creative curriculum Gold

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by MooseLover, Apr 9, 2011.

1. MooseLover

MooseLover New Member

Apr 9, 2011

My school is looking into using the online assessment Teaching Strategies GOLD. Does anyone use it? Do you like it? What are the pros and cons with it? Thank you!

3. saralynn2006

saralynn2006 Companion

Apr 10, 2011

My school was looking into it but the director decided not to do it. I think it was because she didn't know any other school that was using it so she didn't want to be the one "testing" it out. :p I would love to hear anybody's feedback who is using it though! I am soooo sick of making post it notes for each objective!!!! :dizzy:

4. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Apr 10, 2011

Personally I hate it- as does everyone else in my district I've spoken with.

We see our kids 10 hours a week- just way to much data to get in that period of time.

Plus they have three sections with not much to them- yet it takes 30 minutes per kid to click through (arts, science and social studies).

5. saralynn2006

saralynn2006 Companion

Apr 10, 2011

I see my kids 10 hours per week also ....definitely not enough time for all the documenting that needs to be done for creative curriculum! What happened to just spending quality time with the kids?! I feel like all I do is document their every move!! :crosseyed:(

6. jbrinkm

jbrinkm Companion

Apr 11, 2011

I'm using it for the first time this year in a full day Pre-K program. I like that it is online, so I can input wherever and whenever I have computer access. I like that you are given concrete objectives that are correlated with your state standards. I like that you can put in the progressions as you are entering the observation, so it is easier to do reports. I really like all the tech-y features that allow the same data to be used for individual child planning, lesson planning, parent connections, etc. I like all of the activities that are available to meet the objectives you still need to address (although I don't find many of them to be that "creative" - just easily accessible and they make planning go faster.

With that said, it is very time consuming to collect all of that data, and stressful when you feel that you are falling behind. It would be nice to be able to thoughtfully use the current levels of the students to cycle back with strengths and needs into my next round of lesson planning, but the truth is, I'm just trying to get the darn things entered in on time. I also wish there was more of a seemless transition between collecting in the classroom and entering the data into the system (i.e. phone app, or even really good printouts). The printouts for collecting data are limited (called "Assessment Opportunity Cards") and awkward. Since the students are entered into the system, you should be able to print the Assessment Card with the student names already entered, but you can't. You get a generic form with tiny little lines that you have to write all of the names in by hand. Some of the wording for the different levels of progression is unclear and makes it hard to determine what level to enter for the child. So little things like that add up to some frustration.

But overall, it is probably a great system for truly evaluating the children in a fairly objective manner and informative for all the stakeholders, even if it is a bit cumbersome for the teacher.

7. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Apr 11, 2011

Exactly- I feel like I assess - know who can't do rhyming words, count to 20 etc. etc. etc. but I never have time to expose/teach a skill because it gets in the way of the assessments. So what's the point?

8. saralynn2006

saralynn2006 Companion

Apr 11, 2011

I feel like the normal assessment I do besides my million post-it notes would really be sufficient!!!! I assess what I feel are important skills needed before Kindergarten (most match up with the objectives Creative Curriculum has) but my assessments don't require me to waste SOOO much time writing down assessments about 50 objectives!!! I'm a first year teacher so this process has been mind boggling for me! :dizzy:

9. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Apr 11, 2011

Well this is supposedly an "improvement" from the old system- (It isn't).

10. saralynn2006

saralynn2006 Companion

Apr 12, 2011

I'm not a fan either!!! :( I am soooo behind on Spring assessments!!! :eek:hmy:

11. gpsysngbrd

gpsysngbrd Companion

Apr 13, 2011

Moose, I just got back from a staff meeting and it sounds like our center will be piloting this program as an assessment tool as well!

12. MooseLover

MooseLover New Member

Apr 14, 2011

Thank you all for your comments. I believe my school is going to try it for next year and see what we think

13. Wanda

Wanda New Member

Apr 30, 2013

I hate it...........it consumes all your time and leaves very little for one on one with kids. It is very stressful and time consuming. I feel that the quality of teaching goes downhill and the flexibility in teaching is effected. Gone are the days were you can just play it by ear on how and what you are going to do on any given day based on the mood of the children. Now it is all about getting anecdotes and get them entered for 32 preschoolers. It has totally taken the joy I had with working with children away because I no longer work with them. I have been teaching children for over 15 years and because of GOLD I am now looking into leaving teaching.

14. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 1, 2013

If it is the one where you input the child's abilities and it pops up with new goals, I have used it. Yes, it is very time consuming. If one has enough paid time to use it, I think it would be useful. A teacher really has to know her kids and be on top of paperwork to use such a detailed system. I also believe that many ECE teachers can teach by instinct. I know this sounds crazy, but put me in a classroom and I can roll through the day quite nicely. I need a lesson plan to keep me on tract, but could function without one if needed.

I remember going on an interview and having to wait in the classroom with the kids. By the time the interview began, I had had an impromptu circle time with the kids. I never had an interview. They just offered me the job.

15. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

May 2, 2013

Lol, you would Blue....I can see you working circle in. I have gotten conversations going with lil folk while waiting...but not EVER a full on circle!

I was looking at CCGS before I left my own personal program. I did think it was something I could do with a full day/ full year program. Heading into my new 2 hr/ school year program....no I don't think I would be as pleased at all.

16. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

May 18, 2013

I was new to it this year and I LOVE IT! It sounds like I had some advantages maybe you all didn't.

1. We are not allowed to be on the computer while the kids are in class. All of our in class time is to be spent with the kids. We have prep time each day without kids during which we enter our observations.

2. I came from a school with absolutely no organization, no assessment tools, no way to keep kids from falling through the cracks, no objectives stated. Teaching Strategies was like a dream come true for me - I finally had a concrete way to track each child, and could at any time generate a report to see which little kiddos were slipping past me. Then I could focus on those kids for a while.

3. I had administrators who just kept encouraging me! My first term documentation was certainly skeletal, but by third term, I had some meat on those bones. I was proud of my work.

4. A co-worker gave me a great tip! I take photos throughout the day while spending time with the kids playing games, exploring, and doing activities. I get to enjoy the kids, and they love to have their pictures taken. After school I go to Teaching Strategies, upload the photos, and spend about 20 minutes on documentation. The pics help me remember the special moment when a child shows growth toward an objective.

5. I had fantastic co-workers who were willing to spend some time training me on the program. Once you get the hang of it, it is really a super way to track each child.

Hope those of you who will be using it this fall will go in with an open mind and be successful! For me, it was exactly what I needed to stay on track with each child. It also helped me with lesson plans, class structure, and reports.

17. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Comrade

May 18, 2013

Stressful

I love the idea of ongoing and continuous assessment and the developmental continuum for objectives that TSG provides. However, I strongly dislike how it's used in our program and how stressful it has become. I teach preschool in a public school and therefore am
    required to align all of my lesson plans with both state standards and TSG standards. We have 3 checkpoints a year, requiring 1 observation for every objective, for each child. This isn't awfully hard, but when you have 2 classes, with 19 students in each class, that's 38 children to keep track of an awful lot of objectives. We also have 1/2 of each class with an IEP that I have to monitor and keep data, all put into a separate program.

Anyways...I would love to hear how everyone else keeps data and records observations. I've tried it many different ways, but it always seems that the day before checkpoints are due, I'm sitting at the computer for hours after school trying to enter observations.

18. Alesia

Alesia Companion

May 19, 2013

The on the spot observation tool helps a lot with getting/entering observations on children. The only thing about it is, it does not cover all of the areas (only physical, literacy, and math).

19. wyvern

wyvern Companion

May 19, 2013

Not a fan. We've been using it for about 4 years. Way too much data collection, too many checkpoints, and yet other areas don't seem to be addressed at all. It never asks if children can identify colors. It doesn't seem to address whether children have postive self concepts. It's very frustrating as I have 20 children and need observations in each checkpoint for each child. The Child Progress and Planning report is impersonal and over the parents heads.

20. Sabby12s

Sabby12s Companion

Jun 29, 2013

We've been using Creative Curriculum and now Teaching Strategies Gold since 2007 and I agree with what most others posted. It is a lot of data gathering and assesment, but not a lot of time is spent on moving kids forward to reach the next step. My teachers do not get a lot of paid prep time. You could practically hire another person just to imput their observations. As a supervisor I have a hard time encouraging it because I don't find it useful. The parents don't get the new format of the progress report either.

21. Alesia

Alesia Companion

Jun 29, 2013

I think that Gold could be useful if teachers had more time to input and analyze data. It would also be nice to have training on how to use the reports that are available in Gold.

I would love to be able to really look at documentation (especially those of my assistants) to be able to plan next steps for the children in my care.