"Decorating" High School Resource Room

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by missjessica, Jun 29, 2011.

1. missjessica

missjessica Rookie

Jun 29, 2011

Hello all,
    I've posted on here a few times before. I'm a young, first year teacher getting ready to start teaching a Learning Skills class at the high school level.
    How do you decorate your classroom? Apart from having classroom rules and expectations on the walls, what kind of posters should I have? I definitely don't want to go to overboard. I want it to be simple, clean, and organized. :)

3. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jun 29, 2011

My classroom is themed to Super Mario Brothers. I have some wall decals, stuffed animals and various knick knacks. What teenager doesn't love video games? It took me about 3 years to get it all together since I've purchased the pieces over the years and its a little elaborate at this point. It is however very cool. The wall outside has the cardboard cutouts and I'll decorate with the students' "super work."

4. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jun 29, 2011

I never do a theme. Remember, these kids are 14-17 years old and they all have different tastes. If you have bulletin boards, decorate one with age appropriate behavior posters or the like or if you're going to showcase any particular kind of work, come up with a clever display idea for that but leave it blank for upcoming student work. I always start with what makes ME happy and then add a few things that would make the kids happy, and then I end up putting more and more STUDENT-made stuff up as the year progresses.

What I'm trying to say is, keep it simple and age-appropriate. Not too girly, not too boyish. And build on it as you go. Remember, it doesn't have to be completely decorated prior to the first day of school. :)

5. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2011

I would have useful charts on the wall but not too many. I have useful things on my walls, but no decorations.

Some things I have on my wall that are helpful:
    a number line (you will want negative numbers in HS resource)
    an alphabet (sometimes even the older kids need to glance at it)
    a chart of synonyms for overused words
    punctuation resource chart

Some things I don't have but would if I taught resource:
    map of the US and World
    proofreading marks
    check your work checklist (too hard for my guys to read)

Most of these are available on trendenterprises.com. I don't know where I got my synonym chart, maybe Carson Delllosa?

6. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2011

I checked. The synonym chart is from Carson Dellosa. It's entitled "Be More Descriptive".

7. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 30, 2011

I like some of the posters from Teacher's Discovery. Their website isn't user friendly if you don't know their products, but you can get a catalog. Many of their posters are designed for the teenage set.

I also designed several posters on VistaPrint.

As far as decorating, my "theme" is college dorm room. I have a lot of Jayhawk stuff, band posters, etc.

8. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jun 30, 2011

THis is still my favorite display, I saw it years ago while subbing.....

The teacher made what looked like a fridge door for her bulletin board=it was a piece of sheet metal with a tinfoil handle and it said "look who made the fridge" or something similar.....kids chose to use the magnets to hang their best work.

9. missjessica

missjessica Rookie

Jun 30, 2011

Wow, you guys have some great ideas!
    I like the idea of a fridge for putting up student work.
    I also will order some posters from that website for grammar, punctuation, synonyms, etc.
    I definitely want to keep it professional looking and I agree with Zoom-it's also important to have things that make YOU feel happy!
    I will definitely keep these in mind when adding things to my classroom. First I will check with other teachers to see if they have any left over posters or materials I can use. This whole "being a teacher" thing is expensive!

10. jlwood08

jlwood08 New Member

Jul 11, 2011

I work in a high school life skills classroom and have the kids for all subjects. I try and I have on my bulletin boards things that cover what we are studying. For example newspapers, food groups, maps, etc. I also try to find posters that have positive messages on them with pictures. i have found that the Dollar Tree has some good posters at times and they are only a buck!!