CSET MS: Scared of Subtest II

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by Alyssa20, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Alyssa20

Alyssa20 New Member

Sep 1, 2017

Hi everyone...I am scheduled for my math subtest December 2nd (I just started the credential program, and my college offers free tutoring. So I figured I'd take advantage of that).

I'm aware that they recently updated the Subtest II...so do the test prep books still work? Also,which one is the best one? I took subtest III and passed with the Cliffnotes (I felt it was very close with the exam), so will Cliffnotes work well with the new math one too?

Also, how many questions are in the Subtest II? I am very concerned because I am terrible at math (not the best at science either). I barely passed my math CBEST (I got a 37 on my math CBEST, and it was thanks to my high reading and writing scores that I passed). I know the CSETS are MUCH more difficult compared to the CBEST. I just feel extremely anxious. I am giving myself plenty of time to study...but I feel it is so unfair that if I can't pass it, I can't be a teacher. I want to teach kindergarten or 1st grade (I understand that math!), but the CSETS are definitely upper grade level.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 2, 2017

Most of your questions can be answered by searching ctcexams.nesinc.com, but I'll give you the short version.

You might find it helpful to compare the new subtest description with the previous one. Subtest II was updated to reflect California's version of Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS); there's explicit emphasis on teaching about human impacts on the environment and on teaching about literacy in science, so you can expect that some questions will dig into those issues. Science literacy includes vocabulary but also academic language (that is, not just the words of science but how science texts are put together and presented; think about what distinguishes a lab report from a letter). You can find the standards, and materials supporting the standards, on the California Department of Education website, cde.ca.gov.

The number of questions on Subtest II is unchanged: 26 multiple choice questions in science, 26 multiple choice questions in math, two constructed response questions in science, two constructed response questions in math. The math skills themselves aren't (much) harder, but the test taker is expected to be able to apply those skills in somewhat unexpected ways. One passes the subtest as a whole, so a lower score on math can be compensated for by a higher score in science.

With all of that said, you have some work to do in math. Because the multiple subject credential licenses teachers in grades K through 6, there's every likelihood that you'll be called upon to teach in third grade and above during your career. In any case, knowing only the math that suffices for kindergartners and first graders won't serve those children well: your job is to help them get ready for the math that lies ahead of them in the future, and that requires you to have a grasp of that math. You might get good use from DK's book How to Help Your Kids With Math - my local Costco is carrying it in honor of back-to-school season.

4. teachervero

teachervero Rookie

Nov 14, 2017 at 11:28 PM

Did you pass?