Did you observe your grade level team leader when you were new to your school?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Mr. Nobody, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Mr. Nobody

Mr. Nobody Rookie

Jul 24, 2015

I have worked at three schools, and only one has had this requirement. Since I was team leader last year, I felt a little nervous having several people observing and shadowing me all day, but I understand why my school requires it.

I suppose in rare cases where the entire team is new to the school or the most seasoned person on the team has received poor marks on their observations, the new teachers observe a different grade level team leader.

3. 4815162342

4815162342 Companion

Jul 24, 2015

Not required by the school, but she would let me see her do a lesson or testing if i was unsure how to do it myself.

4. MLB711

MLB711 Comrade

Jul 24, 2015

Observing other teachers is part of my induction program.

5. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 24, 2015

We do not have grade level team leaders.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2015

Neither do we. We do have 4 teachers on staff who have responsibility for some of the administrative tasks for different grade divisions (K-3, 4-6, 7-8), but their role does not extend to being a model for other teachers.

7. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 24, 2015

We have grade-level representatives (the grade-level reps are the voice of their teammates during quarterly leadership team meetings).

Being the grade-level rep doesn't mean that this particular person is a stronger teacher in any way, shape, or form. It simply means they're bringing their teammates questions/comments/concerns to the table and relaying the answers to those questions/comments/concerns back to their peers.

8. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jul 24, 2015

No, and now that you mention it I think it's a brilliant idea. I entered my current school at a very odd time after the previous teacher was let go, so I mainly spent a couple of days observing my own classroom with the substitute.

In my case, my team leader was later assigned as my mentor and I did observe many a time, but I think it's a good idea as a new teacher.

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 24, 2015

I am a mentor teacher, so I often have an intern who will observe me. I also observe in the intern's classroom.

10. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 24, 2015

Not as a new teacher. I did intern under her though.

11. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jul 25, 2015

Not required.

12. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Jul 25, 2015

I don't think this is necessarily a bad idea - although it is not done in my school. Observing someone else teach can open up a world of different ideas and different approaches. As a middle school teacher, while it might help me to observe the team leader, I think it would also be beneficial to observe someone else who taught similar subject matter.

13. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Companion

Jul 25, 2015

I was strongly advised by my principal to observe a seasoned teacher. I'm glad I followed that advice. It really helped me understand what was expected of me.

14. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 25, 2015

My mentee observed me and I observed her, but our team leaders are chosen by the team so there it's not necessarily teaching skills that get you the position. They usually are good teachers, but it's not a requirement.

15. applecore

applecore Devotee

Jul 26, 2015

I did the same.

I observed my team leaders when I accepted my position.

We have to rotate team leader and mentorships in our school--last year was my year to be the team leader and a mentor at the same time. It was a challenge, but it helped me become a better teacher---and I found a few things about myself: I tend to get nervous when I'm stretched! But I wouldn't have traded the experience for anything!

16. Mr. Nobody

Mr. Nobody Rookie

Jul 30, 2015

Thank you all for sharing. It can be nerve wracking to have other teachers observing you, but we are able to learn so much from one another. When I move on to another school, I will be curious to see if this is a requirement.