Did I apply too late?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ST13, Jul 24, 2015.

1. ST13

ST13 Companion

Jul 24, 2015

So some of you may know my story since I've told it so many times. Basically I've had no luck finding a job. I've had a few interviews here and there but nothing serious.

Anyway, I've been going back and forth about moving south to find a job to gain some experience and hopefully make me more marketable. Last year I was really big on the idea. A few months ago though I decided I would once again (naively) try to find something up here first.

Well last weekend I came to my senses and decided to start applying to districts in the south. I applied to schools in FL, NC and VA. What I didn't realize though is that schools start earlier in the south than in NY. Here we don't start school until after Labor Day! So I was kind in the mindset that I had over a month.

So my question is, did I apply too late? I mean, I'm really hoping to get hired but I'm worried that I applied too late and won't have time to actually move.

Has anyone ever been in my shoes? How late did you apply vs getting hired and situated?

3. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jul 24, 2015

4. ludoak

ludoak Rookie

Jul 24, 2015

The county I work for in Florida (St. Lucie) is holding a job fair today even though we start back in two weeks. It would definitely not be too late to get a job. They still have about 150 instructional positions to fill.

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 24, 2015

Many parts of Florida hire year round. No, you have not applied too late.

6. kaitydid

kaitydid Rookie

Jul 24, 2015

I don't think you applied too late. My district is still looking for a few teachers (I even talked to one teacher whose ELA team has been interviewing for a 6th grade teacher all this week!), and school starts August 11.

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 24, 2015

Charlotte-Mecklenburg is most likely going to start the year with dozens (if not hundreds) of subs. You are a month away from the first day there, so you definitely have enough time. When I moved to NC, I didn't interview until mid-July.

8. lilia123

lilia123 Companion

Jul 24, 2015

In NC you can never apply too late. Most districts hire year round.

9. ~HistoryNut~

~HistoryNut~ Rookie

Jul 24, 2015

Schools here start after Labor Day, and many local districts are still posting individual jobs...many of them have dozens listed with more appearing every day. There is still hope, in my area at least. :)

10. ST13

ST13 Companion

Jul 24, 2015

wow! thats so great! I feel better now I was really worried I lost my chance.

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2015

I interviewed for my first contract position at the end of the first week of school and started the Monday after I interviewed. I've been at schools where new teachers were hired well into the school year. It's never too late to apply.

12. frogger

frogger Devotee

Jul 25, 2015

You have time, keep applying. Districts will hire even after school has begun or teachers have to report back.

13. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Jul 25, 2015

I'm not in any of those states, but just this week I got a call for an interview at a school/district I didn't even apply to (another district sent them my resume) and they start school in August, so I think you will be fine / it's not too late!!! Many schools are still interviewing. And a lot will hire year-round.

14. ST13

ST13 Companion

Jul 25, 2015

Thanks so much! Keeping my fingers crossed!

15. Lumi

Lumi Companion

Jul 27, 2015

Honestly, if you are in the position where you are able to move to get any experience you should do it. Having to move is better than not getting any experience because the area you are in is saturated. Lots of teachers who are married and have kids don't have the ability to relocate, but if you do, you should seriously consider it, just for the sake of having the experience and avoiding a gap on your resume.

16. ST13

ST13 Companion

Jul 27, 2015

Yeah I'm definitely taking advantage of the flexibility. I'm ready to move whenever I get a chance.

My worry is I've applied out of state and still haven't heard anything back from any of the districts which is worrying me because I feel like if I can't get in to a district that has that many openings this close to the school year I'm not really sure what else to do. I guess it's more of a confidence and self esteem factor than anything else.

17. MrTeach11

MrTeach11 Rookie

Jul 27, 2015

Do you have a license or have you applied for a license in these states yet?

It is definitely not to late.

18. ST13

ST13 Companion

Jul 27, 2015

No. I haven't. I know that's probably hurting me but I just can't bare to give any more of my money until I am at least CLOSE to getting hired. I've just spent so much money to NYS on tests, mandatory workshops and applications!

19. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Jul 27, 2015

Well I heard that the Las Vegas area is in dire need for teachers if you're willing to move there!

20. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2015

Not having a license will probably be fine in NC. I didn't have one when I got a job there. And Wake County and Mecklenburg County have too many openings for that to be an issue.

21. ST13

ST13 Companion

Jul 27, 2015

I was hoping that wouldn't be an issue due to all the openings I've seen! My friend got a job in NC two years ago without an interview OR a licence.