CSET Social Science Substest 1. Scored 219

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by Ryan Anderson, May 8, 2016.

1. Ryan Anderson

Ryan Anderson Rookie

May 8, 2016

I have two questions.

First, I have read most posts about re-submitting your CSET for a score verification and it seems that basically none have ever been overturned. Does anyone have a success story? Or after submitting for a rescore verification did you receive more detailed feedback as to what could have been improved? (I ask that because the +, ++, +++, ++++ system could be the most ambiguous and useless form of assessment ever! Disappointing especially when dealing with teaching).

Second, assuming I get the same feedback I have read so far of "don't bother submitting for a restore verification", what would you suggest I use to progress in my studying? I have passed both of the other CSET for Social Science and am struggling badly with Subtest 1, I currently have a CSET study book, borrowed world history books from the high school, watch Crash Course and Khan academy videos, and signed up for a test prep website. Any additional help would be great!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 8, 2016

What are you seeing on page 2 of your score report? That chart of diagnostics contains more information than is apparent at first glance.

4. Ryan Anderson

Ryan Anderson Rookie

May 9, 2016

multiple choice. World history +++ world geography +. Constructed response world history section 1 p,s section 2 s, and world geography section 3 check mark. For overall marks of +++ in multiple choice and + in constructed response also I have gotten 2 checks before in my constructed responses and still only got 1 +, how does that make sense? And I am aware what each of those letters stands for I just think it's silly. What have I lacked purpose in? How much more support did I need to provide in the 350 or 125 word cap, etc.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 9, 2016

The diagnostics represent a best guess as to what it was that induced the scorers to assign a response a given number of points. Checkmark doesn't mean you aced the question: it means that you didn't embarrass yourself in major ways as regards p, k, s, or d - and, yes, it is possible to write a response that isn't awful in p, k, or s and nevertheless merits only one point.

p, for the record, is awarded for an answer that doesn't meet the charge of the question. Choosing an event or movement outside the timeframe of the question is a relatively obvious example (though not one that will doom the response, if it is well argued otherwise). Less obvious examples include failing to deal with all parts of the question and providing interpretation where the question specifies analysis.

Depending on how the question is framed, s can mean either that one is not explaining one's reasoning or that one is not supplying the additional details that show a good grasp of the event or movement one is describing or analyzing. If you think you don't have room for more support, you're probably overwriting. This isn't CBEST: you don't need an introduction or a conclusion or pretty prose.

If you're consistently getting less than +++ in geography for multiple choice or constructed response or both, then let me suggest getting hold of of a good historical atlas - DK's Atlas of World History comes to mind, and a used copy should suit your purposes - and use it in conjunction with your other sources. You may also need to study up on just what geography includes; either the state content standards in social science or the state framework or both (and both can be downloaded for free from www.cde.ca.gov) will have a glossary that's a good starting point for some exercise with Wikipedia.

6. Ryan Anderson

Ryan Anderson Rookie

May 9, 2016

I appreciate all the information that was given! It helps dramatically just to have those examples given and expounded upon for p, s. As for the geography portion that is actually the lowest score I have ever gotten, usually that is a strong area and I get +++ or ++++ but since there are only 4 questions on world geography I decided to save study time there and focus 100% on world history, needless to say I really could have used another 1 or 2 of those correct and maybe I would have passed.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 9, 2016

Feeling a bit better, then? Good.

For whom do you think you're writing?

8. Ryan Anderson

Ryan Anderson Rookie

May 9, 2016

Well I feel better about it yes but I still think the system is a poor assessment. If I receive a check, which means I meet minimum requirements, on over half you'd think that means I would get at least 2 ++.

What do you mean by whom do you think you're writing? Like who am I writing the responses too? If so, I write them as if I am writing them to a professional who knows everything about the prompt that has been given and is determining my knowledge of said prompt.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 9, 2016

Yes, "To whom do you think you're writing?" can be recast as your "like who am I writing the responses too?"

For CSET, your audience is current teachers of world history who want to know whether you're ready to be one of them. They're looking for accuracy, but also for succinctness - more or less the antithesis of the snow-the-professor style that gets most students through their undergrad years.

10. bbelton60

bbelton60 Rookie

May 11, 2016

I had the same thing happen. I applied for a verification and it was rejected. Bucked up and studied harder and passed it the next time...

Chris Williams likes this.
  11. Ryan Anderson

Ryan Anderson Rookie

Jul 7, 2016

Thought I would let people know that I received my rescore verification back and they changed my score and I PASSED!! First of anyone I have heard of having it changed! Pretty awesome! It feels great, but sense I had read so many negative reviews of this never working I did study and take it again before receiving my rescore back and I passed that one too!! So now I have passed it twice just for good measure! Or wasted either $50 for doing the rescore or $100 for being impatient and not waiting for the results back. Either way I'm stoked!

futuremathsprof likes this.
  12. Jen19

Jen19 Guest

Jan 17, 2017

Ryan, I got a 219 on BOTH US and World and it's killing me. I got ++ for the overall constructed response section. and +++ for the overall Multiple Choice section. I'm really debating sending in for rescore verification on at least one of them. What are your thoughts...are you still the only one you've heard of having the score changed? Thanks!

13. hallievan

hallievan Rookie

Feb 28, 2017

That's horrible, Jen! Any luck?

14. annemic

annemic Guest

Jul 1, 2017

I also do not know how to make sense of these scores.

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 3, 2017

What are your scores, and what diagnostics are you seeing?

16. Angie13

Angie13 Rookie

Mar 7, 2018

Ryan, did u have a 219 and request rescore?