Demo Lesson Tips

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Holyoke, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Kelster95

Kelster95 Companion

Apr 2, 2018

Your demo is only 25 minutes don’t try to jam too much into one lesson. Even though this is reteaching an unmastered skill you likely wouldn’t only spend 25 minutes in the entire standard in the real world so you don’t need to for a demo. I would focus on either the ordering integer or the absolute value as these are easily confused topics for students and jamming them into one short lesson isn’t going let you show your best teaching assessment wise for however you end your lesson.

2. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Habitué

Apr 2, 2018

Good point. I was just wondering if ordering integers is too easy for 8th grade.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 2, 2018

If you need to get them up and moving, give each student a card with an integer on it. They need to arrange themselves into a line from least to greatest as quickly as possible (I time them) without talking.

4. Elisabet Esteva

Elisabet Esteva New Member

Apr 2, 2018

lots of good tops on commoncoresheets or print them off

5. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Devotee

Apr 2, 2018

Could you give them a two minute entrance ticket as they walk in on ordering integers? If most of them get it, teach the absolute value building off the ordering. If not, just teach the ordering?

6. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Habitué

Apr 2, 2018

Do you think I should make two different plans just in case? I'm working on sending something to the P tonight and I'm trying to figure out what exactly I should teach.

7. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Devotee

Apr 2, 2018

It certainly couldn't hurt to have a back-up plan, especially since the lesson is only 25 minutes. I would focus most of your efforts on the one, but in the event that it seems too easy for most of the kids, having that flexibility would be a good thing.

8. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Habitué

Apr 2, 2018

I've created an extension if it is too easy for the kids. They have a bunch of points on a number line represented by variables and they have to write two different inequalities comparing different points. I know my 8th graders would be challenged by that somewhat so I think this will work. Wish me luck!

9. Kelster95

Kelster95 Companion

Apr 3, 2018

I like your extension back up plan. Good thinking!

10. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Devotee

Apr 3, 2018

That's a good idea---good luck

11. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Habitué

Apr 3, 2018

This is a good idea! I think I'll have this prepped as a backup depending on how many kids there are. If it's a small class, I might do this.

12. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Habitué

Apr 4, 2018

Agh...so that did not go well at all. I actually ended up having a very academically low group of 6th graders. We literally just got through ordering rational numbers and that's it! I really don't think they liked it. :( I couldn't even get to my exit ticket. The behavior wasn't great but I did my best.

13. Been There

Been There Habitué

Apr 4, 2018

Sorry to hear your demo didn't turn out as well as you would have liked - just chalk it up as a learning experience. The info you provided actually pointed to the students' low math achievement levels. Next time lower the bar even below the middle group. It's always much easier to ramp up a lesson on the spot than to gear it down. For a group that you have never worked with, it's even advisable to begin with a 2-3 question "pre-test", to help ensure that your lesson is on target and facilitate any last minutes adjustuments. Of course, the artificial conditions of the demo were less than ideal.

14. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Habitué

Apr 4, 2018

This is the advice I should have taken!!! Haha

15. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Habitué

Apr 4, 2018

I also had kind of a strange feeling about the position. The woman said it was for 7th and 8th grade math and the kids haven't had a math teacher in two years because of turnover. So I'm also not sure if this was a position I would want. We will see if they will give me an interview though!

16. Been There

Been There Habitué

Apr 7, 2018

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  17. imtyazharoon

imtyazharoon Rookie

Apr 8, 2018

I think you are destined for success. I generally present requesting whole numbers with the possibility of cash since center schoolers can comprehend needing to have cash as opposed to owing somebody cash.