Did You Take a Smartboard Class?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by CFClassroom, May 3, 2012.

1. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

May 3, 2012

or just learn by doing?

I'm excited about the fact that I'll have a Smartboard next year. I've used the one in the computer lab as a "glorified" projector, but am so excited to really make good use of this tool.

Just wondering if I should look for some real training or if it is better to learn by playing. What did you do?

3. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 3, 2012

I just learned as I went, but I wish I could have taken a class. There would have been a lot less trial and error on my part.

4. MathEqualsLove

MathEqualsLove Companion

May 3, 2012

The school I student taught at offered a 30-minute or so training session that I attended. And, I learned a few tricks from that. But, I think I learned the most from just playing around with the software.

There are several videos on youtube that cover some of the tricks that can be used with your smartboard. For example, if you need to erase a large area, you can use the eraser to make a circle around what you want to erase. Then, if you tap the middle of the circle, the entire circle area will be erased.

5. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

May 3, 2012

Mostly learned as I went, but went to a great workshop last year that was designed for those who had already mastered the basics. I'll look for info on it later...

6. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 3, 2012

These guys have a great website on smartboards. They upload a new video weekly or so. Plus, they start out each video with the corniest jokes that just make me laugh!

7. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

May 3, 2012

I mostly learned by doing and watching others. You should try to play around with the one you have access to now during your preps.

8. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

May 3, 2012

I learned by going to this site and going through a lot of their lessons-- http://exchange.smarttech.com/search.html

Whatever I couldn't teach myself on how to make, I would just download a lesson from that site which has a feature I like and then I just edit it to make it my own.

9. round stanley

round stanley Companion

May 3, 2012

10. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

May 3, 2012

I took a SMARTBOARD class and it helped a lot. I liked it so much I took the advanced class the next year--that one wasn't as good--too much review from the first class. If the class is reasonably priced, I would definitely jump on the class to take it.

11. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

May 3, 2012

I took an on-line class and learned so much. It really took me past just the basics that I had been doing on my own.

I also download from SMART Exchange and take apart the lessons when I find something that I like. I've found that doing that really gives me new ideas. Seeing how others are doing things has really helped me learn the software.

12. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

May 3, 2012

There was an e-learning online workshop (30 hrs and I forgot how many weeks it went on) that a co-worker took. I'll see if I can get the scoop on it.

13. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 3, 2012

Both. I learn by doing, but taking the 10 week class (1 hour each week that was offered by a trainer in our district) helped me trouble shoot. Also watching the tutorials in the Notebook software has also helped me figure out how to do things.

14. a_apple_z_zebra

a_apple_z_zebra Rookie

May 5, 2012

I learned by doing, but I learn by doing with computers in general. Computer-related training and classes just don't work out for me...

15. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

May 5, 2012

Go to youtube and search for Smartboard Tutorials ... don't pay for a class.

16. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 5, 2012

I agree. Don't pay for a class unless you want to be a certified trainer. If you can find free classes (like I did), and you have the time, you could try it out. There is so much free stuff out there that you don't need to pay for anything.

17. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

May 5, 2012

Learned by doing, and also was able to take a two day smart board class over the summer, paid by school. I knew most of what they taught me already, but it was nice to add a few more ideas to my belt. There are also many sites with free smart board lessons that can be downloaded and customized.