Delay accepting job offer to gather more info?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by allaphoristic, Apr 14, 2019.

1. allaphoristic

allaphoristic Rookie

Apr 14, 2019

Next year will be my third year teaching elementary school.

I've been teaching at the same school for the last two years, but I'm looking to transfer to a district closer to my home. Currently doing 45-hour each way. Not awful, but it's taking a toll.

I have an offer for position at a district 10 minutes away from home. When I interviewed, it was with a panel of 3 principals who had openings at their school. The panel interview and demo lesson took place at School A, my offer is for School B.

District HR has asked for me to make a decision by Monday. Would it be out of line for me to ask to observe at School B first? This will delay my answer by over a week, because the district is on spring break next week (HR will be in office though).

I've read over the union contract and talked briefly with a couple current coworkers who are familiar with the school. No overt red flags, seems similar to my current school. But I would like to visit.

Do you think this is something that would result in the offer being revoked?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 14, 2019

No harm in asking.

4. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Apr 14, 2019

I agree that it doesn't hurt to ask. I don't think they'd revoke the offer, but it's possible they'll say they can't wait that long so you need to make a decision without visiting first.

Another idea is to ask for contact info for teammates you'd be working with. You could reach out to them and ask some questions. A few years ago a candidate who was offered a position on my team did that and I thought it was really smart. She emailed me asking about how the team functioned, what kind of resources we had, what the kids were like, and how supportive admin was. Unfortunately with it being spring break, you might not get an answer quickly either, but again, it's worth trying. I don't check my email over breaks but I know a lot of people do.

5. alp123

alp123 Companion

Apr 14, 2019

I think it's smart to check the school out first. I wish I had and regret it. The whole school either quit or transferred under the current admin. and after being there for a year, I understand why. I was driving 40 miles one way, but loved my school. Unfortunately, like you the commute was taking it's toll. Wish I had asked to talk to team teachers......but they all left. :( All but one person was new on campus!!!! Now 10 of us are being transferred to a different school site, but the admin is buddies with my current admin. :(

6. allaphoristic

allaphoristic Rookie

Apr 14, 2019

Oh geez! I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope things go better at your new school site!

I'm not too concerned about admin. I do know one person who has taught there for the last six years and the position that I have been offered is the only opening at that site, so I'm not expecting a mass exodus.