CSET Subtest 3 Failure

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by love2teachsped, Jul 5, 2017.

1. love2teachsped

love2teachsped New Member

Jul 5, 2017

Hello,

This is my first time posting. This page seems like a bit of an oasis. I'm really depressed... I've taken the Subtest 3 five times and have failed. I continue to fail in the human development and art appreciation sections. I've studied the Cliff Notes CSET guide until I'm black and blue, stayed up hours, used quizlet on my phone to study throughout the day, but the moment the test comes, NONE of what I read in the book is shown on the test.

I received a call from the district right now informing me that my contract has been terminated until I pass this test. I can't take it until July 22nd, which means results won't be in until mid-August. I will not be starting the new school year.

I've been working with my district as a classified employee, then got my BA, and have been on emergency permit as I try to pass this final subtest. I've never been in this position where I feel like I've been totally dropped. I don't know if my emotions are getting the best of me, but I'm so depressed, feel alone, I feel like a complete failure, and so embarrassed. I'm a teacher and can't even pass this test. What kind of teacher am I?

I don't know what else I can do. I don't have anywhere to go or anyone to talk to. I'm in a big city, technically without a job now, no family, no spouse around anymore, and I just got the call that ripped my heart. Teaching is what gives me purpose and life each day that I wake up. I live for it, and now I feel like what I live for just got taken away, all because I'm too stupid to pass this test.

Sorry if I seem negative. I have no one to talk to, bills that are pilling up, creditors calling asking for money and now I am without a job and without the one thing that makes me get up each day.

Thanks for reading.

3. d_rose

d_rose Rookie

Jul 5, 2017

Don't give up! I've taken the whole test and failed by 3 points on each subtest so I'm going again July 28 and my district is putting me in the same position as you so I totally get it. Next time you take it, try to not stress, erase all of the negative and don't let it bring you down on test day! As far as your work situation, I know that's stressful for sure. I'm not sure if your school you are getting your credential from has student teaching, but maybe do that and have a moonlight job until you pass it and apply at another district. It is possible to be hired mid year as an intern for a teaching position. Don't give up and don't let this setback direct the rest of your career! You got this!

4. love2teachsped

love2teachsped New Member

Jul 5, 2017

Thanks for your encouragement. It feels good to know that I'm not alone.

5. d_rose

d_rose Rookie

Jul 5, 2017

You definitely are not alone! Talk to your district about the STIP program. It allows you to still teach while you work on your tests. I just learned about it like 10 min ago

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 7, 2017

Hugs, d_rose. You're in a difficult position.

Not passing a test or subtest doesn't mean one is stupid. It can mean that one is not quite comfortable enough with the subject matter to be able to play around with it and fake answers one doesn't know cold based on the fundamentals that one does know. It can also mean that one hasn't acquired some knacks of test taking (including the knack of not branding oneself a bad test taker).

What diagnostics are you seeing on Subtest III (that is, distribution of plus marks and letters or checkmarks)? Are they consistent from test date to test date, or do they vary?

7. JBrand29

JBrand29 Rookie

Jul 8, 2017

I feel your pain more than you know!! I've failed 1 and 2 3x and I totally get the embarrassment and failure you're feeling. I wish I had the answers, but unfortunately, I'm in the same boat!!

8. teachervero

teachervero Rookie

Nov 14, 2017 at 11:51 PM

I feel all alone in this and now come to find out that there is ppl like me out there. I can't seem to pass the cset either. I will be taking subtest 2 this Saturday. Ive taken it multiple times and fail.