Cset study methods????

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by Lgonz79, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Lgonz79

Lgonz79 Rookie

Mar 10, 2018

Taking cset Subtest 2 and 3 soon, been so many years since I have had to study, need help in determining best study method for cset? Are making note cards better, studying practice tests better or just reading through everything with notes best? I have the cliff notes study guide just having a hard time getting started, help???

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 10, 2018

What's best depends largely on what's best for the individual test taker. There's no such thing as the one right approach for everyone. If Cliffs isn't working for you, that isn't necessarily a shortcoming on your part.

For the most part, CSET exams aren't about regurgitating definitions one has memorized. Instead, they're about figuring out an answer based on one's knowledge of the terminology and principles of the domain (= subject area).

What content in each subtest has you most concerned?

Been There likes this.
  4. Jayme Robertson

Jayme Robertson New Member

Mar 12, 2018

I have read a ton of great information about teacherstestprep I was debating on paying for their 2 week study guides which are a ton of you tube videos. Its either that or the cliff notes book. Any advice either way?

5. Lgonz79

Lgonz79 Rookie

Mar 23, 2018

Not really to concerned with Subtest 3 more more about math in Subtest 2!

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 23, 2018

Did you take CBEST? If so, how did you fare with the math?

7. Lgonz79

Lgonz79 Rookie

Mar 24, 2018

Yes I did I took the cbest well over 15 years ago! On the cset Subtest three I passed it over 10 years ago on the 3rd try, I have to retake and try to pass on first try since I am on a time limit, that’s the scary part!

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 24, 2018

If you had enough math at one point to get through CBEST, you can get it back; you'll just have to do some work. Try working through the short math videos on Khan Academy, www.khanacademy.org, up through prealgebra or Algebra 1. If Khan isn't to your liking, you might prefer the less flashy and video-y Math is Fun, www.mathsisfun.com. In either case, start with math you know and work up.

What makes CSET-MS math challenging is less the math skills required per se - most of them show up on CBEST, actually - but the tendency of questions to draw on skills from several different domains of math at once. If you can get in the habit of breaking a question down into its component skills, it's likely to help.