CSET-ART

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by nasimi77, Nov 28, 2006.

1. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 11, 2009

I didn't mean for you to get the book again, but to see if there's a Web site for it with freebies that you can, um, borrow.

To study with a ten-month-old, try imagining the kid producing art at various ages, or try labeling the art techniques etc. in the illustrations in your kid's books: "Oh, look, Melchizedek: what a nice example of foreshortening! Do you see the foreshortening? ..."

2. saucykitty

saucykitty Rookie

May 11, 2009

I would really appreciate it if you could share the site url! thanks

3. wcoast99

wcoast99 New Member

May 13, 2009

Hi,

I'm taking the art cset subtest II this coming saturday and i'm really lost on how to study for this test. Is there anyone who's already taken the test and can tell me what's on it and how to study for it? What books should i study from? What kinds of questions are on the test? I would just like some insight on what the test is like and what sorts of questions will be asked.

For subtest I, I studied soley from wikipedia and googling topics in art. I'm not sure that I can do the same for subtest II. It's only a few days before the test and I havent started studying yet and I feel a bit panicked. Tips anyone?

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 13, 2009

Welcome to A to Z, wcoast99.

If you passed Subtest I solely on Wikipedia and Google, you're pretty good; carry on.

Subtest II, if memory serves, is the portfolio subtest. Among other things, you'll be asked to discuss your own artwork and your own art-making process. Make a point of using technical terminology from art-making but also from art pedagogy - you may find that online lesson plans are very helpful.

5. glocks90

glocks90 Rookie

May 14, 2009

I have taken the Subtest II 2 times and barely missed it I have to take it again. but, i did notice that most of the questions were the same. I kinda thought i was taking the same test and second guessed myself the whole time. I really just broke down the question and tried to understand the vocabulary.as much as possible and eliminated the 2 obvious no answers , I used my teacher text books I am "piloting" Art Talk and Art in Focus from Glencoe. I really like them for teaching high school art and they helped me review for the test. better than ANY test prep book I bought. I went over the chapter reviews and if i didn't know something i looked it up.

But good luck with the welding, woodworking and essays( I blanked out bad on my essays. I sat there for 20 min and didn't know what to write. so i did the drawing while i thought about the questions. I know my vocabulary but don't always know how to use it myself)

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 14, 2009

Spend tomorrow using the terminology, then, glocks90, as though you were modeling it for your students to use. Start with simple things you know well, then work into the tricker examples.

7. saucykitty

saucykitty Rookie

Jun 15, 2009

yay!!! I passed I and II!!!

Hey All,

I wrote part 1 in sept and passed... and just got my unofficial score for part 2 (from this past may) and passed that too!!!

just celebrating :)

sk

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 16, 2009

Congratulations, saucykitty!

9. Cali-Gal

Cali-Gal New Member

Jun 18, 2009

Hi All,

I just got my results for the CSET Art and passed both subtests! This is my first time posting, but I read this thread a lot when I was studying and found it very helpful, so I thought I would return the favor and add my advice to others. So here goes:

As far as I know, there is no study guide for this test. I looked and never found one.

Books I found helpful/relevant:
    Annotated Mona Lisa by Carol Strickland - Great overview of art history. It was a quick, fun read, and had lots of photos.
    Calliope's Sister by Richard Anderson - A strange read, but it sets the tone for the test and covers non-western art.
    Approaches to Art in Education by Laura Chapman - A very old book, but it has helpful information about the history of art education.

Read over the standards for visual arts. The vocabulary list was especially helpful.

But most of all, study the Principles of Design and the Elements of Art. If you have a firm grasp of the terminology and can use it in your essays, it will be easier to discuss the artwork they provide, even if you aren't familiar with the painting/sculpture.

Read the standards and vocabulary lists for dance and theater. I am not an expert in these areas, but they will ask you to compare visual and performing arts.

For the portfolio section, practice writing about your own art before the test so you don't have to plan or brainstorm once you get there. By the time I reached the second subtest I was already tired, so having my essays planned out was helpful.

I hope that helps! Good luck everyone =)

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 18, 2009

Cali-Gal, thanks very much for taking the time to give such terrific advice, and congratulations on having passed both subtests!

11. scvlptr

scvlptr New Member

Dec 30, 2009

Hi , Is any body using this post?
    cset 1 and 2 for art?
    If my area of concentration is sculpture and I show 3 works in the same medium, can I show another sculpture in say ceramics in my breadth of work?

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 30, 2009

Sure: you are. Welcome to A to Z.

I'd strongly recommend something a little less like your area of concentration. The point, after all, is to demonstrate breadth of expertise in art as well as depth, and I don't think that the scorers are going to see that in what you're suggesting.

Note, by the way, that the portfolio fills two functions: it allows you to show off your chops as an artist in different media, and in the accompanying constructed responses it also allows you to show off your chops in explaining and analyzing art.

13. pnutbutternjoey

pnutbutternjoey New Member

Jan 8, 2010

sculptr- I believe you cannot use a 4th additional scultpure in your breadth. You can call and ask but chances are they will tell you to use your best judgement and that following the guide is part of the test.

As for myself, getting ready for attempt number 3 at the art 2. The first time i was off by 12 points, the second time i was off by 7. Keeping my fingers crossed this time, any words of advice? If anyone would like to discuss study methods feel free to shoot me an email! langjoey@gmail.com good luck everyone!

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 8, 2010

Welcome to A to Z, pnutbutternjoey. And congratulations on getting five points closer on your second attempt.

You should see a chart of performance indicators on side 2 of your score report. Are you coming up short on particular question types (multiple choice vs. constructed response)? Or on particular domains (subject areas) in the test? Did you get checkmarks on the constructed responses or did you get p, k, s, and/or d?

15. Ace1

Ace1 Rookie

Feb 3, 2010

I would think that Ceramics would count as Sculpture. I think the main distinguishing feature of the work is if it is 3 dimensional or 2 dimensional. I am not sure though, since my concentration was painting - though I did include images of drawings.