DIBELS Next

Discussion in 'General Education' started by YoungTeacherGuy, Sep 10, 2018.

1. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Sep 10, 2018

I’m sure many of you use or have used DIBELS.

Anyone out there use the DIBELS Next program?

3. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Sep 10, 2018

Yes, we use it. Do you have specific questions?

YoungTeacherGuy likes this.
  4. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Sep 10, 2018

We used DIBELs Next for awhile, but not anymore. I and other teachers didn't seem too excited about it. I realize some love DIBELs and some don't. I am in the latter category. If you like DIBELs, you will probably like DIBELs Next even more. If you don't like DIBELs, you probably still won't like DIBELs with DIBELs Next.

5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Sep 10, 2018

We haven't used DIBELS in years! It was back when I was a classroom teacher that we last used it (2012). Anyway, my district purchased it again this year and a lot has changed. I went through a quick and dirty 1 hour training today and now I need to return to my site to train my teachers. They were used to administering the test via paper/pencil, so now that it's online, it's going to be an adjustment.

6. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Sep 10, 2018

We use it. I haven’t seen a benefit of it over Dibels though.

7. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Sep 10, 2018

I resisted the online scoring thing for an embarrassingly long amount of time. I liked that in the paper/pencil scoring, I could quickly write down what my kids said instead of the correct word when they made a mistake. I finally switched to doing the online scoring 2 years ago and love it. It's really nice to have all of the data all in one place accessible from anywhere and by any teacher that works with the kid (rather than having binders full of paper that I'd then have to try to share with people). It also saved me tons of time and paper, from not having to print all of the passages over and over. And in all honesty, I find I remember the stuff I was writing down in paper/pencil anyway (stuff like yes- this kid makes a lot of mistakes- but it's mostly leaving off endings or something like that).