CSET Multiple Subjects:I passed, you can pass too

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by bteeple, Apr 19, 2005.

1. bteeple

bteeple New Member

Apr 19, 2005

Ok, so here's the thing. When I first encountered this website all I heard was "I failed" or "This is my 6th time taking the test" etc. I was worried to death about this test. It turned out not to be so bad. I took all three subtests on the same day, and passed them all in my first try. If I can do it, you can do it too. I studied for 6 weeks. The first four were very intense (2-3 hours of studying at least 5 days a week.) But I slacked off during the last two weeks because it was my bday and the following week I had guests in town...so I really only studied for 4 weeks.

I used the Cliffs CSET book as my main outline. This book is as boring as they'll get, but it was a good outline of what to expect.

With this book I used the scholastic books to study the topics in more detail. I also used brainpop.com (For history and science), answers.com, factmonster.com, and socialstudiesforkids.com

Using the cliff's outline, I made my own personal outline complete with pictures (haha, yes I'm an elementary teacher) But the pictures really helped me, and re-writing the outline was much more effective than just reading the Cliff's book. I only rewrote the outlines for the sections I really felt I needed to study more. (For me the history and science.) It took FOREVER for me to rewrite the history section.

Subtest III I studied the least for, hardly at all, in fact.

I also downloaded for $39 an online study guide called ACE the CSET. I would say it was worth the money because it had a lot of the same info as the Cliffs book but in a different format (games, crosswords, flashcards, etc.) So it was a nice break from the traditional study methods. It made it easier to buckle down and study for a longer period of time.

My final words of advice. Try not to focus too much on what other people are saying about the difficulty of the test. I really didn't think it was that bad. I left that day thinking, wow, this was a lot easier than I expected. Rather than wasting time dwelling on the fact that this is supposed to be a hard test, use that time to study. You'll do great! Anyone who wants to know more, feel free to reply to this or email me, I'm always happy to help. Good luck!

Oh yeah,one last thing. The night before the test. Don't study. I know that sounds crazy...but the best thing you can do is relax and get a good night's sleep. Rent a movie, eat some pizza, drink a glass of wine, take a bath, WHATEVER, just do something to relax so that your body is ready to focus in the morning. Also, if you plan on taking all three subtests in one day, take a snack. They will let you take a quick snack and it'll energize you when you start to slow down. Ok...I think that's it! Again, good luck! :D

3. maximum

maximum Rookie

Apr 19, 2005

thanks for your positive note :) I also passed subtest 1 and III on the first time. However science and math I failed again :( I scheduled again for May this will be my fifth try. I have met every single requirement CA has except this final subtest II hopefully this 5th time will work out. Thanks for your positive attitude it means alot!!

4. Squash91

Squash91 Rookie

Apr 19, 2005

To my amazement, I passed on first try too!

Hi CSET folks! I passed all 3 on first try too although I really want to see my full results on paper so that I can believe it! However, unlike the first poster on this thread, I did think it was hard! I left the test completely and totally drained. It was just SO important to me to pass! Fortunately, difficult and impossible aren't always the same thing.

Anyway, I used the Cliff Notes book at first but I really didn't like it. Okay, I hated it! It is very hard for me just to read fact after fact and absorb anything at all. So, I checked out all of the "What Your ____ Grader Needs to Know" books from the library, 3 at at a time. This is where I really was able to get the help I needed because the series is much more reader-friendly. Each grade's book builds upon the prior grades' knowledge and I actually enjoyed reading them. Note: I don't think that these books or the Cliff book have good info about teaching/evaluating reading or spelling!

If you are a parent you may find that some of the child development questions are possible to answer from your own experience with your own children.

As for study practices, my degree is in psychology and I'm really interested in how the mind works. One really good way that I have found to absorb difficult info more easily is to review it right before going to sleep at night. That way my brain processes it while I sleep and it seems to "soak it in" better than at other times of day.

Good luck to you who are taking this exam in the future!

5. rfluterby

rfluterby New Member

Apr 24, 2005

I took Section II and III and passed on my first try. I took the entire time to take them. I had plenty of time, and I took my time. I will go for Section I next.

6. MJEH

MJEH New Member

Apr 26, 2005

I also passed all three subtests in my first try, and I was also pleasantly surprised that it was not as hard as I was expecting.

I was really nervous about taking all three subsections at the same time because everyone told me that it is extremely hard to pass all three sections if they are taken at once. Well, I decided to take them anyway just to see how I would do, not expecting to pass any of them.

After the test I was absolutely sure that I had failed. I couldn't believe how hard it was. On one of the science essay questions, I couldn't even answer. I wrote three sentences about something mildly related, but I never actually addressed the question. It just goes to show you that they are not looking for you to be a genius, they just want to make sure you have some basic knowledge.

I started studying two weeks before. I use the cliff notes test prep. I didn't think it prepared me well for the history or science portion, but the info for subtest III was good, and so was the stuff for math. I studied about one full hour every night.

So don't get discouraged, and I would encourage you, if it is your first time taking the test, just try all three subtests, because you never know, you may not need that much studying. I am so glad I took all three at once because now I don't have to worry about it. :D

7. joeeg

joeeg New Member

May 6, 2005

I just want to add my 2 cents and give encouragement to those who are poor test takers. I have passed tests 1 and 3. Unlike some who posted I took only one test at a time and took about 4 hours each time. I was the last to leave the room for those taking only one test.The tortoise instead of the hare. I studied 3 hours each night for 2 weeks. I thought the tests were difficult and I'm glad I spent those many hours studying. I have the worst test left - science and math. But passing the first two has given me confidence that I can do it.
    Good luck to us all.

8. dajohn

dajohn New Member

Aug 15, 2005

I also passed all three sections. I find it hard to believe! I can't wait to see my official results. Section II was difficult, but I studied using the same books mentioned before by other members. Study, study, study and you will also pass. Thanks to everyone who offered help at this site. If I can help anyone let me know.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 16, 2005

Well done, dajohn! Don't forget to reward yourself!

10. 2stressed

2stressed Rookie

Oct 9, 2005

Hello! Thank you for your encouragement. What suggestions do you have for studying for the essay questions for Cset I and II???

11. 2stressed

2stressed Rookie

Oct 9, 2005

Hello! Thank you for all your encouragement. What suggestions do you have for studying for the essay questions for Cset I and II??? My mind goes blank when it comes to the essay question. I don't know what to study for. Any advice?

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 10, 2005

First, don't call 'em essays, because they're not: they're focused responses or short answers or constructed responses or whatever other term suits you, but not essays in the sense of structured, mechanically correct exercises of the CBEST type. Second, don't get too hung up about specifics: a question about Hmong-speaking children learning English really isn't about Hmong but about languages that aren't as closely related to English as Spanish or French or German are.

13. luisa ann

luisa ann New Member

May 9, 2006

I have been teaching for 20 years and moved to California. I am taking the CSET, Part II, for the 4th time this month. I feel discouraged. I try to use a different practice tactic, along with new materials, for each test date. Any ideas to help me pass?
    Thanks!
    Luisa Ann

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 9, 2006

Take a look at side 2 of your score reports. This shows whether your difficulties are more in multiple choice than in constructed response and more in science than math.

You may need to consider a prep course. Where are you located? Prep classes for the May test date are mostly done, but there might still be some options for you.

15. AspieTeacher

AspieTeacher Comrade

May 10, 2006

This is in response to the teachers taking the Multiple Subjects CSET. If you work with students who are severely disabled and lower functioning than the rest of the typical population, you may have difficulty with the test. I have worked with moderate/severe disabilities for the past six years and I had to refresh my memory because I don't teach academics in my classroom. I almost forgot some of those skills and trust me, I felt this was a difficult test. I'm fortunate that I passed all three sections. I also completed my CLEAR last November as well. It's a great feeling when you know you've completed this test too.

Troy in Downey, Ca
    AspieTeacher

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 10, 2006

Aspie runs to modesty... He possesses, in quantity, a property which is a much better predictor of success on CSET and in the classroom than raw intelligence, and that is the ability to persist in spite of discomfort or even dismay - to keep the rump in the seat, so to speak, and to behave as though one is capable of finding the answer even when one fears one is not.

17. AllanF

AllanF New Member

May 18, 2008

CSET MULTI

Hello, I am new here.

I am starting a MAT program next month and found out this week that they expect me to take and pass the CSET multi by Sept in order that I can begin student-teaching as part of my program in the fall. I am coming from an unrelated field as my bachelor's degree is in Film and Television.

I just got the CLIFF book and have others on order. Is this nuts or what? I have to take the test in July, all 3 parts and pass...

I have no teaching experience but am reasonably intelligent and do have a broad knowledge base...I get a lot of the questions correct on Jeopardy ;-)

Has anyone taken any of the review courses? I have not been in school for twenty years. Is a broad liberal arts background and an average public school education good enough to pass this test? I'm hoping that once my school starts next month, I can get a study group going with some others in my cohort who also need to take this test.

Thanks for the advice and hope to continue to use this site for many years to come.

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 20, 2008

A broad liberal arts background is very helpful with everything but, perhaps, human development and the questions on reading. Forming a study group is a great idea.

19. petit_ecole

petit_ecole Rookie

May 27, 2008

Hi,

Thanks for posting those websites since I have one last exam to study for (subtest 2). Math and Science are my worst subjects mainly because it's been so long ago, but I'm giving myself plenty of time to prep.

Thanks again!

20. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 27, 2008

Play with both, petit_ecole, and look for ways to integrate both into your daily life - science is absolutely everywhere, and it really is fun. Are you anywhere near a hands-on science museum? Let me strongly recommend a field trip, with principles-of-science index cards in hand to annotate.

21. CAfutureTeacher

CAfutureTeacher New Member

Jun 16, 2008

I also took all 3 sections at once... mostly because I had to because CA test administrators only come to Seattle once a year to give the test. I studied for about 5 months prior to the best and mostly used the Cliff Notes CSET Study Guide. I recommend this book because it was extremely helpful and I passed all 3 sections on my first try. Especially since I didn't grow up in California or get a California education, the book helped to fill in the gaps. For example, the CSET history section tests California history as well ancient world history to now and US history. For someone who didn't grow up in CA, having to know the history from before the state's birth (when part of Mexico) to present seemed a little daunting on top of everything else you have to know. But the book goes through it and every other subject.
    Another tip: do the practice tests on CSET's website and in the Cliff Notes book. Then go over your answers. You'll be surprised at how many questions on the real CSET will be the same or similar. When I didn't know a name or event I would goggle it and learn a little about it to be familiar. This proved to help a lot as many of what I googled came up on the actual test. Finally, make flash cards of names or dates or topics that were new to you before studying. Again, much of what I made flash cards of showed up on the test or I wrote about in the essays because I could remember specific names/dates.
    Take a deep breath and study a little each day. You will do fine I'm sure. :)