Data Sheets

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by sammyrams, Jul 24, 2010.

1. sammyrams

sammyrams Companion

Jul 24, 2010

I am looking to see if you guys have any better looking data sheets than I do. Mine is just and Excel spreadsheet with the student goals down the left side and dates across the top. I feel this is pretty ineffective for me. I really want to spread the wealth with data taking this year and let my aides do some of it as well, it was too much for me last year. I was thinking of doing stations this year that the students would rotate thru with different activities. I was thinking to have goal sheets at each station so whomever was leading that station would be able to take data for the goals specified for that station. Does this make more sense???

3. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Jul 24, 2010

sammyrams - I will send you some. Need to get to my school computer and we are not allowed in until August. I'm working on some new ones and can send those ones as I finish :).

4. sammyrams

sammyrams Companion

Jul 25, 2010

That would be great! Thanks so much!

5. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2010

Sammyrams,

How often do you take data?
    What format is the data? Do you do discrete trials?
    What is the data for?
    Do you present the data to the parents, supervisor, district?
    Does it just stay in a notebook?

With these questions answered, I may have some data sheets you'd be interested in. I have all kinds of data sheets!

6. sammyrams

sammyrams Companion

Jul 26, 2010

The data is for their IEP goals and objectives. We have to take our data at least once per week. The data is compiled at the end of every quarter and given to the SPED dept and the parents. My kids are so low that they make progress verrry slowly, so sometimes it seems crazy to do it weekly, but hey I like my job and want to keep it. :)

7. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2010

OK so do you have 1:1 in your room, and the assistants take data?
    Is it per skill? Are you doing "percentage correct" or "prompt provided"?

(Believe me, I know allll about the data, but everyone does it for different reasons/different audiences.)

I have several different kinds of sheets that might help you.

I have one that I do monthly to give to the parents. It's very easy to read. You could definitely do it weekly, just put your own dates in.

It lists the different categories of the goals and then there is an area for data numbers, percentages, prompts, comments, etc.

I like it because it's parent friendly. I find a lot of the data sheets to be very difficult to use.

I also have other data sheets I use in the classroom for daily data. I also have a system that involves notecards (index cards) and there is a card for each skill, which has been very good for the kids who have daily data collected. You put the card in the finished pile when the data has been collected. Also there is a mastered pile of cards that you can go back through to be sure the skills are being maintained. Let me know if you'd like me to share any of these.

The data card system sounds complicated - but it really works well for organization and daily data. Might be good for you!

8. sammyrams

sammyrams Companion

Jul 26, 2010

I usually just use pluses or minuses to show if they did it or not. Each time I take data I make sure they have multiple opportunities to demonstrate the objective. I then make any notes if they needed physical, verbal or no assistance.

Here is where I see differences in data taking across the department. Say the goal is for following a verbal prompt with no physical assistance or verbal reminders. I take the data taking literally when I take my data. A plus is given if I did not have to give any physical assistance or any reminders only. Otherwise it is a minus.

Some people take more data based on the percentage of success at how the goal is stated, how they follow with a verbal reminder, how they follow with physical assistance, etc. That just seems like I would be taking crazy amounts of data for a goal that specifies exactly what I need to be taking data for.

Does this make any sense, or should I be taking data the complicated way?

9. sammyrams

sammyrams Companion

Jul 26, 2010

I have 3 aides to help in the classroom. No 1:1's. Right now the only data they take is for the bathroom and hygine stuff since they are the ones in their with the students. I want to delegate some more of the data taking onto them this year, so I can see a better snapshot of the students' skills. Some students work better with the aides than me, so I may get better data results.

10. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 26, 2010

Data collection is one area that I need to improve on. I have 2 assistants in my class but they are usually untrained and make more work for me because I am constantly watching them to make sure they are not doing my student's work, giving too much help or expecting too much from them. It is hard to do data collection when an adult pretty much does the work.