CSET 118

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by jeast, Jan 1, 2015.

1. jeast

jeast Rookie

Jan 1, 2015

Hello all,

I'm taking the CSET 118 and 119 next week. I'm coming from an English background and have been self studying. I think I'm doing well studying with cliff and dummies books, but have been banging my head on the wall with physics.

I can't seem to get too far because I'm tripped up by trig. Most books (I tried 3) go into trig pretty quickly, even with vectors.

How complicated are the physics problems on the test? Are there trig problems, or do they keep the acceleration/time/displacement questions pretty basic?

I guess I just need to figure out what level of questions they ask. Is there a lot of specific problem solving or is the knowledge just generalized.

Any help would be great. I took physics many moons ago in HS and did well, but that part of my brain seems to have died. Maybe I gave it to my kids. :)

Thanks

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 2, 2015

Hi Jeast! First of all, good luck next week!! When I took all three of the CSET tests (this was a few years ago), I remember the math being very basic and simple- easy to do. I didn't even need the calculator that they supplied us for the test. Sounds like you have a lot of great resources already, but feel free to click on my signature link to view my blog that I created for the CSET test to see if there is anything on there that may be of some help. :)

4. jeast

jeast Rookie

Jan 2, 2015

Thanks Peachyness,

I have already been using your website. It summarizes a lot of things very nicely. It's so hard to find specific help for these tests that is focused, so thanks for doing that for everyone!

As long as it is basically following the formulas for things like 2as=vif....etc, I should be fine. But the cosign stuff leaves me shaking my head and I don't have time to go back and relearn that right now.

Should I know things like projectile motion and torque? Or is that going too deep?

That's what I'm afraid of, spending too much time going too in-depth.

Thanks again for any help.

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 2, 2015

Great questions. When I studied for all of the tests, I made sure to learn as much as I could, going as deep into as many areas, so that I could feel as prepared as possible. When it was time for the actual test, it ended up being a lot simpler than I had imagined in my mind. Also, on my test, I had no questions involving trig (but I still brushed up on it- I even took a calculus class to prepare!).

6. jeast

jeast Rookie

Jan 2, 2015

Thanks. I don't have the time to do the trig, but I'm glad to hear that you didn't find any on the test.

I'm pretty comfortable with the rest of the subjects on both tests at this point and feel pretty prepared. I hope to pass 119, and if I don't pass 118, I can retake it in March along with 120. That way I'll have a better idea of what to study in physics to get by. I'm hoping to teach middle school Life Science, so I will hopefully never have to deal with sine and cosine again!

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 2, 2015

Hahaha, well good luck! :) I would love to hear how it went.

8. jeast

jeast Rookie

Jan 3, 2015

I will let you know next week. :)

9. jeast

jeast Rookie

Feb 25, 2015

I passed both tests! I actually rocked the one I expected to do poorly on (118) and did ok on the other (119). I had issues with both CRs on 119. I did fine on one but had k and s listed for the second. Rightfully so, I think, as I blanked. I still aced most of the MC, so I was fine.

I will comment that I thought the nature of the questions was a little tricky. I have mad verbal skills (previous English teacher) and I am a very good tester, but I had a hard time interpreting what exactly they were asking for and which choice particularly answered the question. It was almost like they were TRYING to trip you up, which is kind of crappy. It felt more like a question trial than actually trying to determine my level of knowledge.

Just my 2 cents. FWIW. :)

10. jeast

jeast Rookie

Feb 25, 2015

Also, taking both 118 and 119 together was draining but helpful. There were questions on scientists I had never even heard of on both tests. For one of the questions, there was a question on the second test that pretty much explained that person's experiment, so I was able to go back and answer the question correctly on the first test. Pay attention to major scientific experiments and breakthroughs!

11. BrilliantBubba

BrilliantBubba Rookie

Sep 27, 2016

Hello!!
    Oh my goodness, reading this gives me hope that I just may have a chance of passing my CSET 118 after all!!

Seriously? Walked out of the exam room almost disoriented! Almost every question I read was a "WTF?" type of response from me.

And, yessss!!! The questions were more tricky than content-related! I felt like I wasted time re-reading each question AND the choices!! Uggghhh. They need to have a Californian English teacher on board and proofread the science questions!

Currently waiting a few more weeks for my scores, arrrrgggh.
    Currently studying same material, but differently, as if I didn't pass it.
    I really hope I don't need to take the 118 again.

::fingers crossed::

12. BrilliantBubba

BrilliantBubba Rookie

Oct 22, 2016

You guyzzzz, I have an update!!

I PASSED THE CSET 118!!! SO INCREDIBLY AWESOME to KNOW that I can leave the 118 study materials behind (well, at least for another 5 years).

To be honest, I almost had a panic attack opening the e-mail and dreading the actual read of "not passing" and was super-ecstatically SHOCKED that I saw the word "PASS"!!!

Knowing how I studied for the 118 - mostly used Peachyness free online study guide and supplemented by using UCI's free open courseware plus a few randomly borrowed library science books here and there - and actually passing the 118 gives me confidence to register to take both 119 and 120 on the same day.

Any of you have done that? Because the website won't let me register both tests on the same day for some reason.

I have to say, I am happy that test results showed I excelled in my MC questions, scoring ++++ for most of the different subjects (thank you, thank you very much ;)), but still got ++ for the two CR questions. I think the MC questions saved me, even though I haaaaaated the wording of all the MC questions and had to re-read each question at least 3x to understand them, so much that I ran out of time trying to completely answer the CR questions! AND I didn't have time to fully double-check my flagged MC questions!

Seriously, I wonder if this exam was graded on a curve, or I'm just smart and I don't give myself enough credit. :)

But yayyyyy, I can move on to my last two exams!!!

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 23, 2016

Congratulations, BrilliantBubba, on passing CSET Science 118! As long as you pass the other one or two subtests before five years elapse, you won't be taking them again.

It's possible that the ban on two subtests in one day is less about you and more about ensuring equitable access to testing slots. PearsonVUE centers seat less than two dozen test takers at a time, and teacher tests are far from the only exams given at them. In any case, there's nothing wrong with giving yourself a good night's sleep or two between subtests.

With ++++ in most subjects for multiple choice, I'm not surprised you passed despite just ++ in constructed response. First, constructed response accounts for just 20% of scaled points; multiple choice accounts for the remaining 80%. Second, the passing scaled score is 220, on a scale that runs from 100 to 300. For most teacher tests it's true that one needn't ace the test in order to pass it.