chicken breast. Top with your favorite dressing (I prefer homemade ranch dressing).

Beef roast in the crockpot
    2-3 lb. beef roast (Remember that when you're doing meats, especially beef, in a crockpot, you want to get a lower-quality cut of beef with lots of fatty stuff. The fatty stuff melts and sort of gelatinizes during the cooking process and makes the meat really tender and pull-aparty.)
    Carrots, peeled and cut into finger-length pieces (cut lengthwise also if very thick)
    Red or gold potatoes, cut in half or wedges, peeled or unpeeled
    1 pkg of onion soup mix
    1 can of cream of mushroom soup
    2 C beef broth/stock
    2 T worchestershire sauce

Put salt and pepper and a little bit of flour on the beef roast and sear it in a little olive oil. Place the seared roast along with the veggies in the crockpot--veggies on the bottom. In a separate dish, combine onion soup mix, cream soup, beef broth, and worchestershire sauce. Pour this mixture over the beef roast.

19. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 16, 2011

Yum. I may try this. What sides do you eat with this?

20. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2011

I cook about 5 times a week, so of course I go through plenty of slumps. When I simply can't think of something, I will do breakfast for dinner. So yummy!

Anyway, one dish I love (which is simple) is baked enchilada casserole. You start by coating the baking pan with a fair amount of enchilada sauce, then add a layer of corn tortillas, and then you can really put anything in there you like. Here are some things I put: black beans, corn, cooked ground beef (on one half, since I don't eat beef but DH nd DD do), sliced and sauteed poblano peppers, other veggies if desired, and then cheese, then repeat with another layer of tortillas with sauce on it, and so forth until you have ran out of room.

There's a lot of variations on this dish, and you can put anything you want in it really. And, because you are baking and not frying, it is much healthier than regular enchiladas which are first dipped into cooking oil.

21. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2011

Oh, another one!

Do chicken salad (you know, shredded chicken and veggies in mayo sauce) placed over tostadas. It's yummy.

Also: You can try different sauces from the Mexican aisle like mole or pipian (although I haven't many low fat versions in the states like we have here) to cook with chicken. To do so, I get about 6 pieces of chicken (usually legs, 2 for each person), and boil it. Then, once it's cooked, I bring it to the pan and cook it in the sauce (long enough to warm the sauce). It's a really easy dish, and quite tasty. I typically make it with a side of dry fideo (not the more soup like fideo), but it would be good with any Mexican rice, and beans, and salad.