Daily Start Book

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by teaching1st, Jul 17, 2007.

1. teaching1st

teaching1st Companion

Jul 17, 2007

My niece who was in first grade last year showed me her Daily Start Book. It is what she had to do every morning after putting her things away. I REALLY like how this book is set up. I think the first grade teachers at her school came up with this book, because I haven't been able to find anything like it. I e-mailed them about it but they haven't responded to me. :(

Anyway, in the daily start book it always start with Today is ________. The month is ____________. Then below are different problems of math/language for them to complete. In there would be a pattern they have to complete, write how much money is shown, the time, some add. and sub. problems, grammer (rewrite the sentence by fixing the problems), and a lot of other math activities (I could go on an on). Has anyone seen anything like this for grade levels?

I want to do something like this and incorporate calendar activities. So far I have these ideas:
    write today's date
    write the month
    today is (day of the week)
    yesterday was (day of the week)
    tomorrow will be (day of the week)
    place value (number of days we've been in school)
    Is today an odd or even day
    they write down the word of the week (I'm doing a vocabulary word of the week)
    there will be a part where they will draw a picture of what the weather looks like today

Any other ideas???? Thanks!!! :love:

3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 17, 2007

I've never seen this, but it looks like a good idea!