Departmentalized 5th grade classroom setup...?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by CDOR79, Aug 27, 2018.

1. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

Aug 27, 2018

So I'm going from 3rd grade homeroom to where I had my students all the time and taught all subjects...to a new school and teaching 5th. There are two 5th grades at this new school. I will be teaching ELA, social studies and religion and the other teacher has math and science.

I'm just wondering...can I do a lot of the same things I did with my 3rd grade classroom since technically half of them will be "mine"? What I'm referring to would be like class jobs, a calendar, an Instagram wall where I put up pictures of the students...etc. Or is this pointless since they'll be floating in and out of my room every day?

To those that have a similar set up, how do you do it?

3. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Aug 27, 2018

Do they only have one other teacher?

If they're in your room for around half the day, I think you can still create that homeroom atmosphere. Fifth grade is very different from third, and they'll want to feel more grown up, so keep that in mind as you decorate. But they will still love to have a personalized classroom.

CDOR79 likes this.
  4. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

Aug 28, 2018

Yes, there’s only one other 5th grade class and teacher.

I didn’t get my schedule yet- so that makes it a bit harder to decide how to decorate. The previous teacher left all the boards and her posters, etc up. They’re all about ELA and grammar rules, etc. I’m tempted to recycle some of her things and build my “own” as the first few weeks progress since I’m so short on time!

You make a good point. I don’t have to decorate it the same way since they are older. I have to keep that in mind. I also need to speak to the other teacher and see what she does!

5. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Aug 29, 2018

Fifth graders love to see their own work on the board. Maybe you can do a class-building activity that produces something to put up.

6. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 30, 2018

I teach fourth grade in a similar departmentalized structure. Yes, you can still do things like class jobs. In fact, you can do it with both classes. They are both “yours” (and things get remarkably better when you begin to see it that way). They can definitely handle switching between your expectations and the other teacher’s, so it’s absolutely fine to do the same things you’d do if you were self-contained.

otterpop likes this.