Desperate Need of a Literacy Lesson!

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by MsRose4, May 2, 2012.

1. MsRose4

MsRose4 Rookie

May 2, 2012

Hi everyone! I'm new to this thread but I find it extremly helpful and I lurk all the time :) I currently live in New York but my boyfriend and I are trying to move to North Carolina. I had a phone interview with a school in the Charlotte school district this morning and they offered me to come down to their school a week from tomorrow to teach a lesson to a class of 24 fifth graders on anything in literacy. I am in desperate need of a super, awesome, amazing lesson. I know that they like Lucy Calkins (although I know she has more to do with writing I want my lesson to have to do with reading and writing I think). This is SOOO important to me as I REALLY want to move there, have been trying for a while, and this is my chance. Any and all help would be much appreciated!

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 2, 2012

Try looking up some example lessons for the common core standards. These might steer you in the right direction.

4. MsRose4

MsRose4 Rookie

May 2, 2012

Do you think it's a good idea to do a lesson using reader's workshop/ Doing a mini-lesson, having them work (probably partner up or in groups) and then discussing?

5. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

May 2, 2012

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 2, 2012

I wouldn't use a complete reader's workshop unless the school/classroom use this approach. Students may not have books to read. But I think that it is perfectly acceptable to teach a mini lesson and have all the students read something you provide them.

7. MsRose4

MsRose4 Rookie

May 3, 2012

Thank you everyone! Do you think comparing and contrasting two characters in a book is a good lesson? Doing a mini lesson, modeling, having them do it and then pulling it all back together in a class discussion? I would have them start by comparing a picture or themselves with a partner. Then do a read aloud where I think aloud and we fill out a grapihic organizer together (or should I just do that alone to model?) then giving them a text to compare and contrast two characters with a partner or by themselves (by themselves I'm thinking?) and then having a class discussion and doing a venn diagram together as a class about what they just read? I know comparing and contrasting characters in a text is a fifth grade standard in North Carolina but it this lesson to easy? I have no idea where the class is and I'm worried about making my lesson too hard or too easy. This is also considered a literacy lesson right? I'm a bit confused as what they want for a literacy lesson since it's such a broad topic. HELP!!

8. MsRose4

MsRose4 Rookie

May 3, 2012

Also, do you think they should write a statement about the similarities and differences to make it a little more difficult?

9. MsRose4

MsRose4 Rookie

May 3, 2012

Basically it would look like this:

1. Definition of compare and contrast. What are key words?
    2. When do we use comparisons and contractions? Why are they important?
    3. Compare and contrast a picture as a class.
    4. Compare and contrast traits you have with a partner.
    5. Read a book and model thinking aloud, marking texts to make comparisons and contractions
    6. Have them work independently reading a passage to compare and contrast characters from a passage
    7. Go over it as a class

Good? Bad? So-So?

10. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

May 3, 2012

In case you didn't see it yet, here's the advice given on A to Z's FB page:
    Kerren Coburn: ‎5th graders can be so tricky to get on board . . . seems like it needs to be something all about THEM. For example maybe some poetic lesson involving their likes, dislikes or even an acrostic or a diamontic poem involving their names. If they're not with you . . . . they'll "sink" you. Best of luck! Hope you report back how it goes.

11. glitterfish

glitterfish Comrade

May 3, 2012

How long do you have to teach your lesson? I think your lesson sounds wonderful, but also like it would take quite a long time to complete. In my experience, demo lessons for interviews last only 30-45 minutes, at the most.

12. MsRose4

MsRose4 Rookie

May 4, 2012

That's another problem. When I was asked to come in to teach a lesson, I forgot to ask how long I had and they forgot to mention it. I called and left a message but I haven't heard back yet. And it will take a while that's true. So maybe I could cut some parts out? I don't know which parts though :(