Decorating a classroom with no bulletin boards??

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by mcjklj, Apr 6, 2008.

1. mcjklj

mcjklj Rookie

Apr 6, 2008

Hi, I just saw the classroom that I'll be teaching in next year and found out that the walls are not the "bulletin board" type that you can put pins in. I had planned on covering the walls with different fabrics and borders to create my bulletin boards, but now I'm not sure what to do. I don't really want to use just the small bulletin boards. I like to use the complete walls for color and displays. Maybe I can put up fabrics and then use tacky stuff to put the displays up, or put cork up on the walls first. Any suggestions????

3. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 6, 2008

This will be of absolutely no help to you, but if I got a classroom like this, I would thank my lucky stars! I HATE bulletin boards!

Sorry, I am of no help. Can you paint on the walls?

4. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Apr 6, 2008

I had a classroom with no BB for awhile. I bought a special paint that has metal in it which makes magnets stick to it. It isn't cheap and it is an ugly gray color but I painted over it with the room color paint. It worked well for hanging things with magnets. I put magnets on the back of BB border to outline the area.
    You might also find a large BB cheap at Staples in the clearance section. I also found a large foam core board on clearance for $5.

5. 1gdteach

1gdteach Companion

Apr 6, 2008

I had a classroom like that, but I just picked where I wanted to make a bb and I put the paper up and border around it and made the bulletin board. I really liked it bc I could reaarange my room and put the bb anywhere.

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 6, 2008

Personally I hate all the time that goes into decorating BB. If you want to display your papers or projects you can go about it in a variety of different ways. For example, you can buy a strip that adheres to the wall and it is a small corkboard (1/2 in high) for you to post things on (hanging from it). You can use a paper clip and hang it from the ceiling if you have tiles. You can hang some laundry string from one side to another and clip papers with clothes pins. You can stick some on your cabinets. That's where our word wall is.

7. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Apr 6, 2008

Before you put any sort of covering on anything (cork, fabric, whatever) check the fire codes first. They can be pretty strict sometimes.

8. old-new teacher

old-new teacher Comrade

Apr 6, 2008

What material are the walls made of? If they are painted cinder block, you can hot glue fabric to the walls for bulletin boards! It won't ruin the walls if you do. However, if they are plaster or drywall, it will peel away the top layer of wall if you do it. If that is the case, you could staple fabric at the top and bottom to the wall and then attach things to it with hot glue or even staples. That's what I do on our hallway since we don't have hallway bulletin boards.

9. janlee

janlee Devotee

Apr 6, 2008

I have no bulletin boards and I LOVE IT! If I want to display student work I hang it from the wires strung across the room or display it on the walls outside of my classroom. Each child has a cubby and above the cubby is a cabinet for storage. Each student can hang papers on the cabinet door if they wish.

10. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Apr 6, 2008

You could attach strong fishing line to make a clothes line-type thing to hang student work on. I hang a lot of student work from the ceiling. I use string with a clip on the end.

I would love to do this!: You take house siding and attach it to the wall to display books and student work.

11. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Apr 6, 2008

Use the side of your file cabinet for a BB.

The back of a bookcase.

Your door.

Your windows.

The front of your desk.

12. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Apr 7, 2008

I taught in a school where all the walls were concrete blocks and they required a bb for every subject, but there were only 3 actual bb's in the room.

We took pieces of cardboard and used a big wood stapler and stapled the cardboard to the wall cinder block wall. Then we used tape to cover it with butcher paper. I think staples actually worked on the cardboard most of the time.

I use my windows to display art, and my word wall is on a big huge window.

13. kburen

kburen Cohort

Apr 7, 2008

Teachers at my school have found that hot glue guns work really well to hold things to the walls....Maybe you could staple the fabric to cardboard the hot glue the cardboard/fabric to the wall....then staple things to it that way?....Just a thought....

14. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Apr 7, 2008

You could buy large pieces of felt and then use velcro to put up signs and other things. Plus felt will be easier to move around the classroom if you want to change things and come in alot of colors too.

15. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Apr 7, 2008

I would love this room! I hate doing bb boards. I was never happier when I moved to a new school and discovered that we did not have to do hallway bbs!!!

Sorry that I can't be of any help, but you sholud def. check with fire code laws....ours have all sorts of silly rules and you don't want to get in troulbe!

16. Purple Haze

Purple Haze Rookie

Apr 7, 2008

When I was student teaching I saw something truly creative. The teacher had bought oil pans from Walmart, the kind you slide under an oil leaking car, and she proped them up against the wall. Then she attached papers to these oil pans with magnets! It was cute and it was portable. I guess you could even paint the oil pans with spray paint so they color coordinated. The pans are about $10.00 each. Good Luck!

17. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Apr 7, 2008

I have no BBs. I just hang things straight on the walls with tape or sticky tack. (depends how long it needs to stay up for) For real durability, I can even staple things into 1.5 of the walls.

18. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Apr 8, 2008

At my old school we needed a Saxon Math bulletin board, but there wasn't a board. The walls were drywall and they didn't want us stapling or taping to the walls because the paint would come off. I got a big piece of butcher paper and put stikki wax all on the back. Stikki wax held the paper up all year with no problems. I used blue tac on the items I wanted to stick to the butcher paper.

19. elmstreet

elmstreet New Member

Apr 8, 2008

There is an adhesive spray called 777 Adhesive that you can get at a local office supply store. You spray it on a surface and the surface becomes sticky. Only bad thing is that it does not wash off very well. But no more staples or push pins. It is easy to peel off and put on!!!

20. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Apr 8, 2008

I bought cork tiles and hot glued them to the walls to make three bulletin boards.

I like bulletin boards. I like covering them with large sheets of colorful paper and then letting them sit empty all year.

No, just kidding. Half the year.

21. mcjklj

mcjklj Rookie

Apr 12, 2008

Thanks for the great ideas!!