Critical thinking skills

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by bonneb, Nov 27, 2018.

1. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Nov 27, 2018

I have the opportunity to teach upper elementary students critical thinking skills. Can anyone recommend where to begin?

3. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Nov 28, 2018

Ask more open-ended questions than close-ended questions (questions with a simple yes or no type of answer). Teach using the Socratic Method. Steer students to the correct answer only as necessary — act more as a facilitator. Give them investigative tasks and problem-based projects. Have them watch movie clips and have them anticipate how the main protagonist will solve the crime before the protagonists do. Propose scenarios to them like, “What would the world be like if everything was monochromatic (in black and white) like in older movies? How would that affect human life on Earth?” Show them quotes made about scientific principles by lay people in the media and ask them why they are true or not true. Have student design experiments and conduct surveys.

Really, the sky is the limit. Concerning this phrase, ask students why the sky is the limit in a physical sense, but not in a metaphorical sense.

I hope you find this helpful.

Obadiah likes this.
  4. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Comrade

Nov 28, 2018

Critical Thinking Consortium

5. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Nov 28, 2018

A lot of it is also just breaking away from teaching rote skills by themselves in isolation, or simply giving them information. For example, no critical thinking needs to happen to memorize the standard multiplication algorithm. However, to develop why each step is happening, and remember it because of that understanding, requires critical thinking. Making connections between why 60 x 100 is equal to 30 x 200...etc... Analyzing authors' writing in their books to determine what a good introduction includes...rather than simply telling them what an introduction needs to have.

6. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Dec 3, 2018

I had to chuckle--I have had elementary students ask me, "Who invented color?" (Older TV shows are in black and white, so these students assumed they were filmed during a time when the world was in black and white, rather than using black and white film).

Back to the original subject: Analyzing kids' commercials might be a good project. What techniques did they use to promote their product?

I wish your class well. I'm finding many adults within my age group (I'm 60) who are just plain gullible, and for the first time in our lives we are bombarded with information-information-information. Growing up, it was just TV, radio, and periodicals, and that was only when you stood up and turned a dial or opened a magazine. Now, as quickly as I type in my phone's password, I have Chrome, Google News, other news apps, You Tube, texts, email, Slacker Radio, social media, profiled ads....and as for TV, now all you need is to click a remote for much more than the 4 channels I grew up with. And everywhere you go, department stores, the hospital, doctors' offices, even a barbershop, they have a TV blaring. Driving--nothing against billboards, but wow! Where did they all come from? Some billboards even electronically advertise more than one company. More than ever students need to learn to think logically and critically--what will the world be like when they are adults?

futuremathsprof likes this.