Did you get enough support when you first started teaching?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by waits5, Jul 12, 2018 at 4:33 PM.

1. waits5

waits5 Rookie

Jul 12, 2018 at 4:33 PM

Hi everyone:

This is my first post. I teach third grade in CA.

My question is:
    Were you happy with the district support you were given as a new teacher? Am thinking about how we can best support our new teachers coming into the profession. I know when I first started that I didn't get much support. Fellow colleagues were helpful but I just wish I had more help in the beginning as I look back. Thanks.

3. bella84

bella84 Fanatic

Jul 12, 2018 at 4:43 PM

No, I did not. I worked at a brand new charter school. It barely opened on time, and the many materials arrived after the start of the year. Ensuring that new teachers were supported was low on the administrators’ priority list. The state requires mentors for new teachers, but I didn’t get a mentor until I changed districts in the middle of the following year.

My case might be unique, but I would still say that new teachers don’t get enough support. I’m a fan of the idea of programs that require teachers to student teach as “residents” over the course of a full school year and then offer intensive support the first year that they are on their own. Notice I said the idea of such a program. I once worked in a school with such a program, and I didn’t find it to be very effective. If refined, though, I think it’s worth considering.

waits5 likes this.
  4. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2018 at 5:09 PM

Definitely depends on the district/school.

Our district has a new teacher support program where they have a mentor for the new teacher (that also has others they mentor, but that is their key job) for their first two years. During the first year, they also go through a full practice observation cycle, so you're used to that, and really the experience is crafted to match what you need.

However, I've also found that finding a colleague within the school that I connect with best has been just as helpful as that, and is ongoing so long as we're both there!

waits5 likes this.
  5. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Jul 12, 2018 at 6:25 PM

I started teaching during the "Professional Development to death" era. We had so many "helpful" people from the district come to our school to "help" the new teachers with so much that took countless hours. I wish the district would have spent more time listening and then coming up with a helpful plan. During the first quarter, teachers need you to be all ears and be there for them. Second quarter teachers are more likely to listen to more direct suggestions that are done in a time efficient manner.

My biggest suggestion to districts is please "show me, don't tell me." If a district trainer gets up there with 100 PowerPoint slides to tell us to get students engaged and not lecture-this won't help no matter if the PowerPoints are in vibrant colors. Please model for us or show us great teachers in action in videos and the like. Some of the best techniques I use today are from what I learned watching good teachers live in action or recorded in a video.

Leaborb192 and waits5 like this.
  6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Jul 12, 2018 at 8:34 PM

I had an assigned mentor teacher, so she provided the things to meet those requirements. Otherwise, not so much. I actually had more useful help from one of the teachers who shared a room with me.

The internship program has changed a lot since then. It's not funded for the upcoming year, but we are going to make sure that all new teachers (and new to our building) get someone to be a touchstone for them anyway.

waits5 likes this.
  7. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2018 at 8:48 PM

I've never actually met a new teacher who felt like they received adequate help. Too many variables. Mentors are frequently not matched well, leaving the new teachers supported in name only. Not sure of how to fix the problem. I had to take part in a two year new teacher program that ate into what available time I did have, creating a sense of dread instead of gratitude. Just my experience.

waits5 likes this.
  8. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Jul 12, 2018 at 9:17 PM

I think things have improved greatly. When I started teaching, they handed you the keys, you stepped into your classroom, closed the door behind you, and figured out how to teach.

waits5 likes this.
  9. MAteacher

MAteacher Rookie

Jul 12, 2018 at 10:04 PM

I don't feel like I got enough support, at all. I worked in a very challenging district during our turnaround plan, which meant that the expectations where insane, but basically no on had a clue what they were doing. The first year I taught (I've taught for 2 years) they had basically fired a majority of the staff. This left my 2nd grade team as all brand new teachers, which was sooooooo hard because we had NO ONE to help us out on our team.

We were all assigned the same mentor who was working at a different school. She was very nice and tried really hard, but the expectations at her school verses ours was so very different. Everything she suggested (and they were decent suggestions) always seemed to be something that we couldn't do at our school or wouldn't fit with our students.

We had professional developed alllllll the time. We had to come in on Saturdays, two weeks before school started, after school. But, all of it seemed like things that were put together last minute or only appealed to a small portion of the school. It was really frustrating to show up at 7 am on a Saturday and find that the presentation was clearly done the day before and they hadn't really done much. Some of the PD was great, but there was little follow up than: you've learned about this once and we will be looking for this Monday. For example, we had a guided reading PD on Saturday and that Monday we were expected to start it with our kids. This was before the school had books or any supplies at all.

We were observed a lot, which I did find helpful, but that only goes so far.

So sorry for the long post, but I think teacher support the first year is so important. My whole team thought about leaving teaching completely our first year.

waits5 likes this.
  10. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 12, 2018 at 11:18 PM

Yes and no. To be fair, my school attempted to offer a lot of support. The problem was that I was the only special ed teacher in the building, so no one was there to support me with the sped-specific stuff, which is what I really needed. The school assigned me a gen ed teacher as my mentor. She was very nice and helped me learn some of the ropes of that specific school, but she knew nothing about sped. When I started working at my current school, I was also the only sped teacher and they assigned me a mentor who was a sped teacher at another school in the district. Obviously not ideal either, but I preferred that.

My first school offered tons of PD and we were observed and given informal feedback constantly. The "community" feel among the staff was mostly nice. I felt that my undergrad program did an excellent job of preparing me to actually be a teacher and that helped tremendously. People told me non-stop my first year that they couldn't believe I was a first year teacher or made comments like, "Wow, I never actually learned how to do this stuff in college!"

They had us in schools actually teaching from first semester of freshman year, and my student teaching was a year long experience where I was 100% in charge for over half the year. The STs I've seen in the schools here are 100% in charge for 2 weeks, if that! I did work with a "resident" like Bella was saying that was with me for the full year, but she had no background in education prior to entering the program, so IMO still not a great program.

I will say that being kind of "thrown in" at my first school worked out in my favor, IMO. I learned to be more independent and figure things out on my own. After my first year at my current school, we got an additional FTE for another sped teacher and I've had 3 new teammates over the years. All 3 have been experienced teachers, but just new to my building/district. It's been kind of astounding to me how much hand-holding they've needed. Being the only one in the building, that was just never an option for me when I was new.

I know my experience isn't typical, but honestly my first year was the easiest year I've ever had. My ST/college program was so rigorous that my first "real" year was actually significantly less work. I was working in a very small school with a large population of new immigrants, and most of my students were really well behaved. Certain things about the way the school was set up made my job easier (for one- I had nothing to do with deciding when kids get tested and didn't have to do any of the testing, so there was no "us vs. them" that I've experienced everywhere else between sped and gen ed). The school didn't have the obsession with data that my other schools have had. Part of it was also that I was simply naive to all of the things I should/could have been doing better.

waits5 likes this.
  11. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2018 at 11:25 PM

Absolutely. At my private school, all new teachers are enrolled in a mentor program that meets after school once a week and receive TONS of help from the department chairs. They even have other teachers and admin drop in throughout the first two years who ask if you need anything or help with lesson planning, etc. By year 3, you are expected to do most things on your own, but the help is there if you really need it.

I’m surprised that more schools don’t do this. Our mentor program is vastly more useful than BTSA (shudders)...

waits5 likes this.
  12. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Jul 13, 2018 at 2:22 AM

I thought the school I worked at supported me as a new teacher. There a lot of PD. However, more beneficial was a great group of new teachers that created a feeling of camaraderie and a wonderful group of veteran teachers that offered me more support than could be reasonably expected.

The district I worked for had a new teacher program. There were positives, but I thought that it could have been better. Some of it was the problems faced at my school were not the same problems faced elsewhere in the district. I have no doubt that this made it hard for the district to have common training with new teachers from all over the district.

waits5 likes this.
  13. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jul 13, 2018 at 8:36 AM

I had the same experience. My first year, I had to attend a lot of required training, but it didn't do a lot of good. Mostly it was just really stressful and another thing I needed to add to my busy schedule. Additionally, all new teachers were paired with a mentor, but we are all too busy to make that work.

My best suggestion would be that schools pair new teachers with mentors and then somehow ensure they actually meet regularly, but informally. Maybe there's coffee in the library after school twice a month where new teachers can sit and chat with their mentors. A talking points sheet would be a good starter but there should also be flexibility to go off topic (but still teaching related). Finally, no admin should be present, at least not hovering and listening all the time. Just having someone to talk things through with would be helpful for many new teachers I think.

waits5 likes this.
  14. waits5

waits5 Rookie

Jul 13, 2018 at 8:59 AM

Yes, I looked at research (which is hard to find) and even in 2018, not all states require a new teacher support program. I really don't think your case is that unique. I'm glad you pushed forward and stayed in the profession. Sometimes changing districts is the best move of all.

15. waits5

waits5 Rookie

Jul 13, 2018 at 9:02 AM

Yes, I totally agree about the live and video being much better. I would add that I would like to see some teaching videos where the children aren't perfect angels, lol.

16. waits5

waits5 Rookie

Jul 13, 2018 at 9:03 AM

I'm glad to hear that you are reaching out to the new teachers. They really need it.

17. waits5

waits5 Rookie

Jul 13, 2018 at 9:04 AM

What improvements have you noticed? I agree, I think things have gotten better in the last few years. But still not every state requires a new teacher support program yet.

18. waits5

waits5 Rookie

Jul 13, 2018 at 9:05 AM

I'm glad to hear that you stuck it out! And yes, being observed constantly isn't the most useful. Mentors need to be trained to give effective feedback and not overwhelm the new teacher with a ton of suggestions all at once.

19. waits5

waits5 Rookie

Jul 13, 2018 at 9:08 AM

Interesting point about how there can often be huge differences among schools within the same district and how new teacher programs must deal with this fact.

20. bella84

bella84 Fanatic

Jul 13, 2018 at 9:18 AM

I only meant that my situation was unique for my area. My state does require that districts provide an official mentor and mentor program for new teachers during their first two years of teaching. They also require that districts send teachers to Beginning Teacher Assistance Programs (basically a Saturday PD session about classroom management) during those two years. Without having participated in official mentoring and without having attended the BTAP, teachers are not eligible for upgrading our certification after the initial certification expires (after four years of teaching). My first school - a charter school - didn't do any of that. I was fortunate to find out about and attend a BTAP on my own, without guidance from my school. Then, I was fortunate to get hired at a much better school district who helped me to make up with the lost time with a mentor. At the new district, we were required to write PD goals for ourselves each year. I had to write two per year to make up for the lost years at the charter school. We also attended district-wide PD sessions, had a district-wide mentor, and had an in-building mentor. I guess that I found all of that to be helpful, but I think that it would have been more helpful had I been able to experience that when I was in my first year of teaching as opposed to my third.

After I had upgraded my teacher certification and was no longer considered a "new" teacher, I received a "buddy" teacher when I changed schools. It was sort of like a mentor, but it was an official relationship that was only expected to last one year, instead of two. It was voluntary on the part of the school district, not required by the state. It was like scaffolded support, intended to help me learn about policies and procedures specific to my school while understanding that I already knew how to be a teacher. This was the most beneficial of all because it gave me someone to go to with questions, but it also allowed me to be independent with what I already knew. In addition, I received "coaching" from our literacy coach and math coach, just to help me understand my district's philosophy on instruction, but they quickly took themselves out of my classroom once they saw that I knew what I was doing. I received more support in my seventh year teaching than I did in all of the years before it combined. Sad, but true.

21. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Jul 13, 2018 at 9:30 AM

Today in my district all new teachers are assigned a mentor. They also attend professional development days that are specifically geared toward new teachers and that allow them to interact with other new teachers throughout the region. I think that they find at least some of those things to be helpful. To me, having a sounding board was probably what would have helped the most. I do still feel that there are certain things about teaching that are best learned by doing.

waits5 likes this.