Did not pass CSET MS 3

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by jennk2212, Feb 10, 2017.

1. jennk2212

jennk2212 Rookie

Feb 10, 2017

I recently gotten my score and I did horribly on the P.E. section. I have been using Cliff Notes, they have been extremely helpful for CSET 1&2. I found it pretty easy. However I got 218 which totally gutted me.

Does anyone have any advice in how to pass for the P.E. section? Any help would be appreciated.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 10, 2017

Hugs, jennk2212. Let me note that one passes or doesn't pass Subtest III as a whole: it doesn't matter how well one does in a specific section or on a specific question type provided one collects enough raw points to amass 220 or more scaled points.

4. jennk2212

jennk2212 Rookie

Mar 5, 2017

Thanks!!! I just have to keep getting better at it.

5. ao_

ao_ Rookie

Jul 28, 2017

Hello,
    I just received my scores for this test as well, CSET MS III, and did not pass I received a score of 209. I used the Cliffnotes book, as well as the Barons but that book I don't like its very general and I would say it didn't help me. I do believe the Cliffnotes book was helpful. I also used Youtube to gain further knowledge on topics I thought I needed more understanding of. I also, took subtest II this week and I'm sure I failed that one as well. The science part I felt very few of what I had studied on the Cliffnotes book was covered on it. I also watched videos for this subtest and made took notes from the book. I'm taking subtest I next Sunday and now I'm sttressing out because clearly my current study routine and resources aren't cutting it! Any suggestion on other resources that you guys would recommend? Those that have passed what was your study routine like? what resources did you use and think actually helped?

Here is my score report on subtest 3, suggestions?
    Physical Education ++ Constructed Response (Checkmark)
    Human Development ++ Constructed Response (Checkmark)
    Visual and Performing Arts ++ Constructed Response (k,s)
    Overall Multiple-Choice Section: ++ III(103)

Overall Constructed-Response Section: +++

6. Deeneebee

Deeneebee Rookie

Jul 29, 2017

I did not pass subtest 3 either :( With almost the same scores
    But, I did decent on the PE section and I studied for that by basically studying the vocabulary. If you google "subtest 3 flash cards", a website called Quizlet pops up, and that really helped. I was so stressed over the History and Science sections, that I assumed subtest 3 would be much easier. I even thought I failed the other 2, but for sure passed that one. It was the other way around!
    Cliff notes and the crash course videos on YouTube really helped with the History! I also began a lot of random conversations with my family and friends on history topics, just so the material would sink in more. For science, cliff notes was a good guideline, but I added more notes from crash course videos and old bill nye episodes. The cliff note tests really helped all around! I took notes on all the questions - the CD gives good explanations. Also, the practice tests on the CTC website and on teachers test prep. I showed up to the test about 40 mins early with notes and crammed in the car, too! I plan to study the same way for human development and art. Good luck next Sunday!

ao_ likes this.
  7. ao_

ao_ Rookie

Jul 29, 2017

Thank you! Its so stressful! and after not passing it discourages me with the rest but I'm trying to stay motivated and positive!

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 29, 2017

209 is fairly close to passing. You have +++ overall in constructed response, with checkmarks in PE and human development and k,s in visual and performing arts; you have ++ in each domain in multiple choice.

I surmise that you're not fond of multiple-choice tests. Do you find that you choose an answer but then feel that you should change it, or do you just get swamped by the answer choices?

As for the constructed response in visual and performing arts, the fact that you weren't given a p means that your answer was definitely on the right track, but the k indicates that you weren't sounding knowledgeable (that is, you weren't using the technical terminology of the art in question) and that you didn't support your answer (that is, you didn't justify it using principles of the field and evidence from whatever it was you were given to analyze - this being Subtest III, there was probably either a musical score or some sort of work of visual art).

9. Elena3

Elena3 Rookie

Jul 29, 2017

I used the Barron's book to prepare for the CSET MS. I took the Subtests on separate days and passed all 3. The review sections in the test prep books by themselves are not enough to really understand the material. I used them more to know what topics would be on the test then watched many many Khan Academy and other YouTube videos on those same topics. I also read articles and used Wikipedia. I recommend taking as many practice tests as you can, going back to review your answers and then researching topics covered by the questions you got wrong. I took 4 practice tests for each Subtest. Also, the PE section is tricky! I got more answers wrong in that section than in the art and human development. Good luck and stay confident!

ao_ likes this.
  10. ao_

ao_ Rookie

Jul 29, 2017

"Do you find that you choose an answer but then feel that you should change it, or do you just get swamped by the answer choices? " I feel like I do both! but mainly second guess myself and over analyze the answer choices to the point where at one point or another they all seem either correct or incorrect. :(

& yes the constructed response was based on analyzing a work of art! I definitely need to do more studying on the visual and performing arts.

Thank you for your response!

11. Deeneebee

Deeneebee Rookie

Jul 29, 2017

Definitely stay positive! You will get through these tests!

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 30, 2017

For the second-guessing, try this rule: Change the answer only if you can point to what you did wrong to get the original answer. For multiple choice more generally, and for analysis in general, you might also benefit from working through LearningExpress's book Reasoning Skills Success in 20 Minutes a Day. (Bear in mind that, while the vocabulary for what one notices varies from one discipline of the arts or literature to another, the mental tools of noticing and reasoning are pretty much the same across disciplines.)

This page from the Getty Museum might be useful: http://www.getty.edu/education/teachers/building_lessons/formal_analysis.html.

Deeneebee likes this.