Daily 5

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by knitter63, Oct 3, 2012.

1. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Oct 3, 2012

I've been reading about Daily 5, and of course, there are tons of variations to this method. Could anyone tell me what Daily 5 looks like in their 5th grade classroom? We are supposed to implement it next year, but I'd like to know more about it right now. Thanks!:)

3. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Oct 3, 2012

I can't speak about my own fifth grade classroom, but I was at a Sisters workshop this summer, and they discussed some things they have tweaked since the book was published. In intermediate, they have two rounds. Most students do Read to Self and Work on Writing for 30-40 minutes. Word Work is done for about 10 minutes at the beginning of the writing round, and not necessarily every day. Students who need more support may at times do Listen to Reading or Read to Someone during all or part of Read to Self.

Another thing they mentioned that I never thought of before was that when you pull your small groups, it is okay to send them off with a task to complete based on what you just did instead of sending them back to their Daily choice. (For some reason, that just never occurred to me!)

4. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Oct 3, 2012

Thanks, this makes sense. We still have to do Reading Street, and we still must meet with daily small groups, but it usually to reinforce the Reading Street skill.
    I was concerned about implementing both Daily 5 and Reading Street simultaneously. To me, it just does not seem possible to do both in a 90 minute reading block.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 3, 2012

That is very similar to how it worked with my sixth graders. Basically, we started our literacy block with a mini lesson. I usually did my writing mini lesson first. Then the students could choose to read to self or work on writing. During the week, I would vary my writing mini lessons. Somedays I would focus on spelling and a writing trait. Other days I would focus on grammar and a writing trait.

After about 30 minutes, we would come back to the group and I would have a reading mini lesson that I coupled with read aloud. Then the students would take part in read to self or work on writing, whichever they hadn't done yet.

In their writing folders, I kept a word work section that they had choices of activities to complete when they needed a break from writing. They had the option to choose these activities for part of their writing time twice a week.

In their reading folders, I included some fluency passages that they could read to a read for part of their read to self time once a week. I also included some vocabulary work that they could choose one other day a week.

As part of read to self, there were times when we completed class novels or book groups. So instead of reading to self two to three times a week, the students would read to someone or read with a book group. By setting up the daily 5, it actually made book groups a lot easier to run because the students knew the routine and this was something fun for them.

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 3, 2012

We had to use the Treasures Program. One thing that our administration did cave in on was the story choice. We taught the same concepts but the students could choose any stories to practice the concept. So I could model the concept with a novel or short story/article and then the students could practice.

One thing to keep in mind, some weeks we required the students to read nonfiction. The skill that was taught that week really only worked with nonfiction.

Another idea that I have used was to rotate the listen to reading center and have the students listen to the main selection story for the week. Or they could read to someone the main selection story. I was choosing their reading, but they got a choice of reading to someone or listening.

7. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Oct 3, 2012

It seems as though for this to work in our district, the admin will have to allow us to forgo RS-at least the story type-and allow us to use our own stories, as well as the kids.

8. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 3, 2012

knitter---I would definitely ask for that! Hopefully they will allow it!