Creative Lesson Closures

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by h2omane, Nov 24, 2006.

1. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

Nov 24, 2006

Hi All,

My Teacher Associate does not really do any closure activities that I can see, but for my student teaching obligations i must have a intro and a closure for each lesson. I've done some review talks: "So what did we cover today..." and I've had the kids fill out a pictoral exit sheet. I'm going to have them draw something about what they have learned for the lessons next week.

I teach K-3 Phys Ed, Grade 3 Math and Grade 3 Science.

Do you know of any other types of creative closures I can do to make my evaluation happy as well as the students?

Thanks,

Mr. Skinner :D

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 25, 2006

One of the gym teachers I worked with had a 4 level participation rubric posted high on the wall by the gym door. As the students exited, they would jump up and "slap" the card that showed their level of participation in the activities that day.
    For Math or Science, they could each get an index card and write one important word from the day's lesson on the card and hand it in as a "ticket out". The next day, you could use the cards as a quick review.

4. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Nov 25, 2006

"Ticket out" is great and can be used at any level. I call it "Ticket to leave." In my first grade it may be "Gell me one thing about..." or "Give one observation about the design (or pattern) we made" before moving on to the next activity.

5. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

Nov 25, 2006

sounds good.

how long should the closure activty be? 2 minutes?

6. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Nov 25, 2006

I only do it before they transition to a place where they can be independently busy. Never make everyone wait while one child is thinking. For example, before you go to your center, your ticket to leave is to tell me..." Then as they write or verbalize their answer, they can go on to the next activity. It works best when they can write their answer down as then, no one has to wait for anyone else!

7. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

Nov 25, 2006

cool thanks for the tip

8. Teacher-AK

Teacher-AK Rookie

Nov 27, 2006

An A-Z of what they have learned...this can be done independently or in groups. Do content/inquiry where kids say what they learned and some things they may have questions about.

9. Miss_K

Miss_K Rookie

Nov 27, 2006

Summary Sam!

I have a little stuffed cat that lives under my chair and his name is Summary Sam - Summary Sam sleeps A LOT and always misses our lessons and wants to know what happened when they are over. My 2nd graders love it and it's good to use whenever - but especially when my supervisor or principal comes in for a lesson and I didn't have a great closure planned! :) I make this whole show out of it. I'm the only one that can hear Summary Sam and he tells me who he wants to visit(someone wearing green, a long trip - someone far away, someone with pigtails) they are stare around the room to see who he wants to visit. Then I toss him to them and they start a summary and he goes around and people add to it. I don't know how well this would work with older grades, but I know the young ones love it and so do I! :D

10. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

Dec 2, 2006

Awesome Idea, thanks.

11. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Dec 4, 2006

Pair-share is also another good one in which the children partner up and share with their partner what they learned from the lesson that day.

12. Carla

Carla Companion

Dec 17, 2006

closing

At our school we have to have a closing also, however our closing consists of just a quick review of the standard taught; The students do the rest. In math, let the students share their work. Be sure that they include how they got the answers to their problems. If they can explain it then they can better understand it. The kids gain a lot from this because they get to hear other ideas. There are more than one way to solve problems. You will have to model this, but it doesn't take long for the kids to pick it up. 2 stars and a wish is something I use. The audience (kids) have to give feedback on the share. This holds them accountable. 2 students tell something they liked, (star) and one student shares a wish about the share. Hope this helps

13. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

Dec 19, 2006

It does thank you.

14. srh

srh Groupie

Dec 19, 2006

K-W-L Charts always work well too--I've used them on the overhead. I found a site that added an "H" so that for me, it now means,

KNOW (What do we already know?)
    WHAT (What do we want to know/learn?)
    LEARN (What did we learn?)
    HOW (How will we--or how DID we--find out?)

Students can make their own charts, to be referred to during a unit so that they can chart their progress and/or add new information wherever it applies.

15. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

Dec 19, 2006

I wish i had this information for my last placement. I will use it in the future for sure.

16. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

Jan 5, 2007

has anyone done a jigsaw for a closure, one person at the university said to try it.

17. srh

srh Groupie

Jan 5, 2007

Since I teach Kinder, I haven't used it in class, but I sure got good at it during grad school. In fact, some workshops I've been in the past couple of years use the method too--it is very time efficient, and I would think it could be geared for almost any grade level and subject. It is a good way to get the information out in a short period of time, but it might take some practice!

18. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

Jan 11, 2007

What about bingo games for closures?

Any favourites?

19. srh

srh Groupie

Jan 11, 2007

BINGO is always a great idea! In the course of reading questions/answers, everyone gets a good review! I used to make up my own game called "LINGO" in my last career--I used it at employee conferences to test employees' expertise in such things as travel regs. You can be extremely creative with BINGO games, including the markers you use!