CSET Multiple Subjects Study Tips/Resources

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by ao_, Dec 27, 2016.

1. ao_

ao_ New Member

Dec 27, 2016

Hello!

I know there are many threads on study tips and resources for taking the CSET but I was hoping to get up to date tips and resources. Those who have taken the test this past year and passed or didn't pass, Which study books/guides do you feel actually provided useful information? Which would you recommend and which would you not recommend? Any specific websites? Tips on what will actually be covered in the subtests? Should I be memorizing theorems for the math section?

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 28, 2016

CSET-MS subject matter requirements are issued in one big document or broken down by subtest; the information is the same. Use whichever version you prefer as a checklist, both for what you need to know and for what your resources need to be covering. If you're going to shell out money for a resource, spend some time with it first to make sure (a) it doesn't cover only what you already know and (b) its teaching style doesn't offend your learning style. Bear in mind that the resource that works for someone else may not work for you. Work through the online practice subtests, paying attention not only to the content being tested but to how the questions get at that content: in general, CSET questions are much less about memorization and regurgitation than they are about using principles to work out answers. Do bear in mind also that no single test - and therefore no single practice test - can hope to cover ALL the content that could be tested. If you know the fundamentals of a field, by which I mean the basic principles and enough professional terminology not to look hopeless stupid in conversation with a sympathetic expert, it should be possible for you to reason your way to the answer you don't know cold even if your grasp on specifics is a bit weak.

As for theorems, if you know what they are and what they're for, your math is in pretty decent shape. Plan on combining operations in unexpected ways, though.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 28, 2016

One more thing: Wikipedia is the test taker's friend.

5. Sucheta

Sucheta New Member

Jan 17, 2017

I passed my CSET (Multiple Subjects) recently. I took the tests subset by subset since I feel I can't retain too much information at one go. I used the Cliffs Notes. It's good, but gives you an outline on subject matter. For the Science, History, I read up the 6, 7,8 the grade text books. Maths, I used the Cliffs notes, Khan academy videos which helped a lot. I am a special education teacher so I'd done the child development previously which helped. I was very confused with the dance and music material since I'm from India and was learning the western arts for the first time. But my knowledge in child development helped cover the rest. Yes, Wikipedia is a huge help. Made quite a lot of notes from it.
    In English, one is expected to give many examples in the constructed responses and one has to have good vocabulary.
    When taken separately one has plenty of time to finish the exam and recheck answers.