Cushions for ADHD Students?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teach'ntx, Aug 25, 2011.

1. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2011

For a child with attention difficulties, having a stress ball (or another sensory object) may be the only way they can pay attention.

2. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Aug 28, 2011

Exactly. :yeahthat: It is not that we are randomly rewarding off-task behavior, these tools these children need in order to do their work.

3. traveler

traveler Comrade

Aug 28, 2011

I had a student last year in the same situation. We tried everything. Most things worked for only a little while. Be prepared to continuously rotate different "tools". The best thing for my student was to carry heavy things to the office. It grounded him. But you can't always have a kid running around with heavy things. We also tried the seat cushion, the band around the legs of the chair, balls to squeeze and more. He needed his tool to change regularly. Unfortunately there is no easy fix. Hang in there and keep trying to find ways to help him.

4. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Aug 28, 2011

As a mom of 3, one with ADHD and 2 with no IEP's I can say that the balance ball has totally worked at home for getting work done. After a day of school it was all I could do to get the homework done! I would love to see a full room outfitted with the ball because as fitness instructors will tell you event the regular children would gain valuable minute of core strengthening work by busing the balls. In many cases I have seen my son misbehave MORE when he knows he can get a fidget...even if it is in controlled circumstances by experienced teachers with SpEd work behind them. I have also seen my other two treated badly when the children outside assume they too will get special treatment that their "Mooooommmmy" says will help. I have lived both sides, at the same time.

I am personally most in favor of the post that suggested that a whole room be outfitted with the balls.....childhood obesity is important as well, is it not.

5. cindy lou

cindy lou Rookie

Aug 29, 2011

accomodations

Couldn't the students complain that any accomodation we make for the success of a needy student is unfair?

Why does Johnny get to have his tests read to him?
    Why does Suzie only have to do 10 math problems?
    Why does Frankie get to work on his project in the resource room?

As long as you have prepared a way to explain these issues when they come up (and believe in the explanation) the kids will get it.

My responses are:
    Fair means everyone gets what they need to succeed, and not everybody needs the same thing.
    We all have different talents and challenges. I am here to help everyone improve their talents and overcome their challenges.

BTW-I have a balance ball in my classroom that is usually used as a reward, but I imagine it would be really helpful for this kind of situation. It cost about $10 at Walmart. I make one rule-No "air time." Your tush must stay planted on the ball at all times!:lol:

6. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 29, 2011

"I want to sit there" is something I hear at circle time quite a bit.

I have a few cube chairs that I allow particular children to sit in because it helps them to sit on the carpet. Without that defined space, these particular kids would be rolling around and/or laying on the carpet. That's far more distracting for the other students (and more difficult for them to pay attention) than allowing certain students to sit in cube chairs.

My other kids want to sit in chairs, too. Right now, I have enough cube chairs to accomodate, but won't soon. Today, when the child was out of the room, I explained to them that he's still learning how to sit the right way on the carpet. I know that they already know how, and do a GREAT job. SO I played it up as a priviledge to get to sit on the carpet.

We'll see if it helps tomorrow.

7. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

Aug 29, 2011

Thanks everyone!!
    I wish I could get everyone balance balls, but that is not possible right now. Plus, I am not sure how he would respond. The Speech Therapist says he is more interested in that than his work. I will need to alternate the tools to keep him focused as the ball is already losing some of the ability.