CSET Science Subtest IV

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by studentfirst, Dec 6, 2017.

1. studentfirst

studentfirst New Member

Dec 6, 2017

I was looking at the CSET Test Guide for all the science subtests and saw that there is a Subtest IV for each subject as well. I do not see this option when signing up for the CSET (I'm signed up for I and II - Life Sciences), so I'm confused as to what they are and how to even take them if they're necessary.

I'm applying to teaching credential programs and finding out there's another subtest freaked me out, because I have to have all of my CSET tests done by basically this year to be considered for my programs. If there's another science subtest, I don't really know what to do?

And since we're on the topic of these subtests, I'll be taking mine soon and would love to hear any tips about the science CSET tests.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 6, 2017

No: there WAS a Subtest IV, and it isn't your problem: the biology Subtest IV, to take one example, was for someone who intended to teach biology and only biology but never any kind of general science. What you need is the current Subtest I, which combines the old general science Subtests I and II, and the new Subtest II that focuses on biology, and the two tests will qualify you for biology plus general science.

As for tips, start by looking around for older threads here on A to Z. The content of CSET Science has changed a bit, but not much.

studentfirst and futuremathsprof like this.
  4. studentfirst

studentfirst New Member

Dec 6, 2017

That's so interesting because Subtest IV was listed on the 2017 PDF I was looking at, which is why I was so confused. They even listed the number of questions on it along with Subtest I and II. No idea why they did that without further elaboration that it was no longer a test.

Thank you!

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 7, 2017

Subtest IV is still listed because it's still possible to apply for the Science (Specialized) Credential on the strength of having passed Subtests III and IV, but Subtest IV is no longer being offered. I'll hazard a guess that text from an earlier version of the webpage got ported over to the new one without getting as thorough an update as it should have.