Daily grind woes

Discussion in 'General Education' started by linswin23, Nov 14, 2017 at 5:26 PM.

1. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Nov 14, 2017 at 5:26 PM

Hi everyone,

I love being a teacher, but the daily grind is wearing on me. Do you ever feel this way? In a dream world school wouldn't start until 9am and we'd only have four day weeks, but yeah, that's never going to happen. I guess I'm just ready for fall recess, lol.

Despite how different our jobs can be one day to the next it sometimes feels like there are times of monotony. Does anyone else feel this way?

3. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Nov 14, 2017 at 6:47 PM

I find the hellish nightmare of it all alleviates any sense of monotony.

In a dream world, I'd get a living salary, decent benefits, and violent psychopaths wouldn't run the school.

4. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Comrade

Nov 14, 2017 at 7:05 PM

I feel bad but this post made me laugh.

nstructor, Backroads and linswin23 like this.
  5. mathmagic

mathmagic Connoisseur

Nov 14, 2017 at 7:24 PM

I don't think I ever hit monotony with this job -- there's just always something new, always some way to liven things up, or interesting discussions to have with students. That being said, it can wear on you in terms of some of the monotony of certain paperwork or whatnot. I always say to the kids: my favorite times of the day when I'm here at the school are from the start of the school day to the end of the school day.

linswin23 likes this.
  6. rpan

rpan Comrade

Nov 14, 2017 at 10:28 PM

When i get saddled with a lot of marking, the monotony really gets me down. That is probably my least favourite aspect of the job. Marking the same papers over and over. I mitigate that by choosing to teach 2 different grade levels so that there is more variety in what I mark.

Backroads and linswin23 like this.
  7. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Nov 15, 2017 at 3:52 AM

I'm feeling bogged down because I've been put in charge of organizing a few events that involve other schools and it's these extra duties (mostly logistical/organizing paper work and forms from other schools attending the event) that are getting me down. I'm left with working on all that crap after my full teaching load.

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Nov 15, 2017 at 6:39 AM

I think we need more (shorter) breaks during the year so we don't get worn out.

nstructor, Backroads and linswin23 like this.
  9. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Nov 15, 2017 at 5:19 PM

I totally agree. I'd even be keen to work at a year-round school where you have the schedule of four weeks on and two weeks off (something like that).

10. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Nov 15, 2017 at 8:27 PM

Maybe it's the time of year, maybe it's all the additional time my district asks for without compensating at full amount, maybe it's me wondering if I'm teaching my students anything, or the little tiny things my principal (probably district) seems to put above the actual education of our students, but yeah, I'm burnt out. Although today one of my classes SHOCKED me with their amazing creative brilliant writing. I was so pleased that I almost cried! (another sign of needing time to sleep in!)

linswin23 likes this.
  11. miss-m

miss-m Cohort

Nov 16, 2017 at 1:22 PM

This is almost the schedule of my district - kids arrive at 8:40 for breakfast, school day "officially" starts at 9, and we end at 4. Every Wednesday is a short day - kids leave at 2:00 and teachers have PD/plan time (because no one really pays attention in PD). It breaks up the week so nicely that I can't imagine having 5 full days of school every week.
    (Ok, I say "my district" even though technically I'm not back there yet. But it's going to happen soon so whatever.)

The only monotony I had last year was with the extra stuff required of teaching - PD that is minimally applicable to the week or adds more work to do, testing... that kind of stuff. I never felt like my class was monotonous though, because every day has new things to do. Behavior problems are different; I got tired of dealing with the exact same behavior issues every day all year because of stubborn kids. But the actual day to day stuff never felt boring to me.

linswin23 likes this.
  12. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Nov 16, 2017 at 5:01 PM

Ooooo I'm jealous of your schedule!

nstructor likes this.
  13. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Nov 16, 2017 at 5:07 PM

I think that's my problem right now, and maybe it also has to deal with my personal life, too. I'm finishing up my master's degree (done in three weeks), so I go home and basically have to work on stuff until 9pm. I'm going to work in the dark and when I get home it's almost dark. I feel like a vampire.

I feel burned out as well now that I think about it, but not because of the kids or the teaching aspect. I'm burned out because I also feel like I'm not compensated for the amount of time and my soul I put into this job. I also am tired of having to tiptoe around certain admin and the drama that is rampant at my school.

14. Been There

Been There Rookie

Nov 17, 2017 at 3:36 AM

I curious to know why you were chosen for these extra duties, especially with an already full teaching load. Doesn't the P have time to organize the events or can't it be assigned to someone who is not a teacher?