CSET English IV Confusion

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by Sarah Tygert, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Sarah Tygert

Sarah Tygert Rookie

Feb 14, 2018

Hi all, been a lurker for some time. Reading and using these forums helped me to pass my English I, so thank you all so much for all you do!

I'm struggling greatly in my studying for the English IV Subtest however. Mainly, in how everyone says to drop these "buzz words," and yet CSET's very own sample test answers don't seem to have any whatsoever.

I assume this is ok to share even if it is a test question because it is public domain, I hope? Can we dissect these? If that is not ok I understand, but I just can't grasp this stuff when examplars either aren't provided at all, or don't match up with the advice I'm getting,and I've failed twice now!

Any other advice is of course greatly appreciated.

My score cards have been marked for all three across the 2 tests, p,k, and s for non-written communication. With checks in the other two. Only once was I marked s for media.

3. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Enthusiast

Feb 14, 2018

I think @TeacherGroupie could best help you with this one. She is a literary genius, well versed on this subject, and one of the most knowledgeable posters on these forums.

And you can speak in generalities about the test, just don’t go into specifics. :D

4. Sarah Tygert

Sarah Tygert Rookie

Feb 14, 2018

I hope so. And I wasn't trying to be specific but... the sample questions are extreme public domain. They're on the CTC website so I was hoping they would at least be ok to discuss. :( I just don't get how they meet the criteria whatsoever.

5. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Enthusiast

Feb 14, 2018

Oh, I misunderstood your question. I thought you were talking about actual test questions. You can talk about the sample questions as much as you want!

6. Sarah Tygert

Sarah Tygert Rookie

Feb 14, 2018

Oh great! It seems linking it isn't allowed, but it's the CTCexams pdf, easily accesible by googling for the CSET english sample question....

The first one for example, which is the subject matter that I've been marked least on, I don't see how that answer addresses subject matter content at all! It doesn't address the type of speaker, nor listener, nor seem to drop any buzz words at all! I just don't get how that is a 3 point response.:(

Heck even the media response, all the response did was use the answer, balance, and seemingly just extrapolate on that. It doesn't seem to show to me any understanding on content knowledge.... I do get now the need to drop a specific example, which I think I fail to do and will be doing next time, but that's about it.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 15, 2018

Welcome to A to Z, Sarah Tygert. Stick around and participate in the Examinations for Teachers forum and elsewhere on the site, and in due course you'll be able to post links.

Addressing the type of speaker and listener would certainly be legitimate in answering the first question - but that would have to be done within the context imposed by the question, which asks that the test taker identify ONE way in which members of an audience can respond to a speech and ONE way in which a speaker can deal with or accommodate that response. It's important to note that these questions tend to be open-ended: for the most part, to a given CSET English IV question there isn't just one correct answer. What makes the answer correct is whether the test taker chooses a possibility that makes sense within the field and fulfills the charge of the question (that's "purpose"), makes the case for that choice with apposite examples and explanation (that's "support"), and does so with argumentation and terminology that suggest familiarity with ELA broadly and with properties of the medium or mode specifically (that's "knowledge").

It's also important to note that, while the CCSS content standards do identify speaking and listening as strands of English/language arts, there is inevitably a high degree of overlap between speaking and listening skills on the one hand and reading and writing skills on the other. That being the case, overlap in terminology is also inevitable: to take an obvious example, it is both common and unproblematic to identify listeners to a speech, readers of a novel, and subscribers to a YouTube channel for silent movies as audiences for their respective media (though I'm sure you'll agree that it is odder to identify the readers and subscribers as "listeners" per se).

futuremathsprof likes this.
  8. Sarah Tygert

Sarah Tygert Rookie

Feb 15, 2018

Thank you Teacher Groupie for that thought out response!

I think I understand. I've been reading what you wrote through a few times, trying to absorb it. This test has been quite frustrating, I left each time thinking I did well. Reading up on the forums and all the advice on other topics around this test has helped a little, this had been the only real remaining question. I thought my only problem was not dropping those buzz words, but I suppose it could be slightly more nuanced than that. :/

Thoughts to share here, perhaps it'll help someone else struggling with this test: I think, from my studying, that I've been answering the questions too much from a pedagogy slant, than from a ELA or communication perspective. When one asks, and without giving a specific test question example, what one would do if....? I answered as a teacher, with teaching practices rather than as an oral communicator.

Hopefully that, and the above advice, will lead to a pass this time around. I'm nesting on the 22nd of February, for my 3rd time around. Last CSET!

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 15, 2018

Yes, the buzzwords to use for most CSETs are definitely the subject-matter buzzwords and not nearly so much the pedagogy buzzwords.

10. Sarah Tygert

Sarah Tygert Rookie

Apr 7, 2018

I failed again. Score and of 212, k&s in dramatic performance and k in non written communication. I know what they mean, I have no idea how I did not fulfill the requirements. I remember the question, and I remember how confident and on top of that test I felt when I left.

I could not feel more defeated. Or utterly lost.