Daily adjunct courses

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Pi-R-Squared, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jul 10, 2013

Man oh man.... the 2 courses available for adjunct will prevent me from subbing any day because one of them is MWF and the other is TR. If I only take one, I guess it would be the TR slot which would allow me to sub on MWF days. I don't want to give up too soon, but, I don't know my chances of landing a full-time job.... It's hard to decide... Any advice? :(

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2013

How much does the adjunct position pay? How much does subbing pay?

4. mathteacher2

mathteacher2 Rookie

Jul 10, 2013

I also think you should look at what each pays. Personally, I think each district differs as to how they view subs. There was a young woman in my old district who was teaching the first 1/3 of the year as a leave replacement. Subbed ALL year long, quite regularly in our district. At the end of the year there were TWO openings she interviewed for, neither of which she received. She was also subbing quite regularly in another district close to her home, interviewed again for two positions there, and had great recommendations from her coworkers she got to know through subbing. Didn't get either of those.

Subbing doesn't necessarily guarantee anything. Others may completely disagree and have different, more positive stories to share. Just my :2cents:

5. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jul 10, 2013

Pay is pittance for both. $1800 per course at the university... Subbing varies.... Most likely about $60-$70 a day, I think.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2013

$1800 per course. How long is each course, 15 weeks or so? That's $120 per WEEK. You'd make way more subbing, even if you only subbed three days per week.

7. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jul 10, 2013

That $120 a week to teach 2.5 hours + 1 office hour makes it a $34/hour job though. :) But, I do get what you are saying. The adjunct and subbing combo would be better than nothing but less than perfect....

The part that brings up the dilemma is that although the college gig won't help much in terms of landing K-12, it is at least guaranteed pocket change if I wanted.

My wife is very patient with me in that, if subbing is better, then she would fully support what I do. My salary would definitely help whatever I earn but it won't kill us horribly if I didn't get a full-time job this year.

8. mathteacher2

mathteacher2 Rookie

Jul 10, 2013

I personally would go for one adjunct (T,R if possible) and try to sub the other days. That way you have the guaranteed pocket change, but still the option to sub. The thing with subbing is it would make more if you were called to sub every single day. But what if they only called you once that week? Then the adjunct would be making you more. And as you said, less money per week, but more money per hour based on the time you have to put in.

9. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jul 10, 2013

Yes, the pay for adjunct on an hourly rate is good. That does not include grading quizzes and homework but it's still good. The subbing is not guaranteed by any means so they might call me never....I still don't know what to do! :(:eek:

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2013

Subbing will give you contacts in the district. It may or may not lead to a job, but it's certainly a better chance with those contacts.

11. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Jul 10, 2013

I think the combo of both - adjunct and subbing would be best. When I was a sub, I always had another part time job and would be available for subbing around 3 days a week. It's good to know you have at least some guarantee of money but can still sub. As others have said, subbing can go either way depending on the district. I know of several subs who were regularly subbing in a specific district for YEARS and were very loyal to that district and never got hired. However, I also know of several people who have gotten jobs by being subs. In my last district, a girl subbed there for 2 years and was just hired this past June for a full time position for next year.

12. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Jul 10, 2013

I got my job through subbing too! :) But before that - I was subbing in like 6 different districts (trying to get called every day, didn't work cuz would get called by like 3 schools on the same day and then no schools the next! :p) But because I was on the sub list, one of the districts gave me a call asking if I could be an aid for the rest of the year for a kid who had just moved to the district. Finished the school year doing that and then I moved to the big city, and because there were so many schools in the district, I got called everyday. From that I was hired as an aid again, and then the school that I was an aid at...the music teacher retired! And there I was all fresh and ready to fill in :) So that's a subbing success story, I do think it's worth it to squeeze it in there somehow.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2013

$34 per hour isn't good pay.:2cents: ( I make more than twice that off the books tutoring) with all the prep work, gradng...your hourly wage goes way down. Being an adjunct is a nice 'extra' paycheck, not a main paycheck...we discussed on another thread how being an adjunct might give you experience on your resume but might not necessarily make you competitive for the jobs you are seeking. If you are hard over on the adjunct job, take the TR one so you can sub and get your foot in the door and gain experience for the teaching jobs that could actually lead to the job you want. :2cents:

14. charlottesome

charlottesome Rookie

Jul 10, 2013

I think $34 is excellent hourly pay, especially for someone relatively new to education.

If I were you, I'd take the adjunct position for TR and then sub the rest of the week. Mondays and Fridays are good bets for subbing days!

15. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jul 11, 2013

I may be able to teach 2 classes that will both be MWF. So that would leave TR open for subbing. My main concerns for subbing is actually getting on the roll and actually being called. Won't they call their "reliables" before calling someone new, like me?:eek:

16. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jul 11, 2013

It says you live in Jersey so $34/hr can't pay your mortgage. :lol: Average rate for tutoring where I live is about $20-25 an hour. I would charge at least $25-30 an hour.

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2013

$34 per hour for 7-8 hours a day, five days a week would work...you're not getting that many hours as an adjunct.

18. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jul 15, 2013

With each passing day, it's looking more and more like being an adjunct for 2 classes MWF and being on the sub list for TR might be the better thing to do. Both the state school districts and the college start during the week of August 19. I'd hate to wait too long and lose the two classes but I don't want to commit too early barring a late call from a school. If I wait too long, gone are the 2 classes, maybe no calls, and all I can do is get on a sub list for MTWRF. And I definitely don't want to do that! Need some more advice because my head says take the 2 adjuncts and sub a little. My heart says wait just a little longer.... It's mid-July so I have about a month or less. Help! ;)

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2013

Crunch the numbers...$3600 for two classes (through December? Minus taxes) How much do you think you'll make subbing? Maybe $1000 per month...so if you work on the same schedule for spring, looks like less than $20K for the year... before taxes... I made 20 K in catholic school 14 years ago. Can you make it on this? Might be worth it to build your resume/experience...only you can make that decision.

20. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jul 15, 2013

The money part is not a major factor. We have a family biz that has been keeping us floating for a while. A full-time teaching position would be ideal but is not necessary at this point. It's just that there are many variables to consider such as
    1.) subbing could help get feet in the door,
    2.) adjunct doesn't help getting into K-12 that much,
    3.) jobs are there but I might either have to move or drive a ton,
    4.) having zero K-12 experience versus others who have lots
    5.) subbing isn't guaranteed work
    and.....
    6.) I whine too much! ;)

21. doodle70

doodle70 Companion

Jul 15, 2013

If money's not a factor then I'd sub.