Differentiation Question

Discussion in 'General Education' started by FourSquare, Dec 1, 2018.

1. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Dec 1, 2018

I teach 6th grade ELA. All student learners are mixed together, from K reading levels to high school reading levels. I've got students with hefty IEPs sitting with neurotypical children and a couple truly academically gifted kids. This is a grand experiment on the part of my school.

I'm not writing to debate inclusion, but rather to inquire about the 2 gifted children. They are more than capable of high school reading. It's hard for me to think of what to give them that fits the maturity of 6th grade and doesn't interrupt the curriculum of their high school teachers. One of these children literally asked me for "Grapes of Wrath" the other day. :eek: I've got some time to assign additional reading/projects as they have blown through our class text, "The Giver."

Aside from titles, I'm also searching for different class structures that will still help them grow. I've not forced them to sit through every lesson in our curriculum. They've been reading, annotating, and writing essays independently on given prompts. I'm thinking this will get old, though. What other sorts of things can I give them to do without killing myself making an entirely separate curriculum?

3. Teacher234

Teacher234 Comrade

Dec 1, 2018

I would recommend having you try newsela. You can have the students explore different articles during the class and then complete article/reading quizzes. This would allow the students to make their own decisions about what to read. Good luck.
    As far as grading goes, I would suggest that you consider changing the class gradebook into groups. Group 1: 6th grade Level Group 2: Advanced Group 3: Self-paced

I would also suggest having your advanced students work in book circles.

4. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Dec 1, 2018

We're all working in book circles.

I'm not a huge fan of drill and kill computer stuff. I want them to be doing something authentic.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 2, 2018

futuremathsprof likes this.
  6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 2, 2018

futuremathsprof likes this.
  7. a2z

a2z Maven

Dec 2, 2018

In addition to reading, they may be interested in a more in-depth dive into language structure and word morphology. It will require that you get some additional resources. If you make it interesting and like a puzzle, they may get into really investigating what can be done with language. Then you can use some quality excerpts from more advanced texts to show more complex language structure. They can look for ways to take one complex writing and re-write it to say the same thing using a different style.

8. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Dec 2, 2018

How about giving them a choice board to complete as they read the assigned book? Might slow them down and really get them into the text. And give them something to work on while you're busy with other students.