CSET Multiple Subjects Study Tips/Resources

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by ao_, Dec 27, 2016.

1. ao_

ao_ New Member

Dec 27, 2016

Hello!

I know there are many threads on study tips and resources for taking the CSET but I was hoping to get up to date tips and resources. Those who have taken the test this past year and passed or didn't pass, Which study books/guides do you feel actually provided useful information? Which would you recommend and which would you not recommend? Any specific websites? Tips on what will actually be covered in the subtests? Should I be memorizing theorems for the math section?

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 28, 2016

CSET-MS subject matter requirements are issued in one big document or broken down by subtest; the information is the same. Use whichever version you prefer as a checklist, both for what you need to know and for what your resources need to be covering. If you're going to shell out money for a resource, spend some time with it first to make sure (a) it doesn't cover only what you already know and (b) its teaching style doesn't offend your learning style. Bear in mind that the resource that works for someone else may not work for you. Work through the online practice subtests, paying attention not only to the content being tested but to how the questions get at that content: in general, CSET questions are much less about memorization and regurgitation than they are about using principles to work out answers. Do bear in mind also that no single test - and therefore no single practice test - can hope to cover ALL the content that could be tested. If you know the fundamentals of a field, by which I mean the basic principles and enough professional terminology not to look hopeless stupid in conversation with a sympathetic expert, it should be possible for you to reason your way to the answer you don't know cold even if your grasp on specifics is a bit weak.

As for theorems, if you know what they are and what they're for, your math is in pretty decent shape. Plan on combining operations in unexpected ways, though.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 28, 2016

One more thing: Wikipedia is the test taker's friend.

5. Sucheta

Sucheta New Member

Jan 17, 2017

I passed my CSET (Multiple Subjects) recently. I took the tests subset by subset since I feel I can't retain too much information at one go. I used the Cliffs Notes. It's good, but gives you an outline on subject matter. For the Science, History, I read up the 6, 7,8 the grade text books. Maths, I used the Cliffs notes, Khan academy videos which helped a lot. I am a special education teacher so I'd done the child development previously which helped. I was very confused with the dance and music material since I'm from India and was learning the western arts for the first time. But my knowledge in child development helped cover the rest. Yes, Wikipedia is a huge help. Made quite a lot of notes from it.
    In English, one is expected to give many examples in the constructed responses and one has to have good vocabulary.
    When taken separately one has plenty of time to finish the exam and recheck answers.

6. Wonderwoman922

Wonderwoman922 Rookie

Mar 8, 2017

Hi teacher Groupie... I apologize but I am trying to find a thread for the CSET MS SUBTEST 3. I am taking it next week and would like some direction on resources to study. Any guidance or direction would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 9, 2017

For the arts, books or websites aimed at older children can be good resources: you want at least one timeline to help you grasp how one major art movement differs from the ones that precede and the ones that follow, and for visual arts most of the major museums are pretty good. Pay attention to design principles (which transcend all the arts) and elements (which are specific to an art): contrast is a design principle, but timbre is an element of music.

For PE, start with the California state PE content standards (www.cde.ca.gov) and supplement by looking up any term that you don't know cold.

For human development, start with the subtest outline and look up unfamiliar terms in it. The California Department of Education page on child development, http://www.cde.ca.gov/sp/cd/, has links under "Trending in Child Development" (on the right side of the page in my browser, though yours may differ) that might prove useful. You could also find the nearest university or community college that teaches child development and rummage among the books to see if any is useful.

Wonderwoman922 likes this.
  8. Wonderwoman922

Wonderwoman922 Rookie

Mar 9, 2017

Thank you!

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

10. Wonderwoman922

Wonderwoman922 Rookie

Mar 10, 2017

Oh this Is a wonderful link!!!!! Thank you thank you

11. lily20

lily20 Rookie

Mar 11, 2017

Hi Teacher groupie,
    I'm preparing for subset-2 finally. Was not sure if I had to do permutations and combinations for MS subset-2. Also, was interested in knowing about how much of probability should I cover for the same test.
    Thank you in advance,
    lily20

12. Wonderwoman922

Wonderwoman922 Rookie

Mar 11, 2017

hi lily you are welcome to email me and I will guide you :)

lily20 likes this.
  13. Wonderwoman922

Wonderwoman922 Rookie

Mar 11, 2017

saima21 at aol

this is the way I had to write it LOL. I hope you understood how to email me.

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 12, 2017

For CSET-MS purposes, combinations tend to be pretty simple. Suppose we're going to make "sit-upons": the simplest version of a sit-upon is a flat cushion that consists of a stack of paper covered in plastic sheeting that's laced closed with colored string. For the filling we can choose either old newspapers or paper scrounged from someone's dad's recycle bin at work: that's two (2) possibilities. For the plastic-sheeting cover we can choose green or silver or Day-Glo orange: that's three possibilities. For the colored string we can choose blue or yellow or red or black: that's four possibilities. Any color sheeting can be used with any kind of stuffing and any kind of sewing material. How many possible combinations can we make? Multiply together the number in each category: 2 fillings • 3 colors of sheeting • 4 colors of string = 24 distinct combinations. This is a pretty classic combinations problem: nobody cares in which order one chooses the lacing, the outside, and the inside.

Permutation has do to with order, the order in which things can be arranged. Again, for CSET-MS purposes we're dealing with a relatively simple version. If we're displaying the four colors of sit-upon lacing string, we can choose any of the four possibilities to be first, but if we choose black to be first, then just three colors are left to be second, and if we choose blue to be second then just two colors are left to be third, and if we choose yellow to be third then red has to be last. 4 • 3 • 2 • 1 is what mathematicians call 4!; if there were five colors, we'd use 5! (5 • 4 • 3 • 2 • 1); and the general quick formula for possible orders of n things is n!.

lily20 likes this.
  15. d_rose

d_rose Rookie

May 18, 2017

Hi! So I am new to this site... I am taking all 3 subtests in 2 days. I've been studying a lot (usually while I am in class because I am a sub). I am going to take all the tests at once because I want to see the entire test and if luck is on my side, I will pass them all. I am more of a human science kind of person so I know that subtest 3 and most likely 2 wont be as bad at subtest 1. I absolutely suck at history, I am horrible with dates and chronological order stuff. I have been studying a lot for about 2ish months but I still feel so unprepared. I've been using the cliff notes study book but does anyone have any tips for at least the first subtest? I get major test anxiety so thats why I am freaking out now. Does anyone have any insight on the history portion or how I should go about taking this part of it?

lily20 likes this.
  16. rsk

rsk New Member

Jul 6, 2017

Hello, I am new here. I recently passed the CBEST and now going to prepare for CSET. This forum is awesome resource to make a perfect study plan. I highly appreciate if anyone recently appeared/passed the exam can give me some tips or pointers.Thank you!!

lily20 likes this.
  17. lily20

lily20 Rookie

Jul 19, 2017

Hi d_rose,
    I'm lily20. How are you doing? Are you done with your exams yet? Even I'm stuck on the content for history. It seems like never ending. Many have advised me to stick to the cliffsnote. I have been also using - Everything you need to know about by Anne Zeman and Kate Kelly. I hope this helps. Anyways, let me know if you are done and can actually guide me now.
    Thank you,
    Lily20

18. lily20

lily20 Rookie

Jul 19, 2017

Hi rsk,
    I'm lily20. How are you doing? I just finished with my subset-2 and I passed it. I used the cliffsnotes and Everything you need to know about by Anne Zeman and Kate Kelly. I hope this helps.
    All the best:)
    Lily20

19. d_rose

d_rose Rookie

Jul 25, 2017 at 9:31 PM

Hey lily20, I took the tests and got a 210,217,218. I passed the multiple choice, the constructed responses are what got me. I'm taking my second set of tests on Friday. However, i am going to focus on passing subtests 2 and 3 more than 1 because id rather pass 2 of 3 so i would just have to take one subtest instead of the entire thing. Cliffs notes is the best study guide! It has the least amount of error than a lot of others. I highly recommend using the cd in the back and practice taking online exams. I failed to do that and I believe my constructed response and lack of computer testing is what killed me. Also, if you are taking the entire exam DO NOT skip around. its tempting, but I had about 2 min left and saw i left a couple of questions blank. i luckily answered them in time but i dwelled and skipped around a lot. The exam is sort of hard to skip questions and go back because the scrolling is hard to navigate and gets touchy

20. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 26, 2017 at 4:01 PM

Hugs, d_rose. Though the good news is that you've clearly got the chops to pass each of the subtests.

Let me note that one passes or doesn't pass the subtest as a whole - with a strong ++++ performance in multiple choice, one can get away with a much less distinguished performance in constructed response. But tell me what diagnostic indicators (p, k, s, checkmark) you see for your constructed responses.

21. d_rose

d_rose Rookie

Jul 26, 2017 at 10:25 PM

For the constructed response: there were a couple of questions i guessed entirely and had no idea. i just didn't want to leave it blank
    Subtest 1
    1: check mark
    2: k,s
    3: k,s
    4: p,k
    Subtest 2
    1: k
    2: k
    3: p,k
    4: k,s
    Subtest 3
    1: k,s