Differentiation

Discussion in 'General Education' started by otterpop, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Backroads

Backroads Fanatic

Feb 13, 2018

What do parents think differentiate means?

2. Backroads

Backroads Fanatic

Feb 13, 2018

I would like to learn more about small groups in math. I am.flummoxed at the idea of teaching the same skill to learners who don't yet have prior math skills.

3. rpan

rpan Cohort

Feb 14, 2018

I speak to my ex students who have now gone on the the high school on a pretty regular basis (every couple of weeks, different students pop by each time); I tutor the high school students, I speak to the teachers on specific students and also in general at PD events. I haven’t spoken with every high school student or every teacher there or tutored every student but I think I have enough insight from enough parties that audio, kinaesthetic, visual etc. type learners are not catered to on a regular basis.

Im sure some high school teachers do cater to the different type of learners, just not that I have seen.

Again, I’m not bashing all high school teachers; I’m not even saying if how I teach and how they teach is right or wrong, I’m just sharing what I have seen.

4. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Habitué

Feb 14, 2018

I don't disagree, but then I would have one of my 8th graders in a 3rd grade class for English. How would we avoid situations like these?

5. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Feb 14, 2018

It’s definitely not easy, but we’re locked in to our math curriculum with little to no flexibility. I do what I can to make the content accessible during math time and use RTI time to go back and fill as many gaps as I can.

Backroads likes this.
  6. Backroads

Backroads Fanatic

Feb 14, 2018

I don't know if having a student sing a song about what he knows or create a diorama or what have you is really going to different learning styles. They're not learning a new idea or a new way. It's still student-to-teacher.

2ndTimeAround likes this.
  7. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Feb 14, 2018

While I want to become much "looser" in terms of my structure in the future (more inquiry, problem-solving based, with less direct instruction), I think it's still possible to incorporate differentiation within the limited curriculum. For example, while students are learning the standard multiplication algorithm, some kids might be doing it with easier digits, some using "average" problems, and then others you might be giving the tidbit as you teach about the reasoning behind the 0s/placeholders -- that we just don't put them there, but that they have a reason (deeper conceptual understanding).

8. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Feb 14, 2018

I agree. We use Eureka math, and while I understand the method behind their pacing, it assumes students are ready to move on to the next lesson each day. The increments are small, and I didn’t find it too difficult the last two years when I had an “average” class. By average, I mean I had the usual spread of kids from high to resource. This year, I am co-teaching, and have a much larger percentage of special education students and low-achieving students administration thought would benefit from having two-teachers in the room. We have two groups who need much more time to learn the material than we have time to allow. I would love to be able to truly teach each group where they are, even if that means groups are at different places in the curriculum.

Backroads likes this.
  9. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Feb 14, 2018

The true ideal is that everyone could follow along the same underlying curriculum, but that all the work students are doing is low-entry, high-ceiling kind of work. Unfortunately, that requires a ton of work on the teacher's part, and most curriculum is much more singular in its track.

Backroads and otterpop like this.