Decorating Ideas and ChildProofing for Day Care Home

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by Guest, Feb 12, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Feb 12, 2002

I am looking for any information on decorating a room in my house which will be used for providing a license daycare. Also, any information on childproofing would be good as well.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Mar 1, 2002

I can imagine that you feel overwhelmed at the very idea of decorating the room. That was always where I was most indecisive. :)

This is what I would do: Since it will be a licensed daycare, get all the literature you can from whoever will be checking you to maintain your license on what safety and equipment standards you will be checked for. That should be priority. (You know, the stuff about the outlets being covered, so many square feet per child, sinks, changing and toilet facilities, etc.) Once that is out of the way, I would go to www.naeyc.org and look up what kind of room setup would be most appropriate for the ages of children you plan to have. They also have *great* affordable books and videos on daycare setup and running a daycare.

As far as the decorating part of it, I would stay with happy colors, but not busy colors or too many colors. Pick a nice calming color, make that your main color, and add others here and there. I say that because one year I had a very brightly painted, multi-colored room, and you could see the kids had a hard time remaining focused or calm. :) I personally wouldn't do too much of the Disney thing or the Barney thing, but that's just me thinking that takes away from their creativity. Anyway, whatever you pick, make sure its washable!!! Hope this helps at least a bit.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Mar 4, 2002

Hi,
    We had CHIld Resource and Referal come in and one thing they suggested that worked wonderfully for us was to have each child bring in a family picture to hang at eye level in our quiet corner. When the child is sad they can go find their family and read them a story. Another thing that we do is take pictures of the kids (you may need a permission slip to take the child's picture) doing different things and hang them around the room as well. I change these each month.
    I hope this helps,
    Becky

5. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Mar 27, 2002

Stay with calm colors, no red or orange those colors are energetic and may adversely affect some children.