Demo Lesson Tips

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Holyoke, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Cohort

Mar 30, 2018

I have been invited to teach a demo lesson next week. I have to analyze a test and teach a lesson that meets one of the standards that students did not master. The issue is that the test is a 6th grade test and I am teaching 8th graders. Does anyone have any tips for a 25 minute demo lesson?

3. Been There

Been There Comrade

Mar 31, 2018

Unfortunately, your post lacks sufficient information for anyone to offer meaningful advice. It would be most helpful to know what kind of test you will be analyzing and the subject area of the lesson. In the absence of specific info, I assume you're asking for generic tips for your demo lesson. I don't understand why the 6th grade test would be an issue for you. How much time will you be given to analyze the test and prepare the lesson?

4. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Cohort

Mar 31, 2018

I've analyzed the test and the two standards that students who took the test did not master are:

-understanding ordering numbers on a number line and absolute value
    -dividing fractions by fractions

Does anyone have any ideas? I was thinking of doing a story problem with fractions where they need to model fraction division. I was confused by the directions because it is a math test that 6th graders took, but I'm teaching the lesson to an 8th grade class. I also know that my 8th grade students could definitely use a fraction review so I'm sure it'll be fine!!

5. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Cohort

Mar 31, 2018

The demo lesson is on Wednesday but I need to email my analysis and lesson plan to the principal by Monday night.

6. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Habitué

Mar 31, 2018

It sounds like they want to know how you'd handle a class of students who struggle with math and who are a few years behind grade level.
    I saw a really neat hands-on lesson involving Legos for teaching the concept of fractions, but, sadly, I believe it was for addition and subtraction only. I'm not sure if it could be modified for division or not....

7. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Cohort

Mar 31, 2018

8. Been There

Been There Comrade

Apr 1, 2018

I don't mean to sound negative, but there are several things about your demo lesson that should raise concerns for you. It's obvious that the principal will be assessing you in three areas: 1) analysis of test results, 2) lesson planning and 3) teaching an effective lesson. However, as Zelda has pointed out, it's also obvious that you'll be expected to teach a lesson to an underachieving class of 8th graders with significant math deficits. This class of students with whom you are unfamiliar will likely have issues related to attention, motivation and behavior - they will be watching to see how you respond to these potential distractors to your lesson.

Having taught middle school math for seven years, I predict that many of the students will have poor basic math skills, especially with multiplication and division. There will also most likely be gaps in their conceptual understanding of math. If my surmise is accurate, your use of a task such as the one from the Illustrative Mathematics website may be way too challenging for them! Instead of choosing to develop a lesson for the most difficult of the two standards, I would suggest that you focus on understanding ordering numbers on a number line.

9. Kelster95

Kelster95 Companion

Apr 1, 2018

There are several different versions of a song for dividing fractions on you tube and teacher tube that really stick with middle school kids. I used a teacher tube version called flip it good with a summer school group. It is just a couple of minutes to reinforce the concept in a different way that will stick with struggling students.

10. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Cohort

Apr 1, 2018

The issue is that I don't want to do a purely procedural lesson and I only have 25 minutes. I loved the fractions idea but I agree that it might be too hard. :( My kids would struggle with it and I don't know these kids.

For ordering numbers on a number line and absolute value, what do you think of this lesson?

Stock Market Investment

Mr. Bryant has invested some of his money in Apple Computers’ stock.

I would give them a table that shows the change in a stock (Ex. January: gained 5 dollars, February: lost $8, etc.)

Part A:
    Plot the changes in value on a number line.

Part B:
    List the changes in value from the greatest to least.

Part C:
    Using the concept of absolute value, list the values in order to show the most amount of change to the smallest amount of change.

Part D:
    Explain why the lists in Parts B and C are different.

11. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Habitué

Apr 1, 2018

12. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Cohort

Apr 1, 2018

I love the song but I unfortunately don't have technology access for my demo. I'll look through and see how they explain the concept since it is something that I have never taught before.

13. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Cohort

Apr 1, 2018

Here is what I have so far. I would love any advice anyone has so far.

Standard: Understand ordering and absolute value of rational numbers.

Objective: Students will be able to order rational numbers as well as the absolute value of rational numbers using a number line. (I will work on re-writing this soon.)

Do Now: Students will read real life situations, decide whether each situation describes a positive or negative number, and write a number to describe the situation. We will go over the Do Now after students have had 3 minutes to work.

-Gained 6 points
    -10 feet below sea level
    -A debt of 42 dollars
    -1000 followers on twitter

Lesson: I will introduce the context of a lemonade stand, where students will be given a table with days and the change in value. (Ex. Monday: gained $8, Tuesday: lost $3, etc.)

Students will answer the following questions. We will pause to discuss as a class.

1.Plot the changes in value on a number line. Label each point with the day.
    2.List the changes in value from the least to greatest.
    3.List the values in order to show the smallest amount of change to the most amount of change.
    4.Marley says that the -6 is greater than -4 because 6 is greater than 4. Is he correct?

(I'm concerned that #3 will be challenging for students.)

We will conclude with an everybody writes activity where students will answer the question: Explain why the lists in Questions 1 and Question 2 are different. They will be able to turn and talk before answering this question. I will also have an exit ticket prepared if we have time.

This is my first demo lesson for a job I really want. Any feedback would be appreciated!!!!

14. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Habitué

Apr 1, 2018

I don't know....I would find this to be very low for 8th graders. I know that you are probably dealing with weak students if they gave you a 6th grade test for a group of 8th graders, but I would be concerned about the students already knowing this material.

15. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Cohort

Apr 1, 2018

16. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Cohort

Apr 1, 2018

I feel this way too but it does meet the 6th grade standards so I'm not sure what to do. The test showed that students could not order integers and did not understand absolute value.

17. Kelster95

Kelster95 Companion

Apr 1, 2018

I think you are on the right track. I always introduce ordering integers with the idea of money because middle schoolers can understand wanting to have money versus owing someone money.

18. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Cohort

Apr 1, 2018

I also have to tie in absolute value. Do you have any ideas?

19. Kelster95

Kelster95 Companion

Apr 2, 2018

I don’t know why this works but it does. Absolute value is always positive have the kids repeat it whenever you say absolute value. It sounds silly and the words don’t really connect but something about it works in the middle school brain.

20. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Cohort

Apr 2, 2018

I want them to connect it to the point's distance from 0 which is why I was thinking of the staircase example.

21. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Habitué

Apr 2, 2018