CSET English Subtest I - Help

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by Joseph112, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Joseph112

Joseph112 Rookie

Aug 23, 2017

I recently took subtest I of the English CSET Exam, and failed. I pretty much studied the REA Book, and it was horrible. I looked at Elmer's study notes too. None of the guides, terminologies, or concepts were relevant to the actual exam--let alone useful. And, I mean "nothing" was useful. Not one single term. So, basically I studied the wrong material because the book is inaccurate. Does anyone know any good books, sources, materials, or reviews to tackle the CSET English exam? I just ordered the Cliffnotes Prep book in hoping that it will at least be relevant to the test. I have a BA in English Literature from UCLA if anyone needs a picker-upper, and I still cannot pass.

Please Respond.

TLDR; Failed CSET English exam, looking for new accurate material--preferably from someone who has recently taken the exam and passed.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 25, 2017

How long ago was your BA? How are you generally as a taker of multiple-choice tests?

4. KathCA

KathCA New Member

Sep 7, 2017

I took it in March of this year and passed, but I don't have any great/different recommendations for you. I mainly used the REA book and also took the practice tests on the CTC and Teachers Test Prep sites.

5. DAH

DAH Companion

Sep 8, 2017

Joseph, take a look at TeachersTestPrep.com. They may have what you're looking for.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 9, 2017

If it seems that literary definitions on the lists are irrelevant to questions on a test, it can make sense to adjust one's expectations of the test in question. Lists of terminology necessarily involve definitions, and test review materials necessarily deal in definitions in order to ensure that test takers are at least exposed to those definitions. CSET questions - at least the good ones - don't generally solicit definitions; instead, they probe to see whether a test taker can recognize the phenomenon or apply the reasoning or analytical tool that lies behind the definition. For instance, a CSET English I question won't devote a whole question to poetic meter; instead, it could offer a question for which one of the answer choices mentions meter and its effect on something else in the poem.