Dealing with own feminine issues while teaching-for the ladies

Discussion in 'General Education' started by linswin23, Mar 11, 2018.

1. Camel13

Camel13 Rookie

Mar 13, 2018

Would it be nice if teachers in adjacent rooms would alternately "spell" each teacher for this! My next door neighbors are men so I feel uncomfortable asking, though.

2. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Mar 15, 2018

I am in the same boat as well!!! I work with mostly men. Not complaining, they are all great guys, but it's kind of uncomfortable to ask.

3. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Mar 15, 2018

It wasn't so bad when I was on BC because it was light enough I only had to go once a day / on my lunch break.
    But now that we're trying to have a baby, it's been a few months of torturous "I have to be near a bathroom at all times" for the first couple days :rolleyes: of each cycle :mad:

4. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Mar 16, 2018

I would ask any of my mail colleagues to watch my class for any reason.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 16, 2018

You don't need to go into details; a simple, "Can you watch my class for a minute while I run to the washroom?" will suffice.

linswin23 and MissCeliaB like this.
  6. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Mar 16, 2018

Isn't this so sad that we can't just go to the bathroom? I have had many accident! It's so embarrassing. Plus as you age your body changes and so do your cycles. I always have a spare pair of underwear in my room and I keep a LONG sweater just in case. I am pretty lucky now that my awesome teammate is literally right there and she can watch my class for me.

linswin23 likes this.
  7. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Aficionado

Mar 16, 2018

I've been asked to cover classrooms several times for (what I'm assuming is) this reason. Whenever they take their purse with them, I assume it's a female issue. Not my business, though, and I'm glad to cover.

linswin23 and ChildWhisperer like this.
  8. TeacherWhoRuns

TeacherWhoRuns Companion

Mar 16, 2018

I went through an extreme level of dealing with this with fibroids. For a while I had severely heavy flow and incredible pain. I was on 800mg Ibuprofen and the doctor gave me some low level narcotics that I didn't take at school, but I had them with me in case. It got to the point where the bleeding never stopped. it was all I could do to make it through each day, and I was only on a half-day teaching schedule at the time. From October through January when I finally had an emergency hysterectomy, I was bleeding non-stop. I'd stand up and feel massive clots drop. I had to use a tampon plus an overnight pad and I had to change them every two hours or so. Fortunately, I did have the ability to run to the restroom every few hours, but it was only by the grace of God that I never had a very visible accident. I did always wear black pants though. I was terrified to wear anything else.

If you're in the normal range like most people where it's just an inconvenience but you're worried, I'd suggest coupling tampons with a pantiliner or a thin pad. As for cramps, before fibroids, I found that taking a couple of motrin when I first realized my period was starting limited the cramps from getting to be a problem. If I waited until I was really hurting, the motrin didn't seem to help as much. It sucks, but you can deal. We're women. We deal with all kinds of difficult things!

9. TeacherWhoRuns

TeacherWhoRuns Companion

Mar 16, 2018

They don't have to know why you need to leave. You wouldn't explain if it's #1 or #2, so why would you go into an explanation of it being Aunt Flow?

10. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Mar 17, 2018

I can usually run between classes and get back before the bell (3 minutes). Now that I'm pregnant though, I've had to ask the teacher next to me to watch my kids a lot. Between morning sickness and having to pee all the time, I feel like I'm always running downstairs!
    My good friend and fellow teacher has terrible periods on her first day. She takes some OTC meds as she doesn't want to do anything stronger. Otherwise she just does her best to make it through the day.

11. Always_Learning0987

Always_Learning0987 Rookie

Mar 18, 2018

Watch out for the coffee, it will dehydrate you which can make the cramps worse.

linswin23 likes this.
  12. Always_Learning0987

Always_Learning0987 Rookie

Mar 18, 2018

Physical activity helps a good deal with periods. I know you’re all probably rolling your eyes and thinking can’t I just have some chocolate, Netflix and a pillow? But studies show that even walking will help with fatigue, cramps and general mood.

linswin23 likes this.
  13. Kat.

Kat. Companion

Mar 18, 2018

I get EXHAUSTED on mine. As in I'll sleep most of the day on the weekends if possible. I do more centers/small groups when it's really bad so I can sit down at my table and be relaxed. Still teaching, just not as much movement for me. I teach first grade though, so it's a practical solution for my setting.

linswin23 likes this.
  14. TXforever

TXforever Companion

Mar 21, 2018

Ugh. It’s a pain. When I have recess duty, I don’t have a break from 11:30-3:44 since we all have car duty.

15. Joyful!

Joyful! Cohort

Mar 21, 2018

Yes, this is a regular issue that we all have figured how to get around the best way we can. I'm always embarrassed to ask someone to watch my class for any restroom reason. My schedule is not a benefit to my bladder on a regular day, no less on another day.
    The last obgyn visit I had gave this big questionnaire about bladder issues. Sadly, I wrote on mine that as a teacher, I felt like my lot in life was to have no bladder by retirement.