Did admin do enough?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MikeTeachesMath, Nov 4, 2014.

1. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 5, 2014

If a stranger were to do this to another stranger, it would be simple assault. If contact were to have been made, it would have added battery to the list. Why are you berating Mike because he asks for the same protection he would have on the street?

2. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Nov 5, 2014

My intentions were not to berate, but I still stand by my statement that this was not something that deserved a long-term suspension.

Personally, I don't see how this is simple assault in a classroom setting. But, maybe I'm at the point where I no longer get worked up over things like the OP described.

3. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Nov 5, 2014

I would require a suspension (at least for my one period) just for calling me gimpy. That's not even including the attempted assault. I don't care if its an immature kid. But I'm sadistic, so, eh. I refuse to tolerate that kind of behavior.

4. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Nov 5, 2014

My principal would be livid with the kid. I personally think one week is enough.

5. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Nov 5, 2014

Well this is frustrating. I never said or implied expulsion. I'm not sure where people are getting that from. I even have a post earlier in the thread quite literally stating I do NOT (read: NOT) mean expulsion, or a longer suspension sentence, or anything like that. I meant something like dgpiaffe said on page 1 about getting meetings with guidance involved.

I'm happy with a week's suspension. I'm not trying to change that.

If this kid had made contact with my crutch it would have caused very serious re-injury. My physical therapy progress up until this point would have been down the drain, I could have re-torn things in my knee, and could have hampered the overall healing process. So yes, I'm taking this very seriously. I'm shocked some of you think he should have just gotten a slap on the wrist.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 5, 2014

I have found that discipline and counseling are often completely separate entities at my school, and one never knows what the other is doing. Counseling is not a standard part of our discipline process, so it wouldn't happen unless explicitly requested.

I would recommend that you go ahead and speak to the counselor directly and ask him or her to meet with this student regarding this issue.

7. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 5, 2014

So what if we changed it up a little...let's say instead of a teacher, it was another student. A disabled student, that this kid called a name and attempted to kick a crutch. Do you still chalk that up to immaturity? And by you I don't necessarily mean you, but more the people who make decisions at your school.

Also, in response to this thread in general - just because some school's cultures are such that simple assaults, threats, and verbal assaults are the norm, doesn't make it right, or mean that all teachers should just have to deal with it. Personally, I think it's wrong to respond to someone asking a question with "well, I have to deal with it, so should you", or even worse "I've had much worse happen to me, so you should be grateful the student didn't knock you over". Why? Why should everyone have to accept criminal behavior by middle school students just because others choose to? And to be grateful the student missed his crutch? Come on. :dizzy:

8. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Nov 5, 2014

I think it was criminal behavior and I aint buying it is immaturity by a 7th grader. The kid has serious problems. His actions prove that. I wonder what his parents think of his actions. I think 5 days was good and anything else like that warrants more. Maybe an alternative school.

9. Rox

Rox Cohort

Nov 5, 2014

People often think assault happens when someone hits or hurts you. Assault is the act of creating apprehension of an imminent harmful or offensive contact with a person (from wiki, I'm too lazy to find a better source, but I know the legal definition is similar). You can be assaulted when no contact has been made. If contact was made, it becomes battery.

10. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Nov 5, 2014

This.

11. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Nov 5, 2014

I'm on your side and I think what the kid did was very serious. However...

When I taught middle school I had the following done to me by students:

- a kid who repeatedly made sudden movements towards me as though he was going to hit me with the intent of seeing me flinch

- a kid who emptied a pencil sharpener and threw the shavings in another kid's face

- a kid graphically and publicly insinuate that I was having a sexual relationship with another student when I complimented that student's work

- a kid tell me my address to my face as a threat

- a kid throw pebbles at my classroom window when he saw me sitting on the other side of it

Most of these things were commited by the same student. None of them resulted in a suspension. Only one - the pebbles incident - resulted in a 2 day after school detention.

As I said, I'm on your side and I think it stinks, but a week long suspension only surprises me because your admin took any action at all. :(

12. NewTeacherNJ

NewTeacherNJ Rookie

Nov 5, 2014

You guys should probably proofread :)

At no point did the original poster demand expulsion. They stated that while a week long suspension was adequate in the punishment realm that they wondered if something more should be done to re mediate the problem. That was all they were asking for here.

Thats all. Go Blue - I'm going to be honest here too but there is no way i'd be willing to work in an environment where someone threatening my physical well being or that of a child was a "no big deal" situation either.

I don't get paid enough for that.