Daily 5 or Literacy Work Stations

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Mrs. Mom, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Jul 31, 2011

I wanted to do Daily 5 last year but for numerous reasons, I didn't. I have been really excited reading Diller's Literacy Stations and have gotten myself pretty psyched up to incorporate them this year. However, after reading a post AGAIN about Daily 5, I dug my books out and started rereading.

NOW I AM SO CONFUSED!!!:dizzy: I am remembering why I wanted to do Daily 5 so badly last year!!

I realize I have to teach in a style that is "doable" for me. I think I could be successful with modified approaches to either teaching "technique" or whatever you want to call it. I am just wondering if one or the other is better for a third grade class???? Please give me your opinions!

3. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 31, 2011

Could you not incorporate the literacy stations into part of your Daily 5 program? I haven't read Diller's book, but my students do a lot of file folder activities/learning centers as part of their "word work" during my Daily 5.

4. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 31, 2011

I think arguments could be made both ways, Mrs. Mom. If I am able to teach 3rd this year, I plan to use a combination.

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Phenom

Jul 31, 2011

I have used a hybrid of the two. Take what you like from both and combine them.

I can't say I totally use one program or another. I've taken all I've read and worked with to make my classroom mine.

6. kacieann

kacieann Companion

Jul 31, 2011

I taught 3rd last year and used a combination of both in my classroom.

7. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Jul 31, 2011

I'm glad that several of you are combining methods! I think that is what I will do...once I can figure out exactly what parts of each I want to do! Thanks!

8. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2011

The nice thing about daily 5 vs stations is there is less teacher prep work to make the stations each week. I use more of a daily 5 approach and add in a station or two throughout the year when my students are interested in something. One year, the students wanted to make a class newspaper---so we had a newspaper station. Another year, the class was really into poetry---so we had a poetry station.