CSET ENGLISH Updates

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by Joseph112, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Joseph112

Joseph112 Rookie

Jun 8, 2017

Hello everyone, I am new to this site, and I am still shocked to why I had not found it earlier. I am taking the CSET English I and III a week apart--June 21/28. I bought the REA book, looked at Elmer's study guide, and more. However, I feel, and correct me if I am wrong, that the CSET exams changed over time, meaning that I have seen posts on here where people said the questions, terms, devices, etc, are out of date to where they are not reflected anymore. I am taking both tests, and I honestly do not know what exactly to study for. Can I get an update on the material? Perhaps from someone who has taken the exams recently? What are the things to study for?

Thank you.

3. Rosa Luo

Rosa Luo New Member

Jun 9, 2017

Hi everyone,
    I am also a new member. I desperately need to pass the English subtest 3 by August 28, 2017 to stay in the credential program.
    I am very frustrated by the failure of my CSET English Subtest 3 for the third time!!! I passed the subtests 1,2, and 4 the first time I took. But, I got the subtest 3 score of 193 for the first two times, and 207 for the third time. My score report states that my first essay has k,s,d and second essay has s,d. I feel so stupid and hopeless in trying to figure out what I did wrong and how I can write two well thought out essays within a very short amount of time. I need a tutor or some kind of good preparation class to attend to pass this tremendously difficult test. I live in Fremont in Alameda County, California. Please help!!! Thanks!

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 9, 2017

Rosa Luo, you raised your score 14 points from second attempt to third: well done! The fact that you weren't given p's on your responses is good news, because it means that you fulfilled the "purpose" requirement (which amounts to getting the point of the question). k means that the person who assigned the diagnostic indicators thinks you came up short on knowledge; that's often resolved by ensuring that one is using enough literary terms and academic-language phrasings to sound knowledgeable. Those s's suggest that you weren't supporting your responses with enough evidence and reasoning, and one way to resolve that is to make a point of quoting from the passages with which you're dealing:

TeacherGroupie's use of informal language ("came up short", sentence 3) is intended to reassure apprehensive readers. ​

Joseph111, what has changed the most in CSET English I is that non-literary prose/composition and rhetoric get somewhat more emphasis. The tools of the trade are still the technical terms, however: it's easy for a test taker to believe that those terms aren't being tested because there aren't explicit questions about them, but the correct answer to a constructed response may depend on recognizing the applicability of a given term in a passage.

5. Rosa Luo

Rosa Luo New Member

Jun 9, 2017

6. Rosa Luo

Rosa Luo New Member

Jun 9, 2017

Thanks for your encouragement! Do you know of any tutor, or Is there any tutor who can help me with my essays in order to pass the subtest 3? Do you know of any prep classes? Please.... Thank you!

7. Joseph112

Joseph112 Rookie

Jun 9, 2017

what's going on with subtest 3, it seems impossible to pass?

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 9, 2017

Is Subtest III impossible to pass? No. It's easier to pass, however, if one can mimic the writing style of someone who knows the subject matter. For CSET English Subtest III, scorers are not looking for specific answers so much as they are looking for evidence that the test taker

(a) understands how literary analysis and non-literary analysis work;
    (b) can muster enough of the technical terminology of English grammar, composition/rhetoric, and English literature to, um, pass muster;
    (c) knows what constitutes evidence in support of an analysis and knows how to present that evidence;
    (d) and commands English grammar and mechanics at a level that suggest ability to evaluate and teach students. ​

9. Joseph112

Joseph112 Rookie

Jun 10, 2017

Thanks. I really needed this.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  10. DAH

DAH Rookie

Jun 11, 2017

Rosa Luo,----Try TeachersTestprep.com. This website is based out of southern California, and they do have a video on-demand course for CSET English I, II, III, and IV; I've seen it. They helped me pass the CSET MS math/science sub-test last year, and prepared me well! I passed the second time.
    Good luck

11. David Coles-Perez

David Coles-Perez New Member

Jun 13, 2017

Good afternoon everyone, I'm a first-time member too. I only have to pass the C.S.E.T. English subtest 1. I really thought for sure that I would pass this time around, but I received the "Not Pass" result after my sixth attempt. Another thing that I noticed is that the test is like half-old half new. Do any of you have any suggestions that could help me prepare? I was nineteen points shy of passing. I'm open to any suggestions that you may have. I look forward to your responses. Have a good day.

12. DAH

DAH Rookie

Jun 13, 2017

[QUOTE="David Coles-Perez:

I'm curious why you only have to take subtest 1. Did you already pass 2, 3, and 4? And, just for your information, TeachersTestPrep.com has an excellent online video prep series for the CSET English exam, you may want to try it.
    Thanks for responding

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 14, 2017

Welcome to A to Z, David Coles-Perez. How are you generally as a taker of multiple-choice tests? Do the diagnostic indicators on the second page of your score report suggest that you usually do better on literary/nonliterary analysis than on composition and rhetoric, or vice versa, or does it vary from test date to test date?

14. David Coles-Perez

Jun 14, 2017

To answer your question, I received a result such as the following "++" It does vary from test date to test date. Any further suggests would be most helpful. Thank you.[/QUOTE]

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 15, 2017

[/QUOTE]
    Let me re-ask my first question, then: how are you generally as a taker of multiple-choice tests?

16. David Coles-Perez

Jun 21, 2017

Let me re-ask my first question, then: how are you generally as a taker of multiple-choice tests?[/QUOTE]

On the practice tests, I get good passing scores. Then, I review the ones that I didn't answer correctly. However, on the actual test, the questions that I flag as "unsure" tend to be the ones that I run the risk of answering incorrectly. I save those for last and answer them. I think it also has to do with how confident I am during the actual test itself because it's just me answering the questions as best I can. Sometimes I take a couple of deep breaths so that my concentration doesn't go off-balance. Overthinking gets in way too. I can't always predict what's going to be on the test and what isn't. I'm not giving up, and neither should any of us. The true test of experiencing minor setbacks is how we deal with them. Are there any other strategies that can help me when it comes to answering the 50 multiple-choice questions? I look forward to your responses. Thank you.

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 23, 2017

A good general rule, especially for those who know they overthink, is not to change an answer unless one can identify what one did wrong to reach it.

Let me add that sometimes the correct answer isn't so much the "best" answer as it is the "least worst" answer.

18. Jonda Barraza

Jonda Barraza Rookie

Jul 15, 2017

I, too, have taken this test over and over and cannot pass. I have bought so many prep books and used Teacherstestprep as well and it still didn't matter. I need to pass this test by Sept 1, which means I have ONE more attempt before I delay my program another year.

19. DAH

DAH Rookie

Jul 16, 2017

[QUOTE="Jonda Barraza, [/QUOTE]
    It's unfortunate that California doesn't offer a "middle school" English Language Arts test like many other states. Eventually California split the math category into two test sections which now include a 'Foundational' math test (to be taught on the middle school level only).
    It might be helpful if they would do the same to science and English.

20. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 17, 2017 at 1:54 AM

California didn't "eventually" split the math test; the Foundational-level Math option (Subtests I and II) was among the first of the CSET exams introduced in 2003 - along with Foundational-level Science.

21. DAH

DAH Rookie

Jul 17, 2017 at 3:39 PM

[QUOTE="TeacherGroupie,
    Okay, thank you, TG.