CSET- Biology III- an urgent question ?

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by Poo, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Poo

Poo Guest

Jul 12, 2005

Hi,

I am writing the CSET Biology-III this saturday(July 16) and need some urgent help regarding the following topic-

" Metabolism of macro-molecules like protein, lipids, nucleic acids, saccharides" - explain anabolic & catabolic pathways.

What does this actually refer to ? Based on what I know , the metabolism of carbohydrate( starch etc) gives simple sugar molecules. Does it involve glycolysis, oxidative decorboxylation and kreb's cycle ( Respiration) ?

Proteins are broken down into amino acids, lipids into glycerol & fatty acids, and nucleic acids into nucleotides.

I would really appreciate if anybody can throw some light on it.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 12, 2005

Teachergroupie asked me to help; I'm not sure I can answer all your questions, but I'll give it a shot.

Catabolism is the term for the metabolic decomposition reactions, and anabolism is the term for the combination reactions. So the catabolic pathways should be proteins into amino acids and starch and glycogen into glucose, and the anabolic pathways should be glucose into starch or glycogen and amino acids into proteins. The anabolic process permits the energy it takes to link the smaller molecules into one more complex one to be stored as the bonds between them; then, when the catabolic process occurs, the energy is released. In the case of the proteins, the main reason for converting them into amino acids is to have components to create new proteins; though plants can and do convert glucose into amino acids, animals rarely do the same and therefore need to get their acids elsewhere. Though animals can convert amino acids to glucose, they only do so when they don't have carbohydrates or fats to work from--that's why not eating for too long can cause muscle loss as well as loss of fat.

Respiration is the breaking down of glucose into pyruvic acid, and then into CO2 and water; it's why the carbohydrates need to be metabolized, but that's not a part of it.

4. Poo

Poo Guest

Jul 12, 2005

Thanks a lot for your help !

Would like to know more explanations.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 12, 2005

This is TeacherGroupie my ownself. Try looking for posts by cbickley, who posted some truly useful-sounding Web sites (there's one at either U of Arizona or Arizona State U); cbickley has passed in biology III, I think, so these can probably be trusted. In addition, if there are terms that Just Aren't Making Sense, try looking them up in Answers.com (http://www.answers.com).

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 13, 2005

I forgot to add that you might do well to take a field trip to your local Barnes & Noble to check out the SparkCharts (study sheets, laminated, in the test prep section) on biology, microbiology, environmental studies, and maybe even organic chemistry. This has the additional advantage of getting you out of the house and into an environment in which you can get a decent latte or the equivalent - and the outing might just save your sanity. One gets a little crazy after a while, no?

And PLEEEEASE take a break during the test, at least once.

7. Poo

Poo Guest

Jul 13, 2005

Hey TeacherGroupie, Thanks a ton !!

I really appreciate the kind of help you are providing here. The links mentioned by cbickley are very useful, esp the self quizz.

Thanks to cbickley as well !

8. cbickley

cbickley Rookie

Jul 13, 2005

Hi this is cbickley :) Yes I did pass the Biology III and Earth Science III in addition to I and II... glad you found the sites helpful poo. In terms of test taking techniques.... and a break... You will get all your test booklets at the start. Contrary to what it says in the "rules" you are allowed to have water in the room, just no food. I went directly to the constructed responses and read the questions in the booklets. That way they are in the back of your head as you are answering the mulitple choices and you can look for support there as well. Then I gave myself a break after the multiple choice section, re-read the constructed questions and took a bathroom break... and thought about the CS answers... that way I got to take a breath...get out of the room and really not lose any time. It was nice to get up and stretch too.

My other advice... these questions can be tricky... make sure you pick your best answer, mark it on the scantron and move on. I put a big question mark in the booklet next to the questions I was unsure of and then I can go back once I get through it all. But if you run out of time... at least you've committed to an answer and you stay on sequence in the scantron ;)

Best of luck!

9. Poo

Poo Guest

Jul 13, 2005

Hi Cbickley,

Congrats on passing both tests !

Thanks for your useful advices ! They sound practical.

Yeah, the links you posted were very informative. I took the quiz tests and did well- got 80% in most of the tests and 100 % in some .

I would really appreciate if you can help me out on the topic that I posted earlier in this thread- " Metabolism of macro-molecules( protein, saccharides, lipids, nucleic acids)- their anabolic & catabolic pathways". What am I supposed to write under this ? I don't know why, but I am kind of stuck in this question. I tried to read different resources, but couldn't understand them properly. Can you explain them ?

One more question- As you wrote in one of your posts that we should focus only on the domain listed on their website. If its not there, then it won't be on the test. I went through the syllabus and they have a few topics like " Role of Chloroplast in obtaining & storing usable energy" , or " Role of Mitocondria in cellular respiration" - Should I focus only on the roles of Chloroplast & Mitochondria or do I neet to study the whole process of Photosynthesis & Respiration? What do you suggest ?

Once again, thanks !

10. cbickley

cbickley Rookie

Jul 13, 2005

For catabolic and anabolic: take a look at
    http://tidepool.st.usm.edu/crswr/altsubstrates.html

You should understand the relationships between the different macromolecules and the energy process. There is more to cellular metabolism than metabolism of glucose. If you can understand this general process you will probably be okay. TeacherGroupie does a nice overview as well.

For Photosynthesis and Respiration and the relationship of the chlorplast and mitochondria:

You should understand the processes of both Photo/Respir.: reactants and products etc. (Also anerobic and aerobic respiration.) What the domains tell you is the depth of certain knowledge or the focus. But, you still must have the "big picture" of how it all fits into the equation.

Am I correct in assuming you passed Subtest II? If so, you have the big concepts down. With Subtest III you go a bit deeper.

Sounds like you're on the right track! Remember to breathe!

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 13, 2005

Some proctors allow water at the desk during testing and some don't. My advice is to take water, commercially bottled, plus something to nosh on; you'll probably have to leave the snack in the hallway, but if you're lucky the proctor will let you have water as you work.

I ABSOLUTELY endorse the taking of breaks. Five minutes less testing time is a small price to pay for getting your brain back online for the big push of the last two hours.

And, yes, remember to breathe!

12. Poo

Poo Guest

Jul 14, 2005

Thanks again Cbickley !

I have one more question- What is the distribution(number of multiple choice questions) of each domain in the subtset III-Biology/Life Sciences. According to the syllabus on their website, there are 4 domains - Cell Biology, Genetics, Evolution, Ecology. Can you give me a rough estimate of number of questions from each section ? I know its 70-30 ratio , but I have no idea about the total number of questions. ( Is it 50 ?? )

And any comments on constructed type responses ? What do they look for ? Are the questions direct?

Thanks in advance.

13. Poo

Poo Guest

Jul 14, 2005

Sorry I forgot to add- Yeah I have passed the subtest I & II, so I do have a general idea about Photosynthesis & Respiration.

Thank u again.

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 14, 2005

I'm not cbickley, and I don't have most of my notes handy... but there may be information about the distribution of questions in one of the Test Guides documents on the CSET Web site. Try the pdf whose filename contains something like "geninfo", or the one on test structure. If neither of those gives the information, chances are that the number varies from one test version to another.

15. Poo

Poo Guest

Jul 14, 2005

Thanks Teachergroupie !!

I went to the CSET website, but didn't get the required info. It only says that the multiple choice questions will account for approx. 70-75 % and the constructed responses will account for 25-30% of points available for the total score .

Thank u very much.

16. cbickley

cbickley Rookie

Jul 14, 2005

Hi Poo!

You're correct on the domains but it's Cell Biology and Physiology. There are 50 MC questions and 3 CS.

It seems to me the MC were fairly balanced over the domains. Alot of the questions require you to take different bits of knowledge and piece them together in the answer (synthesis and evaluation Bloom's Taxonomy). Remember to read the whole question and ALL of the answers. I've noticed that sometimes my initial response when reading the question is not necessarily the "best" response after I've read all the answer choices. So think things through and evaluate what the test designers are truly asking.

My CS questions were from Cell Biology and Physiology, Genetics and Ecology: one each. You are scored based on development of purpose, support, subject matter knowledge and breadth and depth of understanding. My questions were direct, but also several parts. Make sure to answer each aspect of the question to get full credit. However, it is my understanding that even one "original thought" will get you one point. So NEVER leave it blank ;)
    A person I know missed the Biology III by 7 pts. the first time she took it. She left one constructed response blank entirely :( she doesn't know if that would have tipped the scale... but she made sure to not do it again!

Best of luck... don't leave anything blank :D