Creating Scales from Standards

Discussion in 'General Education' started by miss-m, Feb 16, 2017.

1. miss-m

miss-m Cohort

Feb 16, 2017

My district is working on developing learning scales from standards, and I'm working on it on my own right now with the information they've given us so far...
    I think I'm getting it; the learning goal associated with the standard is a 3. That's easy enough. Then I can use a slightly incomplete/lower skill from the declarative and procedural knowledge required to create the 2 level.

However, I'm getting stuck at the 1 and 4 levels. In my mind these can go two ways: either I use the connected standards from the other grades (so if I'm grade 2, I can use the grade 1 standard as a baseline for a 1 and the grade 3 standard as the 4), OR I use Bloom's taxonomy/Marzano's taxonomy (what my district uses even though it's basically identical) to increase/decrease the rigor and level. I feel like the standards do this a little already, but I'd like some input from people who've done scales before!

Here's an example of what I've got so far:

RL.2.2 Recount stories, including fables and folktales from diverse cultures, and determine their central message, lesson, or moral.

Declarative (Know)
    Stories, fables, folktales, central message, moral, lesson

Procedural (Do)
    Recount stories
    Determine central message or lesson

4 - I can explain how the lesson or moral of a story is conveyed through key details of the text. (RL.3.2)
    3 - I can recount fables and folktales from different cultures and determine what the central message or moral of the story is.
    2 - I can retell a story, fable, or folktale from different cultures.
    1- I can retell a story, including key details, and show that I understand the central message. (RL.1.2)

I think I'm off on the 1-2 progression on this one, because 1 seems more complex than 2 to me. Should I be looking more at the taxonomy levels than the connected standards in other grades?

3. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Feb 16, 2017

From what I remember from my Marzano trainings, 4.0 is more application of the 3.0 standard, such as applying it to real issues, or explaining how the moral of a story relates to issues today. A 1.0 was kind of like a 2.0 but with help. Like "I can identify the main events in a fable or folktale with help."

Here is an example I found in my Google Drive.

[​IMG]

miss-m likes this.
  4. miss-m

miss-m Cohort

Feb 16, 2017

Ok... That makes sense. I'm still using the gr. 3 standards as a stretcher just to help me see where they should be going, but your picture helps a lot. Here's what that one looks like now:
    upload_2017-2-16_17-26-26.png

I guess I'm thinking that in terms of complexity (and based on how this particular standard went with my students), students can retell the story before they can figure out what the moral is. And determining how the moral applies to life is more complex than just knowing what the moral/lesson is. Right?
    I know there's going to be more PD on this, but it's so hard for me to focus at PD because teachers are usually the worst about listening when someone's talking!

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 16, 2017

These are also called 'progressions of learning'. You might be able to google and find some that fit your content. And yes, look at grade above and below.

6. miss-m

miss-m Cohort

Feb 16, 2017

I've been looking up examples, but they're all so different in terms of formatting and language that it's hard to fit them together. The ones I've found have helped a lot with wording and verbs for each level though.