Currently teaching, applying to other school district questions

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by macarthur4, Dec 9, 2012.

1. macarthur4

macarthur4 New Member

Dec 9, 2012

I am currently in my first year teaching at a HS. I am looking to teach elsewhere for a number of reasons. When applying online to other school districts- I am not sure what to do with my references, since I do not want my supervisor and co-workers to know that I am applying elsewhere. What do you suggest?

Thanks for your help!

3. kellyr

kellyr Rookie

Dec 10, 2012

I'm in the exact same boat....

4. FT2012

FT2012 Rookie

Dec 10, 2012

I'm in the same boat too.

I moved to a new state and took the first job I could get out of necessity. Now, I realize it was a horrible fit and my commute is an hour in both directions. I want to move to a school closer to home and one down the street (I'm talking 7 minutes!) has an opening. I just don't know how to address a change in the middle of the school year.

5. RobertTexasMath

RobertTexasMath Rookie

Dec 28, 2012

No easy answer but at some point, a school that is considering you will contact your supervisor. Should that be the first time your supervisor has any hint that you were looking?

I enjoy teaching where I teach but it is far from my first choice. Last year I did let my supervisor know I applied to other schools. I'm still there. It hasn't been an issue. He knows I like teaching there and that I do the best job I am capable of.