Demo lesson ideas feedback

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by workingwithkids, Jun 19, 2018.

1. workingwithkids

workingwithkids Rookie

Jun 19, 2018

I have an interview for a 4th grade math position on Monday. I have only taught a demo lesson once and I did something I found on the internet (I hadn't started teaching yet). The demo lesson will be in front off 10-12 4th graders in summer school. I was told to pick any 4th grade standard. It needs to be 10-15 minutes long.
    I would like to do a lesson on probability involving candy of some kind. If this isn't a good idea, I would like to do Doodle Notes. Does anyone have any other ideas?

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 20, 2018

I wouldn't do anything with food as a demo lesson. You don't know the allergies or intolerances of the students, nor do you know the district's position on candy/treats. So it's best to leave food out of it.

I don't know what Doodle Notes is. Not sure if that is a good idea or not.

I would suggest that you choose something involving fractions or division, as those are two of the major areas covered in fourth grade standards. Sure, they may have some probability in there, too, but it's not a priority standard. I think you'll have a better chance if you go with content that is a priority standard.

4. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Jun 20, 2018

Also remember that if these kids are in summer school, the lesson may need to be aimed a little lower than you normally may do just to be safe. Whatever you do---keep it basic!

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 20, 2018

Is probability in your state standards?

6. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 20, 2018

My guess is that the purpose of this short lesson is to demonstrate that you can plan a pedagogically sound lesson and deliver it effectively to a group of students. So don't get fancy. Show a basic, clear lesson. 10-15 minutes is not a long time, so keep it moving quickly and make sure you give the students a chance to participate in something. (not just listen to you talk for 10-15 minutes).

7. workingwithkids

workingwithkids Rookie

Jun 20, 2018

Thanks for all of the replies and feedback. Doodle notes are a notetaking approach where the kids doodle while they are taking notes which helps them stay focused. Should I plan an actual lesson or a game such as "I have, who has" for fractions? Since I don't know anything about the students, I am really struggling.

8. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 20, 2018

I think you need an actual lesson, but your lesson could include a game.

9. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Jun 20, 2018

I wouldn't do Doodle Notes.

As with any lesson, start with the state standards for that grade level and choose something that is part of those state standards. Then plan your lesson to meet that standard, taking into consideration the short time available.

bella84 likes this.
  10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 21, 2018

I wouldn’t do doodle notes. Or just a game. Teach or review something linked to the standards..maybe something in geometry or measurement...they often get shallow teaching due to other demands.

bella84 likes this.