CSET MS Subtest 2- how I passed

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by SabrinaH, Mar 24, 2017.

1. SabrinaH

SabrinaH Rookie

Mar 24, 2017

Hello fellow teachers!
    I am writing tonight to report I finally passed CSET MS Subtest 2 after multiple tries. I am in absolute shock. It has been a long journey and extremely embarassing and demoralizing that I had to keep re-taking this test. I have my Bachelors and Masters degree and am accomplished in my career so I am not used to failing. I had a lot of other obstacles going on in my life in preparation for this test, so that didn't help either.

With that said, I want to offer advice/help to anyone still struggling with this or any of the CSET tests. I am serious when I say I completely lost ALL HOPE. I had to keep pushing because I really want to teach the kids, it is my passion. So, if I can do it, you can do it definitely!

I passed with +++ in both Science and Math but didn't do so hot on Constructed Response.

Here's how I did it:

1) Cliff Notes CSET Multiple Subjects with CD Rom 3rd edition. Buy this book on Amazon.
    Trust me it's worth it. I have bought ALL of the study guides, trust me on this, and this is the best one. This should not be your only source however, but the questions in this book and on the CD-Rom are pretty much the closest you should get to the real test questions. Learn the content in the text and do the practice tests in the text. Then spend most of your time doing the practice tests on the CD- Rom as they are GOLD. The Constructed Response tests on this CD Rom don't work (they are outdated or something when I contacted Tech support) which is annoying but this book is still worth it. The 4th edition of this book is coming out in May, 2017 so for those of you waiting til late Spring or Summer to take your CSET, it might be worth waiting for the 4th edition as I understand it is better aligned with Common Core.

2) Master the CSET Practice Test on the CTC Website.
    The questions on this practice test are pretty good. Not as close as the Cliffs Notes are to the real thing but you should know this content definitely.

3) Hire a tutor like I did! My recommendation is Linnea Lindquist. Inbox me and I will send you the website as it is not allowing me to post it.. Linnea specifically gives workshops for the CSET in San Diego county. She knows how the tests are designed and how to beat them. She will assess what you know and what you don't know and explain concepts to you in a way you will understand and remember. She understands how the CSET test is designed. She will not give up and will support you no matter what. Even though she is in San Diego County, she can tutor anyone, anywhere online. (I am in Northern California for instance). She tutored me on a Skype-type session once, and then the rest we communicated via email. She did not give up on me and helped me more than anything. She is reasonably priced and completely worth it!

4) Register for a CSET Prep class with the Monterey COE/San Diego COE.
    So this class is very aligned with Common Core and is completely online. You can take a class for one Subtest or all of the Subtests. Its basically a collection of videos and content on the content for your test. However, it is WAY better than anything you will find on YouTube. There are County of Education experts who know whats on the CSET and how it is designed. The videos and content introduced are designed to help you understand and master content on the actual test. Again, this is a completely online class and absolutely worth it. The content in this class is different and more informative than YouTube Videos and reflects exactly what you will see on the test. Go for it!

The combination of these 4 things is what allowed me to pass. I definitely recommend all of them and I wish I did it sooner. Unfortunately, I waited until I failed Subtest 2 multiple times to make the commitment to these 4 resources. But when I used them, they worked!

Good luck! -Sabrina

futuremathsprof and anon55 like this.
  3. SabrinaH

SabrinaH Rookie

Mar 24, 2017

If you want to hire my tutor, Google "Testmaven" and it should come up as testmaven dot com.

Dalia K. likes this.
  4. anon55

anon55 Comrade

Mar 26, 2017

Congrats! I only passed 1 subtest, but I went on to be a single subject teacher. I know how hard that test can be!

5. Brooke B

Brooke B New Member

Apr 27, 2017

Congratulations on passing! I am preparing to take all three subtests in May (taking them each on different days) and I am so nervous about passing. I have the Cliff Notes book and have been reviewing material each night. I feel confident in my abilities but I have read so many mixed reviews saying that this test is super difficult! I am already preparing myself with the idea that I may have to retake it. Does anyone know if you have to pay the same test fee to retake it? Or does it cost just as much? I paid $99 for each test.

Thanks for any help and good luck to you all!

6. SabrinaH

SabrinaH Rookie

Apr 27, 2017

Thank you! Yes, each time you take the test you pay the same test fee. So multiole tries gets pretty expensive. I highly recommend my tutor and that online class in addition to Cliffs notes. It is worth it in the long run.

7. Brooke B

Brooke B New Member

Apr 27, 2017

Ugh! Ok thank you for the information!

8. SabrinaH

SabrinaH Rookie

Apr 27, 2017

Absolutely! I want to save you the trouble I went through taking this test over and over again. I passed Subtests 1 and 3 on my first try with not a whole lot of studying. As a result, it made me "overconfident" and that was not a good thing. The amount of money I spent on repeats of Subtest 2 still makes my stomach boil. My tutor was around $90 and the class with the Monterey/San Diego COE online was like $40 but it both were such an incredible GodSend. It would have been the smarter thing to do for me to swallow these costs after the first time I did not pass it. Instead I waited until there was no other hope and my confidence was completely in the toilet.

I still have to take the RICA and I decided instead of doing it my way that I am going to have my tutor prepare me for this test so I can knock it out and pass it the first time.

9. SabrinaH

SabrinaH Rookie

Apr 27, 2017

If you need any more info feel free to private message me! :)

10. Sara Collins

Sara Collins Rookie

Oct 24, 2017

Can I get the tutor information?

11. teachervero

teachervero Rookie

Nov 14, 2017 at 10:59 PM

Wow! Congrats on passing! Im about to take cset ms subtest 2 and its way to much information to retain. I remember it and couple days later it's a blank! ugh,... Im taking the test this Saturday. Ive studied for months here and there when I can. I have a one year old and a 12 year old, so I'm pretty busy when not working. I bought the Cliff Notes and yes, they are very close to the questions on the real test but I also studied on my own. If I don't pass this time, I will need to hire a tutor and attend some sort of workshop.The price to take these are ridiculous.