CSET Physical Education

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by trickychip, Jun 8, 2006.

1. trickychip

trickychip New Member

Jun 8, 2006

Is there anybody out there who has taken and passed the subtests and are willing to divulge their literature resources and/or study methods? To make a long story short, Im interested in teaching this subject with a Behavioral Science degree and a prior career in law enforcement; therefore, Im essentially starting from the ground floor. In the spirit of the board, I promise to return the favor by helping other aspiring teachers overcome the "CSET hurdle". Any and all viable information is appreciated. Many thanks. :)

3. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jun 8, 2006

Welcome aboard! Good to see another career changer going into K12 education. There have been a couple other posts recently by folks looking for help tackling CSET PE. There should be enough mass here to get something going.

I am going for a credential in another subject, but I can give you a start on how to prepare for any CSET. First, if you haven't already done so, download and review the Subtest Descriptions for CSET PE. The same information is in the Subject Matter Requirements. But the Subtest Descriptions break it down by subtest. They tell you what areas can show up on each subtest. Second, get a copy of and review any referenced standards. In you case, they will be things like Challenge Standards for Student Success: Physical Education, Kindergarten Through High School (1998) and and Physical Education Teacher Preparation in California: Standards of Quality and Effectiveness for Subject Matter Programs. They will amplify just what it is you might be tested on, and in the case of PE, might have actual information that will be on the exam. If a subject isn't in the Subject Matter Description or the referenced documents, it won't be on the test. Check the General Information document for books which the test makers consider useful for preparation. There are bound to be lots of others, and hopefully someone who has gone this route before will chime in.

I strongly suggest that you use the Subtest Descsriptions and reference documents to build an outline of the material on the test and then fill it in with the appropriate detail. Doing this makes sure you cover all the bases and provides a great tool for review during the days before the test.

FWIW you'll also have to pass CBEST, and possibly a a test on the U.S. Constitution if you didn't graduate from CSU and don't have an appropriate college class on the Constitution. I'll bet you won't have a problem passing the DOJ and FBI background checks, though.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 8, 2006

Malcolm's pretty well covered the bases. Do pay attention to the documents in the Test Guides that explain the format of your particular subtests: you've got a couple of exercises there that involve watching video.

For resources, try these:

Physical Education Model Content Standards for California Public Schools, draft edition (California Dept. of Education, 2004); download as pdf from the California Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance, http://www.cahperd.org/

Physical Education Framework for California Public Schools, Kindergarten through Grade 12. (California Department of Education, 1994, http://www.cde.ca.gov/re/pn/fd/). There might now be a revised version.

Children Moving: A Reflective Approach to Teaching Physical Education by George Graham, Shirley Ann Holt-Hale, and Melissa Parker (WCB/McGraw-Hill, 2001).

PE Central, http://www.pecentral.org/. This Web site bills itself as “the Premier Web Site for Health and Physical Educators,” and it just might be right.

5. arspring99

arspring99 New Member

Nov 18, 2007

I'm looking in to taking the PE CSET as I teach Health right now and really want to transition to PE as well. Please let me know if there are any additional books or websites! THANK YOU! TeacherGroupie- can you email me?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2007
  6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 18, 2007

Please let's not post email addresses, all: the Web is full of spam-bots waiting to scoop 'em up and saturate your in box with solicitations for everything up to and including - wait, I better not say that here.

7. jst81161

jst81161 Rookie

Aug 13, 2008

Was wondering if anyone here has used or know if anyone has used the website http://www.teachingsolutions.org/csetexam.html for the CSET single subject physical education exam?

-I have used looked at the website regarding the standards for physical education. I was wondering what particular information should I look for on the test. I am looking for a tutor to help me possibly with the CSET single subject physical education exam. I will pay for their services. If anyone could get back to me please let me know.
    jst81161

8. napoli

napoli Rookie

Mar 1, 2010

CSET pe

Hello everybody, I just passed subtest I, and II. I need help with subtest III, please help!!!!!!!!!

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 1, 2010

Congratulations, napoli!

What is it about Subtest III that has you concerned?

10. napoli

napoli Rookie

Mar 3, 2010

Especially the contructed responce, I can't figure out when a student belong to a beginner, intermadiate or advanced level of proficiency!!!! and even with the multiple choices, I don't think I have enough material to study with!!!
    Please if you have any suggestions contact me!
    Thank you very much,
    Napoli

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 30, 2010

13. GymGal

GymGal New Member

Mar 30, 2010

Hi Napoli,

I'm taking all 3 tests in May. Can you tell me which materials you used to pass the first 2 tests? Great job by the way!

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 30, 2010

To be perfectly honest, I haven't taken CSET PE; I'm just fairly good at finding things out.

The link I posted earlier today looks terrific for dealing with the proficiency levels.

15. elder01

elder01 New Member

Apr 14, 2010

im taking the test in may also. I am studying the XAM preparation book...I would like to know how and what to prepare for though..that would be most helpful....

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 14, 2010

Welcome to A to Z, elder01. Have you had a look at the materials on the CSET Web site? Prep books notwithstanding, the subject matter requirements docs on the CSET Web site are the gold standard for the concepts that can and cannot be tested.

I'll also modestly point out the links I posted earlier on this thread: scroll up, and you'll find some serious goodies.

Make sure you know the terminology of the field, and if you haven't checked out the Content Standards and Frameworks docs at http://www.cde.ca.gov/ci/cr/cf/index.asp, please do so. (As a teacher you'll need to know about them anyway.)

17. smessenger

smessenger Rookie

Apr 14, 2010

GymGal, elder01,

Check the other thread on here for help on how to pass the PE CSET. Quick version: I had 8 days to study and have never taken a course in PE in my life (I was a college athlete and did some courses in lifeguarding, but that's the extent of my prep before). I came here, listened to the advice, especially about reading the requirements from the California state site, and took a bunch of practice exams both from the cset site and a cset prep site. When I got a question wrong, or hit one I wasn't sure about, I googled it later for the answer. And I printed out the standards sheet and googled every phrase on there that I didn't know clearly. Eventually I got to where I felt very confident about the multiple choice.

I did not practice the written portion until 2 days before my exam because I dread writing for tests. The link from the saskatoon school district defining Performance Cues helped a ton, and eventually I felt pretty good about my skills in watching and writing performance evaluations.

The tests are EXACTLY the same as you'll find on the CSET site practice section. They just choose from a big pool of question in all the specified areas. If you take the practice exams and drill the written section, just practicing writing out answers using the same exact format they give you in the practice tests, you'll do fine.

Over-prepare so you can relax when it comes time to take it. If I could do it, anyone can. Just put in the time and be thorough. :D

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 14, 2010

smessenger, do me a favor and don't sell yourself short with this "if I could, anyone can" stuff, okay?

But seriously: thanks tremendously for posting these tips, which should be read, marked, learned, and inwardly digested by all takers of all CSET subtests.

Trust me, people, when I say that test takers who put in this kind of effort will find it rewarded.

19. GymGal

GymGal New Member

Apr 14, 2010

Muchos Gracias!

Thank you ALL for your help and information!! I truly appreciate it!
    I had my interview at the University today and I definitely got some funny looks for pursuing a career in Phys. Ed considering my BA was in finance/ecomonics...but that was 7 years ago!

20. smessenger

smessenger Rookie

Apr 15, 2010

I hear you. When I say that if I can, anyone can, I don't mean that I'm so dumb that it's easy. I phrased things poorly. What I mean is that anyone with a good brain who is willing to put in the work has every reason to expect to pass. There are great resources here and online, and the material you need to know does make sense and can be learned quickly, even if you've never studied it before. So the only thing that will prevent you from passing is committing to do the work to get ready.

Practice hard, and the rest is all play. :D

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 15, 2010

'Course, the person who's prepared to notice the similarities among questions at least as much as the differences is going to be at an advantage... I name no names, naturally.