CSET Foreign Languages

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by AnnNorCal, Feb 11, 2013.

1. AnnNorCal

AnnNorCal Rookie

Feb 11, 2013

Hello,

I plan on taking the CSET tests for Spanish and possibly French. I am confused on how it works for the portion where they record you speaking. Do they take you out of the room one at a time and record you or does everyone stay in the room and have their own proctor? I'm very confused. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 11, 2013

I believe these tests tend to be given in university language labs, so the chances are you're sitting in a semi-enclosed space, wearing a headset and speaking into a microphone.

4. vivalavida

vivalavida Companion

Feb 20, 2013

I took the CSET for Spanish and was confused as to how it would work as well. Basically, we took all other portions of the test (including all subtests you may be taking that day) in a classroom with the other students. Once you finish everything except for the speaking portion, you go one by one into another classroom where a proctor will record you speaking onto a tape recorder. This was my experience anyway. Hope this helps!

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 20, 2013

Oho, that's how it can be done. Thanks for the heads-up, vivalavida!

6. CaliMaestra

CaliMaestra Rookie

Feb 24, 2013

Yes. This was my experience as well.

Question for vivalavida: did you take subtest V? (bilingual authotization)
    If so, I'd love to ask you a few questions about it....

7. vivalavida

vivalavida Companion

Feb 25, 2013

I didn't, actually. I did the first three subtests only. Sorry!

8. mus51

mus51 New Member

Sep 30, 2013

Spanish CSET

Hello, I will need to take the CSET in January and need help in getting study material. The so-called study guides online seem to not be reliable and turned to A-Z for help. Could someone who has already prepared and passed the Spanish CSET please share with me what books I should purchase to help me study for the linguistics as well as the literature and history? Thank you so much for the help!

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 30, 2013

10. mus51

mus51 New Member

Oct 1, 2013

CSET Prep

Thank you for responding to my inquiry! I so appreciate your welcoming me to "la bodega." I am very excited to be for the first time on a teachers' forum!

You asked me if I know anything about linguistics. Truthfully very little. My major is actually in Music Ed but my foot in the door into every school I have worked in has been my ability to speak Spanish and understand how it works (grammar). I know however that to pass the CSET much more than just knowing the language and how it works is required. That is why I came to this site to look for assistance from people like yourself who clearly have a wealth of information and the willingness to help.

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 1, 2013

How are you at the grammatical TERMINOLOGY of Spanish? If you can name parts of speech and phrases and clause or sentence types, you have a good start on syntax; if you know from prefixes and suffixes and roots, you have a good start on morphology; if you know how the sound system of Spanish differs from the sound system of English, and especially if you know what a phoneme is and isn't, you have a good start on phonology; if you can discuss shades of meaning in either language, you have a start on semantics. Your task in learning about linguistics will be to look for the connections between the terms you believe you don't know and what you do already know of either English or Spanish.

How are you generally as a taker of tests?